• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA Security Nazis At Work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh brother:rolleyes: In reality what's happening is guys like him are getting the fifth degree, while the real perps are keeping their mouths shut and strolling right on by.......

That scene in the movie Airplane really was prophetic, where guys are walking through the metal detector with recoiless rifles and RPGs, and nothing happens, but a little old lady gets thrown up against the wall.

Several weeks ago, a woman had a page from a catalog confiscated by airport security. She was shopping for a gift, and had found a set of steak knives that she wanted to order. The folks in security took the page WITH THE PICTURE OF THE KNIVES! Hello, McFly...Hello!...Anybody Home?

Sickening

Sickening.

Just watching CNN. The report on the TSA's new screeners. In Chicago, Boston, and Washington these men and women earn $35,000 a year to start.

As a regional airline first officer, I make $20/hr or, a little less than $20,000 a year.

They earn over $15000/yr MORE than I do. Their job? Apparently molesting elderly women, little children, and flight crews -- and determining flight-crew sobriety of course.

Something is wrong. Where is the ALPA leadership??

Guys,

Just came thru LGA where I witnessed a couple of searches in the gate area. I must say that my first impression with these TSA screeners is a step in the right direction. They looked like people who knew what they were doing. Moreover, they were polite to the passengers that they were screening. Lets face it--if these folks can get the job done (make sure our planes have no one wishing to do us harm on them) and can make pax security more timely, Id say theyre doing a good job which means pax will keep coming back which means you and me and everyone else in commercial aviation will have flying jobs. Only time will tell.

Now, it may just be me, but some of you guys may want to give this latest step a chance before you pass judgment on the entire program.

I went through JFK and MCO this weekend and was almost impressed by the TSA people. They were efficient and polite. I was able to get a nice contrast between the old and the new when a private security guy would not let me bring my crew bag to the gate because is was ever so slightly larger than the template thingie at his post. He informed me that it was an FAA reg. I asked which one and he was stumped. Since I was on a ticket and not in the mood for a cavity search, I checked the bag. I could not walk away without telling him he's an idiot, squarely to his face. The TSA guys agreed.

I'm happy for the changes, but they still need to leave old people and children alone.

I sure hope that the increase in pay for these people results in an increase in the quality of the product, because there are some very serious inconsistencies that continue to make us vulnerable.

Here are just a few that I've noticed recently.

1. How is it that the hundreds of ATL based flight crews that report to work every day and are not screened because they are fully credentialed employees can fly to say DFW and enter the sterile or SIDA area where the same companie's flight crews are being given the third degree and sending their shoes through the x-ray machine to get to the same area?

2. Why are fingernail clipper nail files being confiscated when in the last 48 hours I passed through the screening areas at DFW,XNA, and ATL while non revving with several metal hangers in my garment bag that in a matter of minutes with a bit of duct tape and yankee ingenuity could have been fashioned into enough shanks to arm the entire airplane?

3. The other day I was passing through the DFW checkpoint with my hat in hand because for some reason they wanted to see it done that way and managed yet again to not set off the metal detector. Emboldened by this I asked the screener, achnad, why my hat needed to be in hand rather than on my head where the company prefers it to be. He responded that they had to see if anything was inside of it. OK I said, but did I not just go through the metal detector without setting it off? Yes he replied, but they have to look anyway. I then asked why they did not look inside of our socks, underwear, or other body cavities that could hide something if that was the logic behind the policy. He stared blankly back at me while I smiled and waved at an ATL based flight crew who was sauntering past on a break between flights!

Those stupid retards for TSA are even more pathetic than ITS or Argenbrite ever was!!!!!

Especially at T-5 at ORD...But what do you expect when the federal government is running the operation? Not a single person at the checkpoint has an IQ higher than room temperature!!!

Hey everyone,

You should be discrete about anything associated with Security. It is a sensitive subject and should be given some respect. These people are just doing what they were trained to do and they are not able to defend themselves because they have sworn to keep their mouths shut about anything associated with their jobs. Contrary to popular belief they have a VERY important job.

As for pointing out precise flaws, that should be pointed out to the responsible party or their superiors not spread on a message board that anyone can read. You never know who is reading these posts!!! I am not trying to flame anyone here, but some of these posts lately are too descriptive. CONFIDENTIALITY is a must in this industry. Let's make it impossible for a terrorist to find out our procedures.

I know it looks ridiculous what has been done at some of these checkpoints, but you can never be too careful. The press is the worst about jacking their jaws about flaws in the system, but they are ususally very ill-informed so there is usually very little valuable info that they leak out.

Fly Safe,
Profjetpilot

Latest resources

Back