• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turned down a CAL job offer today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is this what they offer in Indoc? Are those numbers fairly accurate?

Thanks

love the avatar, Goggles. is that 'The Thinker' or 'The Stinker'?

i got supplemental insurance on my own. single w/ no kids. $105/month and a $500 deductible as i recall. no dental or vision. i had a $10,000 emergency care policy with State Farm already...so i felt ok plowing thru the first 5.2 months of probation until i gained company coverage.

it's absolute b.s. that there is a waiting period for health care coverage for newhire MAJOR AIRLINE pilots at CAL. it's absolute b.s. that the starting wage is $29.97/hr for a newhire MAJOR AIRLINE pilot at CAL. i dealt with it and i don't want anyone else to have to. i will never forget that precarious time in my career. i intend to help make it better. just as good parents want better for their children...so should fellow workers want their legacy to be an improved workplace for those who follow after.

times are changing. i look forward to vast improvements in the next COLLECTIVE bargaining agreement. collective means all pilots working together towards a better life for all.

As a coach I've seen the "comfortable" senior Regional captain quite a bit. Guys get comfy at 70-80k, good schedules, and mimimum hassles. They also are proabably a bit risk adverse at times. However--even on the post 9/11 contracts legacies offer some unique benefits you just don't find at the regionals, and the POTENTIAL for some better snap-back contracts. It seems to me the age 40 thing hits a lot of regional guys--they realize to get 20 years at a major they better get off their duff and get moving. Saw 2 Pinnacle guys at FDX that span the gamut--one hired at 26 and the other at 40. Neither guy was "wrong", but the lifelong earnings of Mr Aggressive 26 year old will be much, much higher. Its not always about money, but I say get to a company you can retire from as soon as possible.

I once had big eyes and dreams...turning down an offer at a great airline in anticipation (sp) of an interview with a better airline??? WTF? There is a great chance you'll never get that interview. If you do get the interview you want, there is a great chance you won't get the job...Even if you can land a plane on the head of a pin. This process can and will take years. Where as if you took Continental, you'd be a 3rd year fo getting ready for upgrade. Then you would be in a position to get the dream interview and you'd increase the probability of getting hired ten fold. The interviews your competing for are the interviews that the guys you mentioned are leaving Cont. are getting. I know of several super qualified pilots with contacts and connections comming out of their arse. More are turned down than hired. It's not easy out there. I would deal with the bad pay and no insurance for the first year, rather than wait for an interview you'll probably never get. Nice job burning that bridge...Why the heck did you apply in the first case? Sorry brother, but I think you made a poor decision.

and i think he's a flamebait thrower...

btw: i turned down the top job at Microsoft and didn't answer Warren Buffet's calls when he wanted to buy me out :rolleyes:

lighten up francis,

and whats with the language, I thought this was a family board. The name is a joke since you obviously don't get the humor. Let me help you out. In my profile you will see that my current position is "behind bars". You see, I am making fun of the real johnny taliban. Get it? And before you get on your high horse about serving your country let me state that I did as well.

good day

I'm Scrapdog, but you can certainly call me Francis if you'd like. With any SA whatsoever, you can see with my one vulgar word (and that was with asterisks), I think it was hardly offensive and instead said to prove a point more emphatically. And this was nothing compared to some other rants I've seen on here - a family board??? come on man, give me a break! Now I get your humor seeing the behind bars thing...yep, I get it - funny I guess. Never did I say anything about being on a high horse and serving my country...as a matter of fact I didn't mention it at all. And BTW, thanks for serving yours. Take a deep breath...feel better?

Back to the point at hand - a guy should never feel like he has "to hold the bar" because he takes a job offer that may be crappier (didn't say the "s" word - didn't want to offend anyone) than you would. If he likes it and it feeds his family, then by all means - take it. That's all I was trying to say.

You have a good day yourself,
Sincerely Francis aka. Scrapdog

Is this what they offer in Indoc? Are those numbers fairly accurate?

Thanks

During indoc they gave out a couple of brochures. You figure out what works best for you and set it up yourself. I'm not sure what everyone else chose, but that's what I paid for my plan.

it's absolute b.s. that there is a waiting period for health care coverage for newhire MAJOR AIRLINE pilots at CAL.

My wife was hired as an of counsel at a MAJOR law firm in a large city.
She had to wait 6 months for hers to kick in as well. guess whatever the profession these days, we all get shafted.:rolleyes:

OMG! Seriously?

Anyone that would do that is got to be the biggest f***ing moron on the planet!

Yes, seriously. Moron, I don't know about that but I agree with you their decisions were highly questionable. I can think of at least 20 guys/gals who did this, and I know there are more.

Turning down a job because you "heard some first year guys were leaving CAL," is in my opinion not the smartest decision. I would at least maybe find out why they were leaving, or even if it is true. Im sure every airline has first year guys that are leaving for a number of reasons, some having nothing to do with the airline, and more with the job itself or other opportunities. You would probably come off looking better if you just simply stated some of your other reasons, first year pay cut, cost of insurance, possibility of merger, hub cities not desirable to you, and many many more.

I can remember in 01 when I left COEX and a spot at CAL for SWA, one of my classmates telling me I was crazy for leaving for another reginal. "Hey come on, we are all going to be CAL captains in 3 years." We may actually be holding a CA spot at the same time, but that decision I made had different perspectives at different times in the last 6 years. Time will tell.

None of us know what is going to happen next year, much less twenty or thirty years from now. I think this job that we do, and some of us enjoy and make good livings at, will be gone in the next twenty years. We will be replaced by computer, foreign pilots, autoflight and more sofisticated methods of travel. Enjoy it while its here.

...I cannot bring myself to take the massive pay-cut and no insurance for 6-months

If this was a big part of your reasoning then why did you even interview? It's not like the 1st year payscale and insurance info is a big secret. Short term sacrifice...long term gain. I'd rather be at CAL than flying an ERJ but to each their own. Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back