Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
M

mnalpha

Here is a quick story of how stupid the TSA can be. Was on a trip the other day and we were stuck in IPT for a philly ground hold. We had about an hour so we unloaded the pax. A couple of them and I went up to the little restaurant up stairs and ordered some sands to go. Then we got the word philly was going to let us in, so the pax ran back to the aircraft (through security) and the restaurant manager said he would bring his sandwich out to him. So the manager handed the sandwich to some operations guy who ran it out to the plane. The TSA Nazi inside saw this and freaked out. We had both engines started when we found out there was a problem the TSA wanted to x-ray the sandwich. Captain was not happy about this, the TSA then asked if the sandwich was in the possession of the passenger or the FA (indicating that if the FA had control of the sandwich we could proceed) we let her know that the passenger was about half done eating the sandwich. So once the TSA lady heard that, we had to shut down and send the half eaten sandwich and passenger back in to get re-screened. This was one of the worst displays of lack of common sense and blatant abuse of authority I have even seen. We submitted complaints to the TSA, im sure she will get a medal though.

Should have taken a stool sample as well.

I wonder what a FA's turd looks like on the xray machine...

I'm surprised they didn't want to put the passenger on the belt and run him through the machine to make sure he hadn't already eaten the file or lighter that must have been hiding in the sandwich.

Yep, that's IPT. Seach every pax, and go overboard with everybody...they try to control everything at that station. It just kills them when the crew is allowed to go through ops to the plane. We once were delayed 30 min out of there while we waited for the police to come and check out some guy who accidently left a pocket knife in his bag. I guess they couldn't just confiscate it like everywhere else.

just went through CMH and MCO twice in 2 weeks, no problems either place. TSA people were actually kinda funny!

TSA then asked if the sandwich was in the possession of the passenger or the FA (indicating that if the FA had control of the sandwich we could proceed)

Sadly, someone in the TSA is writing up a report using similar verbage.

Overall the TSA guys are pretty cool. Show them a little respect and that goes a long way with them. The problem is that there are WAY too many thin skinned pilots who can't give away a few minutes of control without getting their undies all in a wad. Just like Capt Cloyd and FO Hughes down in MIA.

DetoXJ said:
Overall the TSA guys are pretty cool. Show them a little respect and that goes a long way with them. The problem is that there are WAY too many thin skinned pilots who can't give away a few minutes of control without getting their undies all in a wad. Just like Capt Cloyd and FO Hughes down in MIA.

I think the key words in the first post were TSA+retard+IPT. This is entirely true as the IPT screeners were always overzealous about their overwhelming mission of screening 4 commuter fights on a daily basis with only a staff of 5-6 screeners (per shift!). I asked the super there once about why the nazi like treatment, he replied that there were cutbacks looming and the current staff wanted to show that they were taking their job seriously and not bending the rules, i.e. let a pastrami on rye get through.

Flash said:
I think the key words in the first post were TSA+retard+IPT. This is entirely true as the IPT screeners were always overzealous about their overwhelming mission of screening 4 commuter fights on a daily basis with only a staff of 5-6 screeners (per shift!). I asked the super there once about why the nazi like treatment, he replied that there were cutbacks looming and the current staff wanted to show that they were taking their job seriously and not bending the rules, i.e. let a pastrami on rye get through.

So Fukcin what? Let em be overzealous if they want. Just bite your lip and go through with a smile. Is it really any skin off your back? Are the TSA guys coming down to your airplane and busting the chops of some anal Captain? NO! Get over it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back