• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

tricycle DC-3?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ha! You would tell me that! I'm on the east coast now, but I'll be back in ANC soon... maybe I'll go look around to see if it's still there :)

-TF

Desert Air and that parking area has several DC-3's and a few R4D-8's in various states. Maybe one was leveled up for some kind of mx.

Reeve used to have some kind of thing that looked like a shrunken twin Electra-I think it was japaneese manufacture.

Desert Air and that parking area has several DC-3's and a few R4D-8's in various states. Maybe one was leveled up for some kind of mx.

Reeve used to have some kind of thing that looked like a shrunken twin Electra-I think it was japaneese manufacture.

Probably a YS-11. We called them the Japanese Convair.

~DC

its a CV240,one of the last still turning prop.

The other day I am flying the DC-3 from DAY-YIP, VFR of course at 2,500'. I check in with Toldeo apporach for class C clearnace, he ask what type of airplane? I answer DC-3, he says what is it, single or Multi engine.

What's this world coming to YIP?

E. Gann

What's this world coming to YIP?
I was making a presentation to first year aviation progam students at EMU. I asked how many here have read "Fate is the Hunter" no hands, I asked how many knew who E. Gann was, again no hands. No wonder no one knows what a DC-3 is anymore.

Desert Air

Isn't Desert Air somehow related to Bud Rude of Air Tahoma fame? They had a Desert Air 3 on their ramp for years, may still be there. I thought he said it was his or a friend of his. Anyone know?
-kingaira90

But it could have been an IL-14. There is at least one in the Westen Hemisphere. I saw it at Reno-Stead during the air races some years ago. Parked in the in-field.

It's still there. I flew out of Stead this summer on fires, and I parked next to it. I had to ask what it was.

I was making a presentation to first year aviation progam students at EMU. I asked how many here have read "Fate is the Hunter" no hands, I asked how many knew who E. Gann was, again no hands. No wonder no one knows what a DC-3 is anymore.

People around here love to talk about this book like it's some sort of airplane bible. Fact is, I've never read it, and apart from the fact that I know that Ernie Gann wrote it, I couldn't tell you who he was, either.

Now, I do know what DC-3s are and regularly fly warbirds...flew one in to a Veteran's Day affair just this weekend(they actually used the airplane as a backdrop for an Armed Forces tribute...very cool, made me proud to be able to participate in a small way). Surely there are other ways to be an airplane fan without having read a book.

That having been said, it does seem as if new pilots just don't seem to care as much in comparison with the fancy 'glass' in the newest Diamond on the line at the school. Why is that? I got my start in vintage/military flying by merely showing a genuine interest to an owner a number of years ago. He completely took me under his wing and even let me solo his T-34 with less than 300 hours in my book.

Maybe things haven't changed that much...I'm in a similar position these days and I will talk all day with someone who seems interested and cough up a ride whenever I can if the opportunity arises. I guess what I'm saying is that maybe the few that take the time to understand and learn are just as far between as they've always been. Which is why we've always been excited when someone stands out.

Go to the model section of the local toy store or department store...you'll see cars, space ships, and the like, but very few aircraft. Airplanes and flight has lost it's allure to youth any more, I think.

When I was a cadet and we were alotted a few "orientation" flights as a kid, I'd barter and trade them with those who didn't want them so I could fly as much as possible. Later when I flew cadets, I couldn't believe how little some cared. Why become a cadet in the first place if they didn't want to fly? Birthday parties, football games, parades, dates...all seemed more important than the chance to get some first class instruction and a free hour of flight. I'd have traded off my right arm for that when I was a kid. Then again, I more or less did.

Latest resources

Back