• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA begins testing pilots-only security lines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My concern if the "pilot only" lines appear everyplace and the fractionals don't get into CASS that we will be forced back into the regular people line. I am concerned about:
- the time
- the one quart Zip lock bag
- not being able to carry my beverage of choice through security.

I am sure the passengers will still ask if the 1:30 to Cleveland is on time. Or where the bathroom is.

My concern if the "pilot only" lines appear everyplace and the fractionals don't get into CASS that we will be forced back into the regular people line. I am concerned about:
- the time

I am sure the passengers will still ask if the 1:30 to Cleveland is on time. Or where the bathroom is.

Or ask, "are you our pilot today??" Shaddup!:uzi:

Why shouldn't any pilot employed by a carrier with a certificate to operate under part 121 or 135 of the CFR title 14 be allowed into the CASS system?

Got to pay to play..... is your management willing to pay for it?

They all undergo the same 10 year background check and are subject to the same PIRA.

Not the issue...

Or were you just being sarcastic?

Who? me?

Actually that's the problem, we are treated as well as regular passengers, in other words like S***t. Middle seats, checked bag fees, $1 onboard colas, can't get an exit row without an "upgrade" etc, etc. The last 3 airliners I was on were blazing hot, sweated the entire taxi time, because the airline doesn't want to burn fuel using an apu, no matter how uncomfortable it is for the passengers.

Your fellow Frac'ers are convinced that airlining isn't required for the frac biz model....

Most of us take a minimum of 52 flights a year (not counting mid-tour airlines), so like any frequent traveler we are looking for any break we can get.

Why not try the diamond lane at select airports or go for the Clear Passenger.... then you can cut infront of us bus drivers...

We hold an operating certificate, and that is all that is needed to get into the CASS system.

Don't forget the money!!!

I really don't think it's a big deal if we get access to the CASS system or not, all I do at airports now is go into the crew or first class line and show them my id and ticket, they can decide if I can skip to the front of the line or not.

Fair enough... regardless, when it comes down to it... you are a paying pax limited to the quart bag and the 3oz. If you can get thru as crew with a 1/2 gal. of gel... good on you!

A great portion of our pilot group came from the airlines (major and commuter) so I don't think we have any bias toward the pilots of 121 carriers, we understand that you are doing the best job you can with what you have to work with.

What's the number of that truck driving school? :)

- the time

Yet you already made that choice when you became a frac pilot. Frac pilots are not "crew" they are paying passengers just like the rest...

In addition, not really your concern.... if Santouli and the boyz don't want you hung up at the terminal cause you should be at Signature then he'll politick the Fed.

"I'm not a pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express"

or even better...

Say and look stupid as you tell them you work for the hated airline de jour.....

one of the dumbest posts ever.

Yes we can pay. It is the issue...as weeding out bad guys is the ONLY ISSUE, yes you, airlineing is NOT required but it helps.. don't read into peoples remarks, stupid remark meant to point out you're a "Bus" driver...how great for you, the rest is crap and you know it...

Just stop, don't respond. Really. When it comes to security you know none of the frac pilots are the threat. You know it. So what ever you're gonna say is moot.

We all work together, most of us used to work 121. You haven't come over and that's fine. Don't hate you're brothers. We're all one family....brothers that fly the same airspace down to the same runway. We rely on each other professionalism to secure our own futures.

So just relax and help where you can.

I am confused... I thought many NJA pilots loathed airline flying and acutally hinted at snubbing the whole airline pilot career

We do... We just want the only thing left that even remotely resembles a benefit you have:

A free pass through security and a free ride on the jumpseat. Is that too much to ask?

Bwahaa....

one of the dumbest posts ever.

Yes we can pay. It is the issue...as weeding out bad guys is the ONLY ISSUE, yes you, airlineing is NOT required but it helps.. don't read into peoples remarks, stupid remark meant to point out you're a "Bus" driver...how great for you, the rest is crap and you know it...

Just stop, don't respond. Really. When it comes to security you know none of the frac pilots are the threat. You know it. So what ever you're gonna say is moot.

We all work together, most of us used to work 121. You haven't come over and that's fine. Don't hate you're brothers. We're all one family....brothers that fly the same airspace down to the same runway. We rely on each other professionalism to secure our own futures.

So just relax and help where you can.

Always help out when I can.... despite the minority frac attitude...

And your post misses the whole point.... it is not security...

Its not exclusive of the frac..... its human nature... to want ones cake and eat it too...

In this case.. the frac pilots when going thru airline terminal security want to be treated a known elements: trained professional pilots and whisked thru with zero hassle.. just like the airline pilots. IOW the convenience of it all.....

Then... something happens on the other side of security... the frac pilots now want to be treated as "better than the common passenger".... no longer a employee that wanted quick access, now the freq flier status emerges!

It seems the Clear Lane is what you're looking for...

When I go thru dedicated employee security or cut the line in a normal security and I see a frac pilot doing the same (acting like a pilot and not a passenger).... I think... hey... go for it.... if you can pull it off.. great.... not very many passengers get to do that....

And now you want CASS? Again.. fine.... get your managment/gov't to make it happen.... we did.

The fact is.... you are accessing the airline terminal as paying passengers... not crew.

Rez sure does have it out for frac pilots doesn't he? Hey Rez I'm sorry your app wasn't accepted.

Always help out when I can.... despite the minority frac attitude...

And your post misses the whole point.... it is not security...

Its not exclusive of the frac..... its human nature... to want ones cake and eat it too...

In this case.. the frac pilots when going thru airline terminal security want to be treated a known elements: trained professional pilots and whisked thru with zero hassle.. just like the airline pilots. IOW the convenience of it all.....

Then... something happens on the other side of security... the frac pilots now want to be treated as "better than the common passenger".... no longer a employee that wanted quick access, now the freq flier status emerges!

It seems the Clear Lane is what you're looking for...

When I go thru dedicated employee security or cut the line in a normal security and I see a frac pilot doing the same (acting like a pilot and not a passenger).... I think... hey... go for it.... if you can pull it off.. great.... not very many passengers get to do that....

And now you want CASS? Again.. fine.... get your managment/gov't to make it happen.... we did.

The fact is.... you are accessing the airline terminal as paying passengers... not crew.

Are you B19 in disguise again? Most of us came from 121 backgrounds, and many were former military with very high security clearances. All of us had to go through high level background checks at our present company due to the nature of out clientelle, like embassadors, senators, governors, former and future presidents, etc.

As far as being treated better then the common pax, you bet. Paying over $500 for one way (eg. ICT-ORD-CMH last tour) should get some extra consideration. We pay a great deal for the "benefit" of riding in a cattle car. What's wrong with a little professional courtesy?

Please don't misunderstand me, but is this is an example of career envy? Mainline/121 folks trying to hold on to some semblence of dignity and pride in an otherwise collapsing industry where the bosses and the customers both look down on you?

It wasn't too long ago that pilots used to rib each other and their companies in jest. Now we are all at each others' throats. Are we going to let those that are trying to delegate us to the janatorial level (management and union busting legal firms) further divide us?

Sucks to be you-for now. How long before it sucks to be me? Only difference is I and many others hope for the best for all pilots, not just a few that meet your criteria for "professional".

Last edited:
Hi!

Rez: I understand your perception of the situation:

However, if U think the frac guys shouldn't get the "crew" privaleges, then you must agree the airline pilots shouldn't either when they're not crew.

So, if you're a -121/-135 pilot, and your flying on a purchased ticket, or if you're jumpseating, you are not "working". So, you shouldn't get to go through CrewPass, you should have to go through the PAX lines for security and customs, and you should have the same restrictions as other PAX as far as liquids and taking off your shoes, etc.

I have NO problem with anyone in CASS using Crew Pass. I also have no problem with a crewmember who is on a purchased ticket getting "crew" privaleges.

Valid point... except any given pilot can state that s/he is going to ops area for admin reason...

They key difference here airline pilots work at the terminal. Frac guys do not.

Can an Airline guy walk around signature with his badge and have the same access?

If there is an emergency, cabin situation, etc., I would like to have as many pilots/FAs as possible on board to help deal with the situation.
What does this have to do with crew/CASS access for the frac pilots flying as passengers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest resources

Back