• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA tells pilots what flashlights they can and can't use

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
why would you want to spend $99.99 on a stupid flashlight. I have never used the one in my bag. The batteries may even be dead for all I know.

why would you want to spend $99.99 on a stupid flashlight. I have never used the one in my bag. The batteries may even be dead for all I know.

because you can kill someone with it.

Seriously though, same reason you spend $300 on a pair of David Clarks instead of $50 on a cheap headset. Tough as nails, excellent quality, lasts forever, etc.

The incredible thing about it (like all surefire's with 2 lithiums) is that it is 10x brighter than a huge d-cell maglite. No kidding.

Target sells tough, weather resistant led flashlights that fit the bill and are a hell of a lot cheaper then 100 bills. As for killing people... that's what the crash axe is for, or my FO's .45, or my metal ball point pen, or the flight attendants looks. I hate getting my flashlight dirty.

I'm a fan of those high powered LED flashlights out there. The 3 watt and 6 watt ones are perfect. Brighter than any filament bulb light and will light up the tail of a 727 easily.

Sounds like they should be standard issue in the cockpit. Bright, could potentially help keep an intruder at bay, but not as lethal as a gun, which you can go get training to carry in the cockpit, anyway.

However, you might accidently shoot someone in the eye with a flashlight. Those things have accidently blinded way to many innocent people. There should be a waiting period before your allowed to purchase one of those retina burners. As for the H&K 45, now that's something everyone should own. Plus at night, if you really need to get someones attention, you can always use a 45...

-Spartacus

I just wish the TSA would change their focus from grandmas, babies and pilots with water bottles to terrorists.

I agree..they hassle me with my maglite flash light and ipod more than anyone else. And I'm sick of seeing my 900 year old grandma go through in a while chair and have to get up and walk through the metal screener...there is a dam* reason she's in a fukin wheel chair..its insane...El Al uses racial profiling and is regarded the most secure, and most targeted airline in the world...thats not politically correct here..

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back