tricycle DC-3?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LivestockTony

Driving home today, I saw parked over by Fronteir Flying Service's gate area at ANC something that looked for all the world like a DC-3 with a nosewheel. (Two radial engines, similar wing, similar nose, conventional tail). But I know that's not possible... Anyone have an idea of what it was?

I think "Desert Air" was painted on the side, but I was driving and didn't get a great look- it didn't strike me as strange until later...
-TF

The Russian's had a DC-3 looking airplane with a nose wheel. I do not recall the name of it.

Maybe some one thinks a Martin or Convair looks like a DC-3 with a nose wheel? When I was a kid I could tell the difference between a Martin 202 and a 404. The other day I am flying the DC-3 from DAY-YIP, VFR of course at 2,500'. I check in with Toldeo apporach for class C clearnace, he ask what type of airplane? I answer DC-3, he says what is it, single or Multi engine.

I checked in with tower once at a busy GA reliever as "Birddog XXXX" and after some confusion about what he wanted me to do, I realized that he thought I was in a helicopter.

I know... it must have been a Convair. No they don't look similar, my only excuse was that it was a quick glance that didn't strike me as strange until later.

-TF

I know... it must have been a Convair. No they don't look similar, my only excuse was that it was a quick glance that didn't strike me as strange until later.

-TF

But it could have been an IL-14. There is at least one in the Westen Hemisphere. I saw it at Reno-Stead during the air races some years ago. Parked in the in-field.

~DC

Latest resources

Back