• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turned down a CAL job offer today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guys, geez! I am not trying to badmouth CAL or anyone else.

The main reason is that I didn't want to take a massive paycut from my current job to go to CAL only to leave for another airline, if they call that is.

I can still make 70k or so while waiting for another airline to call, as opposed to waiting for another airline while flying at CAL for such a paycut.

Also, it concerns me that many new hires (from what I hear) are actually leaving CAL in the first few years to go elsewhere. Yes, that concerns me and it affects my decision. Why are they all leaving?

Finally, I have ALWAYS wanted to go to CAL, but now that many other airines are hiring, I am thinking that I might have a chance elsewhere. Maybe not, but maybe. And I won't have to live with no insurance and a big paycut while I figure it all out.

Sorry if I offended, but it was a big decision, and I sincerely hope that I don't regret it.

Also, it concerns me that many new hires (from what I hear) are actually leaving CAL in the first few years to go elsewhere. Yes, that concerns me and it affects my decision. Why are they all leaving?
Because they're stupid...?

What did I win? :D

Seriously though, the only reason to pass up a major airline job OFFER from a regional is because you simply can't live with it, either for domiciles, commuting, quality of life, career pay.

1st year pay and insurance is a pretty dumb reason. So you pay $600 a month for Cobra for 6 months = $3,600. Don't you have that much in savings anyway?

As far as pay cut the first year, put the wife to work. ;)

Finally, I have ALWAYS wanted to go to CAL, but now that many other airines are hiring, I am thinking that I might have a chance elsewhere. Maybe not, but maybe. And I won't have to live with no insurance and a big paycut while I figure it all out.
WTF?

You "ALWAYS" wanted to go to CAL?

But you're thinking you might have a chance elsewhere?

Which is it? If CAL is where you always wanted to go, why do you WANT a chance elsewhere?

Sorry if I offended, but it was a big decision, and I sincerely hope that I don't regret it.
Stupidity isn't offensive, as long as you keep it to yourself. ;)

Last edited:
I never thought I would be turning down a job offer from a legacy airline, but I turned down a CAL job today to hold out for a better airline.

I've heard of too many people leaving there recently, and I cannot bring myself to take the massive pay-cut and no insurance for 6-months when I know that I can probably get an interview with SWA, UPS, FedEx, DAL, UAL, etc. in the near future.

I am making good money right now, so I would rather not settle for working under such a horrible contract. I agree that it will probably get better there, but probably not for a while.

Am I going to regret it?

Go up to COVE HAVEN and RENT THE ROOM WITH THE CHAMPAGNE GLASS JACUZZI !!! If you are a true POCONO PILOT you will know exactly what I am talking about

Pocono,

Don't worry about Skywriter, he knows not of what he speaks, as evidenced below.

Come interview at SWA, get hired, and luv life.
My buddies who work at SWA fly twice as hard as I do...

They also get paid a lot more, but I don't like flying more than 5 hours a day, 8 hours of duty, or more than 3 legs.

What can I say? I'm lazy. ;)

DAL and UAL you mention, hmmm.... I will not speak on SWA, another great company, pay is great, etc.

Pay is great at SWA? Wow, how have times changed! The pay at SWA is decent. Nowhere close to where it should be. Look at UAL/DAL rates five years ago. That is where rates should be. You sell yourself and your peers short with your mindset. We are our own worst enemy. Enjoy!

My guess is that you'll regret it. Yeah, the first year pay and six months of no insurance has been a constant concern to all who have had to consider working at CAL. After that year, things get much better. If you have many years left in this career, you can't think so short-sighted. Jmho.

The people who left were all around the first year here. It's not hard to imagine why they left for FedEx since the pay is miles ahead. Also, the ones who left for SW had their personal reasons too as far as where they thought they would fit better. Overall, I wouldn't say that it's a whole lot of people,but given their circumstances, it's understandable. Heck, if I were in my first year, I think I would have jumped at FedEx too. Since I've passed that milestone, no other airline seems enticing. That's just me though. We all have our own values and goals, so to each his own.

Dude, what were you thinking? How else were you going to get a free 737 type with paid accomodations and per-diem?

Now what? You will have to ACTUALLY go out and BUY your own type, pay for your room at Higher power or FTI if you want to go to SW.

Disclaimer: If anybody can't see the humor, get a life.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back