Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA or ASA, who would you rather work for?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with all the opinions stated so far, I think ASA is prob. a better place. But consider for a moment that TSA has about 700 pilots and upgrade is decent at the moment around 1.5 yrs j-41 to 3 yrs jet. ASA has probably double that number of pilots and I would think upgrade would be much slower.(???) Upgrade quicker at a crappy company or FO at a decent company? tuf choice.

210FR8DOG said:
I agree with all the opinions stated so far, I think ASA is prob. a better place. But consider for a moment that TSA has about 700 pilots and upgrade is decent at the moment around 1.5 yrs j-41 to 3 yrs jet. ASA has probably double that number of pilots and I would think upgrade would be much slower.(???) Upgrade quicker at a crappy company or FO at a decent company? tuf choice.

The last J41 upgrade announced at Trans States had a hire date of September '03. Hard to say what will happen with the current STL CA list. Most have far less than 1000 PIC due to crappy J41 schedules. Many were ERJ FOs that jumped to the prop for early PIC time (TSA require 3000 hours TT for J41 captian upgrades, 4000 TT for ERJ). Those guys want nothing more than to get off the J41 when seat lock is up.

If TSA wins the coming arbitration over its alter-ego Ho Jet carrier, there will probably never be new flying on the TSA cert. (Hulas would never pay a nickel more for a pilot than he has to, and if he can find spineless pilots that will jump at a bad deal ...) OTOH if TSA loses an arbitration, combined with current heavy attrition opportunity for "fast" upgrade could be good.

So ... upgrade times change all the time. But good companys stay good for long periods of time. As do bad ones. If you go for what appears to be a fast upgrade today at a company that is hostile to pilots, and things change for the worse ....

Black Water Dog said:
The last J41 upgrade announced at Trans States had a hire date of September '03. QUOTE]

Actually, there are 2 guys in the July J41 upgrade class hired in Jan 04.

You know the image of ASA is plummetting when people are asking if you are better than TSA. Thats no disrespect to the pilots of TSA, but ASA used to be one of the most sought after regionals. Now management has made the pilots bitter, the contract is grossly outdated and our public image has sufferred. Good luck whichever way you go.

As a newbie at ASA I say go for it. Sure there are a lot of complainers on here but when you actually get there you will find most people are more than happy. Just remember people generally (at least Americains) only voice their opinion when they are not happy...

millhouse21 said:
Black Water Dog said:
The last J41 upgrade announced at Trans States had a hire date of September '03. QUOTE]

Actually, there are 2 guys in the July J41 upgrade class hired in Jan 04.

Yep, you're right, my bad. But I would still advise the original poster to pick based on quality of company. Besides, the ASA guys will all be working for SkyWest soon
;-)

BlackPilot628 said:
I would go to ASA.
but feels that they're going to loose the Us Airways contact.

jtf said:
to be an FO for a while you might as well do it at a descent company- TSA blows (the flight crews are great but management is the worst.

"Loose" the contract? A "descent" company?

Jeez

If I had a nickel for the loose/lose thing

Latest resources

Back