• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SKLJ

Teacher Arrested After Bookmark Called Concealed Weapon

POSTED: 10:17 am EDT September 17, 2004

TAMPA, Fla. -- A weight may soon be lifted off a Maryland woman charged with carrying a concealed weapon in an airport.

It wasn't a gun or a knife. It was a weighted bookmark.

Kathryn Harrington was flying home from vacation last month when screeners at the Tampa, Fla., airport found her bookmark. It's an 8.5-inch leather strip with small lead weights at each end.

Airport police said it resembled a weighted weapon that could be used to knock people unconscious. So the 52-year-old special education teacher was handcuffed, put into a police car, and charged with carrying a concealed weapon.

She faced a possible criminal trial and a $10,000 fine. But the state declined to prosecute, and the Transportation Security Administration said it probably won't impose a fine.

Harrington said she'll never again carry her bookmark into an airport.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Unbelievable...Well wait, I can believe it. The TSA's (a few of them) that I've come in contact with can't wait to catch someone with anything that resembles a weapon or "illegal" item. They are so proud to drop it in their "gone forever" safe at security and gloating to you on their way to it! One of them took a butter knife away from my F/O that he'd been taking with him for a year and a half when he was in uniform!

But a bookmark from an old lady????

Truly left an anchovie type taste in her mouth didn't it.

I think most of them do a fantastic job considering...But a bookmark, C'mon???

Wow. Thanks it made me laugh!

This is the perfect example of the "un" profiling of America. Let's go pick on the old ladies while we let some 20 to 40-year old men pass through without question (who do fit a threat profile)...simply because we fear offending somebody more than being blown up.

This whole thing offends my sensibilities beyond words. I wonder how many others feel the same way.

I was talking to a check airman this morning on the way home about TSA and he told me they confiscated his money clip because it had an embossed gun on it(gift from his wife who works for Browning).. embossed.. single piece of metal.. only half the gun.. about 1.5" long, no holes.... and to top it off when he complained to the tsa grunt, the grunt walked off with the clip and money to get the supervisor who didn't seem any more enlightened. I don't mind extra screening, but idiocy like that, and breaking the nail file off of the pistol-toting air marshals nail clippers makes you wonder(another true story!)

I know a guy that had a 1 inch long replica of a Colt .45 auto on his keychain, and he was detained at LAX. For a solid metal 1 inch long replica of a gun. This is what is wrong with the system...We have to be so PC that we can't look at a possible threat for fear of "profiling", while we take stupid, incredibly stupid stuff seriously..

atrdriver

All TSA agents are Idiots, They all need to read the book "Proper Screening for Dumies" I find it totally ludicrus to walk through one security line for them to say I have something in my bag that does not look right, and they just want to toss my entire bag, I decide to say NO and leave, go to another line and my bag go's through with no problem, some of these idiots love to watch your bag get tossed, and I also find it embarrasing when they take a senior citizen that can't stand and strip search them and let some young person go with no problems, so they find that a person who can't stand and has to be wheel chaired is more dangerous than a healthy 20 year old, insane, I just look at those TSA idiots and shake my head in disgrace.

Can you imagine what would happen if TSA faced this scenario...

>>>>>>>>>>>>

September 18, 2004
KLM said on Friday it had become a victim of "jumbo jacking" after gunmen robbed a cargo plane at Johannesburg Airport.

Police exchanged fire with the robbers during Thursday's raid, but the gunmen escaped. South African media said they had stolen gold and diamonds.

With a major car jacking problem where drivers are robbed of their possessions, the South African city is not the safest place on earth but the robbery took crime to a new level.

"The group of armed men struck while freight was being unloaded on the ramp," KLM said in a statement.

"The police intervened and shots were exchanged, but neither passengers nor flight and ground personnel sustained any injuries. The gunmen escaped in the ensuing chaos," it said.

KLM, now part of Air France, said in a statement the robbery had targeted its flight KL591, but declined to say what was stolen from the Boeing 747-400 Combi.

The airline said it was reviewing procedures for the shipment of valuables to Johannesburg.

(Reuters)

Latest resources

Back