• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turned down a CAL job offer today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guys, geez! I am not trying to badmouth CAL or anyone else.

The main reason is that I didn't want to take a massive paycut from my current job to go to CAL only to leave for another airline, if they call that is.

I can still make 70k or so while waiting for another airline to call, as opposed to waiting for another airline while flying at CAL for such a paycut.

Also, it concerns me that many new hires (from what I hear) are actually leaving CAL in the first few years to go elsewhere. Yes, that concerns me and it affects my decision. Why are they all leaving?

Finally, I have ALWAYS wanted to go to CAL, but now that many other airines are hiring, I am thinking that I might have a chance elsewhere. Maybe not, but maybe. And I won't have to live with no insurance and a big paycut while I figure it all out.

Sorry if I offended, but it was a big decision, and I sincerely hope that I don't regret it.

I wish you would have talked to me before you turned down the job. I have a lot info and have flown with many ex exjet pilots who are very happy. You could always leave for something else. I have heard some of pilots who were in the Schindlers list (113) that turned down CAL because of the same reasons you did regret it today when they see how fast there peers have moved up in such a short time.

As far as the contract look at Fedex that is what we are going for. Will we be successful only time will tell but I wouldn't be dedicating significant time to a union position if I didn't believe it was attainable. We are looking for a contract by early 09 company wants by 12 or 13 will see if our pilots are ready to poke the company in the eye and for once fight for a real contract.

Good luck.

Guys, geez! I am not trying to badmouth CAL or anyone else.

The main reason is that I didn't want to take a massive paycut from my current job to go to CAL only to leave for another airline, if they call that is.

I can still make 70k or so while waiting for another airline to call, as opposed to waiting for another airline while flying at CAL for such a paycut.

Also, it concerns me that many new hires (from what I hear) are actually leaving CAL in the first few years to go elsewhere. Yes, that concerns me and it affects my decision. Why are they all leaving?

Finally, I have ALWAYS wanted to go to CAL, but now that many other airines are hiring, I am thinking that I might have a chance elsewhere. Maybe not, but maybe. And I won't have to live with no insurance and a big paycut while I figure it all out.

Sorry if I offended, but it was a big decision, and I sincerely hope that I don't regret it.

What are your plans if no other airline calls? XJT may be good now but look how things have changed for you in the last year, if that flying doesn't work then your company will be in trouble and things won't be so rosy at XJT. I'd say it was a bad choice since you seem to think you can get a job anywhere..

I cannot bring myself to take the massive pay-cut and no insurance for 6-months when I know that I can probably get an interview with SWA, UPS, FedEx, DAL, UAL, etc. in the near future.

I am making good money right now, so I would rather not settle for working under such a horrible contract. I agree that it will probably get better there, but probably not for a while.

Am I going to regret it?

Assuming you really were asking -- but skeptically thinking you weren't...

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

If you really wanna go to a major, I imagine that the longer you wait the larger of a paycut you will take regardless of where you go.

Plus, a guy who has turbine PIC + time flying a Boeing or a Bus at a major carrier is most likely gonna get called for an interview at another before the guy that has turbine PIC and only time in a 145/CRJ. Just my opinion of course but based on what I've seen....

I never thought I would be turning down a job offer from a legacy airline, but I turned down a CAL job today to hold out for a better airline.

I've heard of too many people leaving there recently, and I cannot bring myself to take the massive pay-cut and no insurance for 6-months when I know that I can probably get an interview with SWA, UPS, FedEx, DAL, UAL, etc. in the near future.
You're like, full of crap...........Ma'an.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back