• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

tricycle DC-3?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was making a presentation to first year aviation progam students at EMU. I asked how many here have read "Fate is the Hunter" no hands, I asked how many knew who E. Gann was, again no hands. No wonder no one knows what a DC-3 is anymore.

puddknockers

Go to the model section of the local toy store or department store...you'll see cars, space ships, and the like, but very few aircraft. Airplanes and flight has lost it's allure to youth any more, I think.
I feel the same way.

Folks come out to the airplane and look at it like a bus. Complain about things, such as the size of the aircraft or how they should have left the gate five minutes ago. I am sure, for not one moment, do they actually take time to think about everything it takes to make the aircraft fly. All the engineers and technicians. The years of flight test, accidents, and errors. The millions of dollars spent and the advances in technology.

Whenever I am flying the 727, an Aztec, or even riding in the back of an aircraft, I always look at the wing and think to myself:

I can't believe it does that! How does it do that? How did they figure this out? This is amazing!

Commonplace sucks.

The DC5 was more like a Percival Prentice than a 3,a high wing transport,only 14 were built,WW2,and higher priorities(C47,C54,A20,Dauntless et al production),put paid to its development.

yeah the 5 really doesn't look like a 3....
dc-5
Douglas_R3D-2.jpg

dc-3
dc3a-1.jpg

Latest resources

Back