• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turboprop vs. Jet below 10,000'

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A while back a controller commented in a different thread that SWA complies so well that they are unofficially given preferential treatment.

So I'm doing 250 inbound to the field when Southwest checks on. I can see on TCAS that he's further from the field than we are, and I KNOW he's limited to 250, just like all the rest of God's creatures below 10k. Both of us are headed direct to the field when ATC gives us, the turboprop, a 45 degree deviation to follow the jet.

It happens EVERY TIME, even if they're 5 or 10 miles behind us! We have these wicked speed brakes called "propellers", landing gear, and flaps. Heck, we can even slip it if we gotta. We routinely do 250 to the marker and only JUST hit our Vapp at 500' just as our FLOP calls for in a VFR stabilized approach. But when we're given the headings to follow the traffic, we end up having to hit the breaks and slow to 130kts on base to avoid getting a tour of the rest of the state.

What gives? This is starting to rub me raw.

Shy

At least your doing 250 below 10. Every time I am flying into CLE, atc puts us behind a dash and has us slow to 170 knots like 30nm from the field.

This is probably by far the most confusing situation I have found myself in...

I was flying along in my Citation 10, doing M .90 on our way to TEB. We were somewhere within Chicago Center's airspace, 900 miles or so from our destination. Center gave us a 90 degree turn to the left, followed by a 180 turn to the right along with a "slow as practical" request, then back on course. I asked what this was for, and he informed me that someone in Washington's flow control center decided to make 2 other GA jets that were BEHIND us #1 and #2 to the airport, making us #3. The aircraft they made #1 was a Falcon 20, and they made a G4 #2. The controller even said "I don't understand it either. You are much faster than both of those other airplanes, I don't know why they didn't just leave you #1." After all that, by the time we got over Michigan we were given normal speed. I think we were eventually given a speed restriction on the arrival to follow the Falcon. Anyone know a Falcon 20's Vmo? Ours is 350 kias.

I know some/most Citations are affectionately known as slow-tations, but anything cruising at the speeds we cruise at can hardly qualify as slow.

Maybe the guy making the sequence decisions didn't know what C750 means, but surely he should have seen our 550+ kt groundspeed. Any insight as to what could have been going on that day?

Don't the jets have higher approach speeds? Don't we start slowing to apporach speeds 5-10 miles from the field, don't jets burn more fuel adding to the expense of the operation?

At USA Jet we leave everyone behind. While Southwest is on a weather hold, USA Jet is launching to the same city, but a 5000 foot runway. Get some!

200 Kts

At USA Jet we leave everyone behind. While Southwest is on a weather hold, USA Jet is launching to the same city, but a 5000 foot runway. Get some!
Don't forget 200 kts max below 3'000 AGL unless higher requested by ATC. GOM Chap 4 pg 67

Latest resources

Back