• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Whale Rider

Unity is Our Strength
By Thomas Frank, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — Air travelers may soon be spared the annoyance of airline pilots cutting in front of them at security checkpoints.
The Transportation Security Administration today begins testing a new program that lets pilots go to a separate checkpoint where a screener checks ID cards but does no physical search.

"It will definitely be a benefit to passengers not having to see someone cut in line," said Capt. John Prater, president of the Air Line Pilots Association.

The TSA is starting 60-day tests of the pilots-only checkpoints at Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, Pittsburgh International Airport and Columbia Metropolitan Airport in South Carolina. The program could expand to other airports if the test shows that pilots can get through checkpoints quickly, TSA assistant administrator John Sammon said.

The concept of letting the nation's 75,000 pilots avoid being screened for weapons has drawn criticism from the Association of Flight Attendants, which says it is safer to screen everyone boarding an airplane.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2008-07-16-pilots_N.htm

I'll never understand the AFA! Who let them unionize?

The concept of letting the nation's 75,000 pilots avoid being screened for weapons has drawn criticism from the Association of Flight Attendants, which says it is safer to screen everyone boarding an airplane.

I bet they would feel safer if the FFDO guys were still patted down.

HI!

Or if the FFDOs weren't allowed on the plane with their weapons.

Recently, a number of FFDOs were denied boarding on AA and other airlines' flights, because they were ON THE NO FLY LIST!

Gov't bureaucracy at it's finest!!!

cliff
GRB

Hi!

NJA and other "non-airline" pilots.

If Crew Pass works, it won't matter what TSA in CMH thinks.

Crew Pass currently is operating using CASS. If NJA gets into CASS, they can use Crew Pass.

They look at your airline ID, and look U up in CASS. If there is a match, you are on your way to the gate without further ado.

There are a number of -135-type operators in CASS now.

cliff
GRB

That's assuming that the TSA troll who is guarding the gate has enough sense to actually USE the Crew Pass process.

I think this is a splendid idea, although I can already see it getting muddled within the first 24 hours by some bonehead passenger trying to cut through the crew line.

Hi!

NJA and other "non-airline" pilots.

If Crew Pass works, it won't matter what TSA in CMH thinks.

Crew Pass currently is operating using CASS. If NJA gets into CASS, they can use Crew Pass.

They look at your airline ID, and look U up in CASS. If there is a match, you are on your way to the gate without further ado.

There are a number of -135-type operators in CASS now.

cliff
GRB

Yeah it was just a joke. I don't see NJA going CASS anytime soon. We don't have any jumpseat agreements out there because we can't reciprocate.

Latest resources

Back