• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Travel Vaccinations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
be careful with the Ambien and booze though- know a pilot that had a couple beers and took an Ambien- didn't remember all the stupid things he did on that ********************. Almost got himself ********************canned.

actually dislike the stuff totally....makes me hungover. Also most say that more than once in a few days and you get wicked nightmares.

I really just try and sleep when tired, even if thats mid-day. Trying to "adjust" to local time never works, at least for me.

And hate to say it, but avoiding alcohol all together on hard trips is by far the best...its taken many, many years to accept this, but its the truth...:laugh:

And malaria pills? those make me feel like $hit also. I dont use them. I also try not to hang out in the rice patties or the ghettos in India.

yeah, I have a script of Malerone I filled to take as a malaria prophylactic on an upcoming trip. I am still debating with myself if I want to take them. I'll wait til the last possible moment to decide.

yeah, I have a script of Malerone I filled to take as a malaria prophylactic on an upcoming trip. I am still debating with myself if I want to take them. I'll wait til the last possible moment to decide.

If it seemed buggy (like in Mumbai or other assorted $hitholes) I used to just put some bug repellent on my arms and neck.

Those malaria pills felt like they gave me malaria. lol.

The doctor actually told me that the best defense is good mosquito repellent. He said the pills are obviously good to have but reality is don't hang out where mosquitos are prevalent (camping, jungle hiking, etc.) and use good repellant.

I believe that the only country that requires any sort of Vaccination is Brazil for Yellow Fever. Hep A & B and Cholera are recommended. The first time I went to Africa, on the recommendation of a US Army doctor, I got the Cholera series. He told me that it would be better to do it with the pills. Not as bad as the shot are. If that is the case, I don't think I would ever consider the shots. It is a series of three pills. I took my last one on the first day of recurrent at FSI. I was sick as a dog. In fact halfway through my sim session on the 3rd day, I had to stop and barf into a trash can.[/QUOTE

Many countries in Africa require Yellow Fever and proof of such. Malaria is probably the most likely problem you will encounter. 28 Days of Doxycycline 100 mg after leaving the area and 14 days of Primaquine 26.3 mg.

Go to the CDC's website, it will tell you the possible risks of the country you are going to. In Vegas we have a great little place called immuvax. The Doc has spent a lot of time in Africa and specializes in traveler vaccinations. The CDC will aslo recommend the percentage of Deet you will need in your bug spray to be effective.

Been taking the Malerone for last ten days, no issues or side effects. I have seen quite a few skeeters, so glad to have it to take. Glad to move on too. :)

Took the Malerone and had no problems with it. I avoided dairy unless it was hot in my coffee, drank bottled carbonated water, no ice, and didn't eat any unskinned fruits/vegetables.

I still managed to get some food poisoning from a salad
bar. Never should have eaten from the salad bar, damn beets got me. I was sick for 24hrs and it was 2 days before I was 100%.

When in South America just ask for Cafe Americano con leche. I asked for Cafe Latte and received hot chocolate because of my gringo accent. Regular coffee is either instant or this nasty motor oil concentrate that you add hot water to.

Oh ya...salad bar/buffet food is a no-no - even in the USA, lol.

Bacteria heaven.

Latest resources

Back