• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trans States DO in Hot Water

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just out of curiosity if a policeman beat you in front of other officers would you expect and encourage his union brothers to toe the blue line? I generally find your posts informative and well balanced, above is unconscionable to me though.

The article said they "tried" to take off on one engine. Do you think that is even possible? I'm no more than average intellegence and I can see amber lights flashing at me when I'm on one engine. There is even a high probability that I would see the "big" yellow light starting at me on the before takeoff checklist.

To that extent I will say that there is virtually NO possible way to even attempt a takeoff on one engine. Therefore, for your "brothers" in the cabin to stab you in the back is "not cool" in Gups book.

I got a couple PM's explaining how big a ****************************** bag the guy is so I "get it" but still feel uncomfortable selling a brother out.

Would I lie for you? Nope.
Would I volunteer to shorten your career? Hell NO.

Gup

The article said they "tried" to take off on one engine. Do you think that is even possible? I'm no more than average intellegence and I can see amber lights flashing at me when I'm on one engine. There is even a high probability that I would see the "big" yellow light starting at me on the before takeoff checklist.

To that extent I will say that there is virtually NO possible way to even attempt a takeoff on one engine. Therefore, for your "brothers" in the cabin to stab you in the back is "not cool" in Gups book.

I got a couple PM's explaining how big a ****************************** bag the guy is so I "get it" but still feel uncomfortable selling a brother out.

Would I lie for you? Nope.
Would I volunteer to shorten your career? Hell NO.

Gup

I disagree on the selling a brother out. If someone is that bad of an apple and prick, they deserve to be put through the ringer. 95% of airline pilots fall into the spectrum of nice to fly with, nice to be with, not too cool for school, but not too prickish. The other 5% deserve what's coming to them. The oddball thing is, I do agree that taking the runway with one engine running is fairly low on the safety hazard spectrum. On the other hand, the whole intimidation and low ball degrading work conditions by TSA management is a huge blip on the safety screen and this DO sounds like a big contributor to that.

The fact that they attempted a single engine t/o is no big deal. THAT can happen to anyone. The EMB-145 WILL let you do this with no warnings. You will only catch it by a scan of the instruments.. Where the problem lies is that this POS DO treated every single pilot at tsa as if they buried their manhood is his mom and then into him. He would fire people for no reason, he would physically rip pilots' badges off of their neck and then kick them out of his office. He furoughed pilots then recalled them only to furlough them again after their arrived into stl. If you sneezed the wrong way he would terminate you without blinking...but...he screwed up and then LIED about it.

To top it off, he lied in the aircraft logbook. Doesn't an atp require a pilot to be of good moral character? HE F"N lied about it. I hope he is terminated, loses his license and cries like a little beeeeoootch behind the trash dumpster.

The fact that they attempted a single engine t/o is no big deal. THAT can happen to anyone. The EMB-145 WILL let you do this with no warnings. You will only catch it by a scan of the instruments.. Where the problem lies is that this POS DO treated every single pilot at tsa as if they buried their manhood is his mom and then into him. .

Surely you also see a PROBLEM with the incompetence of the crew. Nice guys kill people too and need to be dealt with.

Crews that taxi onto an active with only one engine are conducting themselves in a manner which is open to all sorts of errors, ranging from the wrong flaps to not having enough gas. Many of these errors do not have ding-ding-dings as a backup and many will kill people.

We are all capable of making such errors, which is why we must all conduct ourselves in such a way which prevents and captures the mistake. That means sterile cockpit, proper checklist usage, etc etc.

That doesn't mean automatic termination. But even if this crew were nice guys, and did the right thing and wrote it up properly, their actions would require attention, investigation, and correction; whether the correction would be to company procedures or the individuals.

Last edited:
That's awesome. I have real respect for fellow pilots who are willing to sell out their brothers. I'm sure the guys up front appreciate that.

What happened to "I was sleeping and didn't see anything?"

Gup

Lets just cover up that hole in the fence at the end of 31C and pretend nothing happened.Shhh...

Buscap,

You are correct as far as the crew being incompetent. Not always, but usually the crew(s) that screw up are the ones that disregard the checklist/sop/fom/gom or parts of them.

Needless to say, that D.O. also stated that he never lied on OUT/IN times, never violated sterile cockpit rule, but had no morals to intimidate the TSA pilots with the death penalty memo. He had fired every single union-member in the negotiating committee if my memory serves me right. And got away with it.

As a former waterskier am I surprised that he finally fell over his own hypocrisy? No. And I don't even feel sorry for him and the other check airman. They get what they deserve. Justice finally seemed to prevail until ...

The latest GOM revision. It states that the D.O. no longer needs to hold a pilot's license and/or medical. Seems to me someone at the STL FSDO made some cash over the weekend. This sounds like some corrupt third-world country. Oh wait, we're talking STL ...

Just out of curiosity if a policeman beat you in front of other officers would you expect and encourage his union brothers to toe the blue line? I generally find your posts informative and well balanced, above is unconscionable to me though.

My thoughts exactly. It wasn't the fact that a mistake was made but if indeed someone lied about the error, the lie is far worse than the transgression itself.

Lying to an official inquiry is a sure fire way to get the axe. Then, how does one explain that to his/her next employer: "Yeah, I was a damn good <insert profession here> but I screwed up once and had to lie about it." People screw up. Take a few days off or a re-check and carry on. But to lie about it? That is what gets people fried.

With respect to LEOs who lie, look up "brady cops." Sure they may still have a job (rarely but it happens), but their credibility in court is gone. Law Enforcement, Pilots, Surgeons, Hairstylists, and a host of other professions have the ability to do some real harm if their heads aren't in the game. Learn from the mistakes, let the insurance companies handle the rest if need be, and move on.

"The incident initially attracted FAA interest in what officials thought was another example of pilot distraction. In the past six months, at least one other crew flying for a different commuter carrier forgot to turn on both engines before starting to rev up for takeoff."

I LOL'd.

Latest resources

Back