• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA - never accused of being mental giants

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't you love it when they bag check you because of something they saw on the x-ray. They grab your bag, you try to be helpful "What are you looking for?!" they reply "I CAN'T TELL YOU!".

These guys are idiots. A good portion of the front line workers are trying their best but are limited because...

1. They lack common sense...

2. They have BS procedures that don't protect anyone from anything...

3. Their supervisors & managers are idiots to...

A friend of mine is a great guy of middle-eastern descent, mid 30-s and really looks it to. It was soon after 9/11 when they were doing "random" screenings. He was getting on a flight to come visit me when they selected the 21 year old mother carrying an infant in front of him and the cane yielding great-grandmother type behind him for a pat-down when he lost it. He went up to the screener and said "Why are you selecting these people when they clearly pose little threat, and let me on the plane without any interference when I LOOK like the 9/11 hijackers, didn't you see their pictures!?"

To apease him, they searched him to at that point. Too funny, he's lucky he wasn't arrested for saying the word "hijacker" in an airport.

Anyway, the logo for the TSA may as well be a Swastika.

Later

Last week I was droping a friend, who is a muni cop, off for a flight. He checked his gun case. When the TSA searched his other bag, they had a major problem with the ammo being in the magazines. He was told that it had to be in a container designed for carrying ammunition. I thought that was the sole reason magazines existed. The TSA supervisor stated their policy was to call the local PD and have them take a statement... Remember my friend is a local cop. So the shift sargent comes down to the terminal to take a statement from this hardend criminal....... What a joke....

Can someone explain to me why a federal government employee who is on TDY gets both Per Diem and COLA? If you are TDY, you arn't having to pay to maintain a household in the local you are workig TDY in.

OtterFO said:
Can someone explain to me why a federal government employee who is on TDY gets both Per Diem and COLA? If you are TDY, you arn't having to pay to maintain a household in the local you are workig TDY in.
Okay, I'll bite. Sorry for contributing to this thread hijack, but here's my thoughts:

I sucked on the COLA tit for 3 years while overseas. Whenever I went TDY (doing catastrophic landscaping in Iraq, etc.) my family was still back home paying the big bucks for their cost of living. Perhaps that's why.

Juvat said:
Okay, I'll bite. Sorry for contributing to this thread hijack, but here's my thoughts:

I sucked on the COLA tit for 3 years while overseas. Whenever I went TDY (doing catastrophic landscaping in Iraq, etc.) my family was still back home paying the big bucks for their cost of living. Perhaps that's why.

Should've lived on base....

I asked this because the TSA people in rural AK are almost all TDY. They collect both per diem and COLA. The government is putting them up in a hotel, with a kitchenette. One guy I met from Vegas even paid off his house with the COLA pay. This didn't make sense to me, because his per diem paid for his meals and incidentals. As Tom Brokaw would say "The Fleecing of America."

Here is a good one.

A Captain for a major airline goes through security. He is wearing a tie tack that is in the shape of a handgun and is about the size of a nickle. Granted, this is not allowed by the company FOM, which allows an ALPA pin or a company provided tie tack, but this fellow is into handguns.
TSA says he can't go into the secure are with a handgun. He says it is only a tie tack made out of pot-metel. TSA takes it away from him. True story...

I fly with many pilots who flew fighters and like to wear a little F-16 or the like as their tie tack. So which is more dangerous? A handgun with 6 rounds for a revolver or up to 15+ for semi-auto, or an F-16 with a drum of 20MM and two sidewinders?

Obviously TSA is lacking in common sense. An F-16 tie tack can carry a heck of a lot more ammo! This clearly shows that the TSA training is lacking if they allow a fighter aircraft tie tack into the secure area!

Latest resources

Back