• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA begins testing pilots-only security lines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I went through crew pass line at BWI this morning. It was the most fun I've had at an airport in a very long time. I have a feeling someone/something will screw this up eventually. But enjoy it now if you can.

True story of Netjets chance to reciprocate

Yeah it was just a joke. I don't see NJA going CASS anytime soon. We don't have any jumpseat agreements out there because we can't reciprocate.

So I'm in DEN, on my way to LGA, getting in around 9pm. Too late to get home to CMH. My choices are, buy a hotel room at the Pan American for $75, or maybe I could try this Exec Jet thing I've been hearing about??? (This was 1999)

I give Exec Jet dispatch a call. Ask if there is anything in the NYC area heading to CMH empty that night? The nice gal looks types for awhile and says, "Why yes, we've got an Ultra (I think) leaving TEB at 2230, would you like to get on that?" OUTSTANDING, I say!

Arrive on time into LGA, go up to the arrivals level, make some cabbies day that just dropped off a fare, and ask him to take me to TEB. I arrive there at 2205. Hop out, pay the cabbie his double fare for leaving NY state, and walk up to the gate. Ring the button, "yes, I'm here to catch a ride on 123QS", they buzz me in, life is good. I arrive at the FBO desk at 1007.

"Who did you say you were going to catch a ride on?", the lady asks.

"123QS", I say.

She glances thru her fuel chits and says............"THEY JUST LEFT".

My mouth about hit the floor. I called the nice gal in dispatch......"THEY DID WHAT!!!???", she asks. "Hang on"......"Sir, I am so sorry!! They knew you were coming and that you were told it was a 2230 departure.

Back to the FBO desk. Lady says, "yeah, they came in here and asked if there was an airline pilot looking for a ride, then they left."

I slept on the FBO couch for 6hrs and took another $75 limo back to LGA the next morning.

Boy, I love commuting!!!! :)

he said 1999.

What year did this event take place???:confused:

As glasspilot pointed out, 1999 I believe. (I was JFK based from 1997-2000)

It was right at the height of Exec Jet's push to get some reciprocal jumpseat agreements.

Unfortunately, it seems the opportunity vanished post 9/11.

One other great story about JFK commuting was the time I slept on the floor outside USAir security....in uniform. Woke up at 5am to some businessman looking down at me as he stood in line to get thru security.

Too funny! :laugh:

I am confused... I thought many NJA pilots loathed airline flying and acutally hinted at snubbing the whole airline pilot career and everything that comes with it.... They travel on regular passenger tickets and thus are regular passengers....

but now they want CASS access thru security at major airports?

There must be several different factions of pilots at NJA!! Its hard to keep up with you guys!!

Why shouldn't any pilot employed by a carrier with a certificate to operate under part 121 or 135 of the CFR title 14 be allowed into the CASS system?

They all undergo the same 10 year background check and are subject to the same PIRA.

Or were you just being sarcastic?

They travel on regular passenger tickets and thus are regular passengers....

Actually that's the problem, we are treated as well as regular passengers, in other words like S***t. Middle seats, checked bag fees, $1 onboard colas, can't get an exit row without an "upgrade" etc, etc. The last 3 airliners I was on were blazing hot, sweated the entire taxi time, because the airline doesn't want to burn fuel using an apu, no matter how uncomfortable it is for the passengers.

Most of us take a minimum of 52 flights a year (not counting mid-tour airlines), so like any frequent traveler we are looking for any break we can get.

We hold an operating certificate, and that is all that is needed to get into the CASS system. I really don't think it's a big deal if we get access to the CASS system or not, all I do at airports now is go into the crew or first class line and show them my id and ticket, they can decide if I can skip to the front of the line or not.

A great portion of our pilot group came from the airlines (major and commuter) so I don't think we have any bias toward the pilots of 121 carriers, we understand that you are doing the best job you can with what you have to work with.

Latest resources

Back