TSA or PDT?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr Biggelsworth said:
There are better places and worse places than here, but when the name of the game is get the upgrade as fast as you can, get your 1000 turbine PIC and move on, I'm not complaining.
Schpiel Ended.

Do u guys think that one can still move on with "only" a 1000 hr PIc given the competition these days ?( furloughed pilots from majors, experimented RJ captains....)

Are you sure you want to do this...?

If you are, plan on being at the "regional" of your choice for at least 5 years...possibly 10. As savi said, the 1000pic is not an instant door-opener. I know guys at my last airline that passed that mark 4-5 years ago and still haven't been able to move on. And it's not that they are bad pilots with poor people skills and skeletons in their closet. These are solid performers that are very sociable.

All that being said, pick a place that you can live with for that amount of time. Preferrably somewhere you don't have to commute to, and somewhere that doesn't have pure unadulterated spite and hatred between the pilot group and management. Sure, bases change and no labor relationship is without some form of strife, but if the two groups can't stand even being in the same room together (TSA)--run away. Run away quickly.

flydoc said:
If you are, plan on being at the "regional" of your choice for at least 5 years...possibly 10. As savi said, the 1000pic is not an instant door-opener. I know guys at my last airline that passed that mark 4-5 years ago and still haven't been able to move on. And it's not that they are bad pilots with poor people skills and skeletons in their closet. These are solid performers that are very sociable.

How prevelant is this. Are there really a lot of RJ captains with a few thousand turbine PIC that can't get anywhere with it?

Amish RakeFight said:
go where the jets are.

..........especially the really really shiny ones, with a really crappy contract with no pay.....seriously tho, PDT is not that bad of a place to go for a first regional, the planes are old, but the dash is a great airplane, the PDT pay is pretty good, and the contract is decent......really good people there too.....IMO

blzr said:
TSA is growing, PDT is not. Not sure about the TSA employees, but I'm sure you would have a hard time finding a better group to work for at PDT.

TSA is growing? Last I heard, we are losing all the J41s and not getting anything to replace them. That's a whole buttload of flying lost. The only reason we haven't furloughed is that attrition is sky high. According to the DO, the good news is that we will be an all jet fleet soon!!!! Woo Hooo!

TSA pilots are the BEST group of people to work with. If that is important to you or the fact that you may be at ANY regional for 5 or more years you might as well like to fly with the people you work with.

NOT saying that PDT guys are bad to work with but you know what I mean.......

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back