• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Transceiver on airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just whip out your Ham radio operator's permit. This is sure to intimidate even the most seasoned flight crew. Failing that, and as a last resort, roll up your Heathkit catalog, and threaten bodily harm to any crewmwmber who attempts to deny you your god given FCC rights.

So studying, being a good student, wanting to be prepared = dork?

No. Most "dork" items can be found in the "Dorky Pilot Series" threads under You've Got to be Kidding forum.

Dork= whipping out your Instrument PTS Guide in the terminal hoping a real pilot or pax will query "So, you're a pilot?" Yep. Now let me tell you something about TPS reports!

Dork= actually believing that Piper knows how to build a good airplane.

Dork= dressing like a Love Boat Captain while making a living in any Cessna smaller than a 500 series

Realize that you are probably sitting around 5 other pilots in the terminal. Some returns after a ferry, some going to a ferry, others going to recurrent. The "pro" pilots are the ones that you can't tell are pilots at all.

You want to impress the FA's? Buckle the seat belts in your row on the way out and not say a word.

:)

This thread's getting a little rough on new pilots and/or aviation enthusiasts. It started as a legitimate question about carry on radios and degenerated into a flame fest about impressing FAs. WUWD?

DAS at 10/250 said:
No. Most "dork" items can be found in the "Dorky Pilot Series" threads under You've Got to be Kidding forum.

Dork= whipping out your Instrument PTS Guide in the terminal hoping a real pilot or pax will query "So, you're a pilot?" Yep. Now let me tell you something about TPS reports!

When I actually have to study, I hide my OEG and Gleims behind my Playboy, that way I don't have to talk aviation with all the dorks :)

You want to impress the FA's? Buckle the seat belts in your row on the way out and not say a word.

:)

Have you flown on the airlines in the last year or two? All the good looking cute ones are furloughed... The ones that are left are old enough to be my mother, save for Iris at United who is old enough to be my Grandma.

mcjohn said:
I traveling from CLT(Charlotte, NC) to ATL to ONT(Ontario, CA) with Delta tonight and was planning on carrying my flight bag with me which includes my headset and the little Sporty's transceiver SP-200. Is this allowed? Can I turn it on and listen or possibly even see if the NAV function works on approach?

mcjohn, the short answer as stated before is - NO.

You may want to know why. Every wire on an aircraft can act as an antenna if it is not shielded (grounded) properly. If you transmit or even turn on ( a cell phone, transceiver, or even FM radio) you can send interference into a wire causing problems with the normal signal in that wire. There has been much research lately with cell phones and the problems they can cause in an aircraft. The short answer is that we have no way of knowing what each cell phone will do, in each seat, in each aircraft ( not all maintained or designed the same) - so you cant transmit by regulation witout PIC approval. In an air carrier, with out that airlines/FAA approval (According to the AC). See below:

I hope this answers your question.

JAFI

----------------------------------
91.21 Portable electronic devices.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:

(1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate; or

(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to—

(1) Portable voice recorders;

(2) Hearing aids;

(3) Heart pacemakers;

(4) Electric shavers; or

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

(c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that operator of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used. In the case of other aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other operator of the aircraft.

----- For air carrier operations see the below Advisory Circular and each air carriers program....

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/72F58116704FC3D986256A71006ED5B0?OpenDocument&Highlight=91.21-1a

TX on Airliner

1) The fuselage should block any incoming radio waves, or at best you should have horrible reception. That is why antennas are on the OUTSIDE of the airplane.
2) If you want to hear air traffic control on your headset, buy a ticket on United and listen to channel 9

Latest resources

Back