• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Travis Barker - 4 killed, 2 hurt as rock star's jet crashes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NJAowner is right. It's sad to see pilots on here saying what a horrible thing it is that these people are bottom of the earth for suing these people's estates. They don't have time to worry about widows; they're too busy healing from the burns these pilot's caused them. This crew tried to abort well past any resonable point, and I'd be pissed off too if they killed my family members or caused burns like these guys got. In all fairness, it appears the burden should fall on the Capt's shoulders, but the F/O was part of the crew too, so the blame gets shared. Let's be honest here........This accident was avoidable! The more Tattoos comment was out of line; he does need more tattoos, as the one's he had were burned off!! Where is the outrage at the pilot's for putting their famalies in this position in the 1st place? Maybe they should have thought about all this while doing a RTO (and becoming test pilots) at 136KIAS.

Well... Lets see. The Aircraft alone probably had between 50 and 100 million (I am guessing 100) million in Liability insurance. The Charter Operator most likely has Insurance.

Do you really think that on top of that a extra 100 grand or so that makes sure the pilots Family is homeless is going to make him feel better, or ease his pain? I completely disagree with you.

Well... Lets see. The Aircraft alone probably had between 50 and 100 million (I am guessing 100) million in Liability insurance. The Charter Operator most likely has Insurance.

I seriously doubt the aircraft had 100M worth of insurance tied to it. Maybe it does, but in the world of 135, a LR60 is not typically going to carry more than 50M and that's hull and liability combined. 100M on this plane would be a client's rider on the contract, and the operator would go get the additional coverage for the particular trip, but just for everyday typical charter's, 100M is dreaming. Any idea what the premium difference between 50 and 100 million is? It's a chunk.

Do you really think that on top of that a extra 100 grand or so that makes sure the pilots Family is homeless is going to make him feel better, or ease his pain? I completely disagree with you.
You're missing the point. Going after the estates (not the families) is a must. Simply a legal tact. The question will be asked why they didn't? Let's get real here, their estates are not going to take any hits. The insurance company for the airplane will settle with these guys, and Goodyear and Bombardier will do what they are going to do, but the airplane's liability is going to take the brunt of this settlement, and that's what it will be, a settlement.

Additionally, it's not about the money; it's about the reckoning. Those pilots killed/gravely injured 4 people who were paying passengers. Their is a reasonalbe expectation that the pilots would provide a safe flight and not be negligent in their duties. They did not provide that safe flight and they were in fact negligent, but the burden does not all fall on their shoulders, the charter operator holds a great deal of that liability as well. They saw to it that the captain was poorly trained, and clearly she was. An abort past V1 on an unfamiliar runway is as dispicable as it is wreckless, in terms of professionalism and realism. Leaves us all with black eyes, and we all have to answer questions about why it happened. Do you tell those people, "Well, the pilots just fukced up?" You can hang on to the crews coattails if you want, but I'm not going to stick up for them or make any excuses for them simply because they are pilots. Doing do would be equally foolish.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Be safe and enjoy the Hawker. It's a nice ride.

I see your points. You obviously have more knowledge of the legal system than I do. I may be skewed in my thinking because when I did charter with RACM, 50 was a minimum, 100 was normal. We carried 100 on the Beechjet. There is one based with us on EJM that carries 200.

On Our Policy, Hull and liability limits are separate values.

We are truly enjoying the Hawker. Thanks for the well wishes.

Latest resources

Back