Transceiver on airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
414Flyer said:
You could clear your own plane for landing! :)

Or for takeoff in Hotlanta.

You:" Delta your cleared for takeoff, everyone else get out of his way..."

I took my 2-meter[1] HT up with me on my way to LA, but I couldn't hear anything inside the jet. I guess either nobody was talking or the fuselage does a good job blocking VHF. Since I couldn't hear anyone, I didn't try transmitting[2]. I was holding it up against the window and nobody asked questions. However, this may have been because before flight, I was being a super-dork asking Airbus autoflight questions[3] of the captain... I guess I inadvertently forewarned them!

[1] Yes, I'm a dork.
[2] Plus, I was too chicken to call CQ and expect a response. This was post-9/11.
[3] You don't want to know why, and I don't want to admit it either.

dseagrav said:
[1] Yes, I'm a dork.
You're not a dork (despite what a lot of people here will have you believe) your just a student pilot who has an interest in aviation. Don't make yourself feel like that.

But if your going to ask them questions, ask really good, absurd questions that will make them think.

For instance, next Airbus you fly on, ask them how much weight those little pull out trays under the cockpit panel can hold! That'll probably have them scratching their heads the whole flight.

P.S. I wouldn't try the whole TX thing. Not worth the hassle it might cause for you. Besides, what is said and heard isn't as interesting as you might think. You'd be much better off reading and studying during that time!

User997 said:
Besides, what is said and heard isn't as interesting as you might think. You'd be much better off reading and studying during that time!

Amen to that. Just altitude changes, vectors, and freq changes. A lot of times a jet will not communicate with a center controller at all except for the check in and the check out.

I've carried my headset bag in a backpack with the plotter, E6B, and AFD/Sectionals for Florida when I go down to visit my buddy who goes to UF, and we rent @ GNV. Never had a problem, and have done this a bunch of times.

Please bring a Time or Newsweek to read on the plane and in the lobby. Nothing screams dork louder than seeing a 172 captain reading his Instrument Oral Exam Guide so that everybody can see him and knows that he/she is a pilot.

Also nix any thoughts of an inflight dual pilot failure followed by you taking command of the bird and "bringing her home".

:)

"DORK" has already been screamed pretty loudly here, DAS. But I think the dual pilot failure with the 172 Cap'n bringin' her on in is a splendid thought to hang on to.:p

dseagrav said:
I took my 2-meter[1] HT up with me on my way to LA, but I couldn't hear anything inside the jet. I guess either nobody was talking or the fuselage does a good job blocking VHF. Since I couldn't hear anyone, I didn't try transmitting[2]. I was holding it up against the window and nobody asked questions. However, this may have been because before flight, I was being a super-dork asking Airbus autoflight questions[3] of the captain... I guess I inadvertently forewarned them!

[1] Yes, I'm a dork.
[2] Plus, I was too chicken to call CQ and expect a response. This was post-9/11.
[3] You don't want to know why, and I don't want to admit it either.
I guess you didn't pay very close attention to the flight attendants during the preflight briefing. Use of any radio is not allowed any time during flight. At least not in the U.S.

To the thread-starter, bottom line, Regionalcap is right. You may not turn it on in flight. It's not an issue of attracting unwanted attention, or looking suspicious, it's just not allowed. Radios (even without a transmitter) can cause interference that conflict with aircraft avionics. Feel free to listen on the ground if you want, just leave the thing off (as the flight attendant will tell you to do if you listen to the briefing).

Bluto is right...although i used mine on a plane and no one said anything...i can see how that could be a problem...the guy next to me kept asking questions about all the gear (was in FL visiting the Grandparents and took my Pap flying) so as we were on our way home and over my home airport i had him look out the window as i used it to turn on the PCL...and no you can't hear anything up their either...

DAS at 10/250 said:
Nothing screams dork louder than seeing a 172 captain reading his Instrument Oral Exam Guide so that everybody can see him and knows that he/she is a pilot.

So studying, being a good student, wanting to be prepared = dork?

I mean...don't go tossing it around, but...if you need to study for your oral, study for your oral.

Also, being serious for a chance, I agree that there's nothing important you'll hear on the frequency. If you want to hear it, just check for the center frequency in your area next time you're in the practice area and listen in...just altitudes, clearances and "hi" and "bye" stuff...

Being a "talker", I wish there was more to do on the radio....but *sigh* nothing....

-mini

Latest resources

Back