• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trans States DO in Hot Water

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704032704575268720519844844.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
FAA Probes Whether Pilot Sought to Cover Up Mistake
By ANDY PASZTOR

Regulators are investigating whether the head of flight operations at Trans States Airlines forgot to turn on one engine of a commuter jet while preparing for take off, then allegedly tried to cover up the mistake, according to government and industry officials.

The probe prompted the Federal Aviation Administration to temporarily bar Michael White, the airline's former chief pilot and currently its director of flight operations, from flying passengers. He has since been reinstated after passing a proficiency test, but the incident has prompted high-level concern inside the FAA, these officials said.

The agency is continuing to look at whether Mr. White tried to hide a mistake, and whether other airline managers tried to mislead regulators after the incident, according to these officials.

Mr. White has said that the engine shut down on its own, and the airline supports his position, according to people familiar with the details. Mr. White declined to comment for this article.

Spokesmen for the FAA and the airline, which operates flights for United Airlines and US Airways, confirmed the investigation into the incident but wouldn't elaborate.

"We have been fully cooperative with the FAA," the airline spokesman said.

The incident initially attracted FAA interest in what officials thought was another example of pilot distraction. In the past six months, at least one other crew flying for a different commuter carrier forgot to turn on both engines before starting to rev up for takeoff. Afterward, that airline revised its pre-flight checklist.

But the Trans States investigation has taken an unusual turn. The FAA has opened an enforcement case and is investigating allegations by other pilots that Mr. White tried to cover up his mistake. Some Trans States pilots also have told investigators that they felt airline management tried to pressure them or intimidate them to back up Mr. White's version of events, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Labor-management tensions at the airline are already high, with the pilots' union locked in stalled contract negotiations with the airline.

"We don't believe that any member of management has tried to dissuade pilots from telling anything" to the FAA, said the spokesman for the airline, a unit of Trans States Holdings Inc. of Bridgeton, Mo. He added that the FAA has "never told us there was any kind of investigation involving intimidation or coercion" of pilots.

FAA officials said allegations of a cover-up, if true, are disturbing because the regulator expects pilots and airline managers to promptly and honestly report safety lapses—even if they are serious—so other crews and carriers can benefit from lessons learned. If Mr. White or other members of management are found to have attempted to cover up a mistake, the airline could face financial penalties.

In March, Mr. White and another senior Trans States pilot were at the controls of a two-engine Embraer jet getting ready to take off from Washington Dulles International Airport near Washington, D.C. As the aircraft started to rev up, cockpit warnings that only one of the two engines was running prompted the pilots to pull off the runway and taxi back to the gate.

Mr. White wrote in the logbook—and told mechanics and fellow pilots at the time—that the engine had shut down on its own, according to people familiar with the details.

Two other Trans States pilots who were passengers on the plane concluded from sounds they heard that only one engine had been started up, they later told investigators, according to people familiar with the investigation. The plane's maintenance records also showed that one engine had never been started up, according to these people.

Shortly after the incident, a senior management pilot told one of the pilots in the back of the plane that maintenance data backed up Mr. White's version of events, according to a person familiar with the investigation. The pilot told investigators he interpreted that as indirect pressure to support Mr. White's statements, this person said.

The airline asked all four pilots who were passengers on the plane for copies of written statements they had submitted to the agency, according to people familiar with the investigation. Two of the pilots told investigators they felt that was another subtle form of intimidation, these people said.

The company removed the two men from flying duties before the FAA took the same action, according to people familiar with the case, and gave them additional training. The FAA required them to pass a proficiency test, which they did. Both pilots have returned to flying status. The other aviator is a senior pilot who checks the proficiency of other Trans States pilots during recurrent training sessions.

Trans States flies more than three million passengers annually, using 27 regional jets to serve 46 cities. Trans States Holdings also controls GoJet Airlines LLC, which flies 25 Bombardier regional jets for United Express, operating out of hubs at Chicago, Denver and Dulles.

Write to Andy Pasztor at [email protected]

See here I sort of feel bad for the guy because how many people have done this, and nothing came of it? Hundreds at the least I would guess.

Forgetting to start an engine is not the problem, it happens, and the situation tends to fix itself since engines take too long to start for for even the dumbest pilot to attempt to do it on the take-off roll. The problem is the head of flight operations at an airline doesn't have the judgment to admit to a minor mistake. If I'm an FAA investigator, I'm wondering how his poor judgment affects other parts of the operation.

I don't think that emergency removal from his position of DO is out of the question given the extraordinarily poor judgment displayed if he did, in fact, try to cover the incident up. The problem is, it sounds like there is a bit of a conspiracy to cover up the incident. If that's the case an emergency removal of all involved from their positions would likely ground the airline. Ug...

"We don't believe that any member of management has tried to dissuade pilots from telling anything" to the FAA, said the spokesman for the airline

NOO??? REALLY??? You don't believe so????? Shocking.......

Two other Trans States pilots who were passengers on the plane concluded from sounds they heard that only one engine had been started up, they later told investigators, according to people familiar with the investigation.

That's awesome. I have real respect for fellow pilots who are willing to sell out their brothers. I'm sure the guys up front appreciate that.

What happened to "I was sleeping and didn't see anything?"

Gup

That's awesome. I have real respect for fellow pilots who are willing to sell out their brothers. I'm sure the guys up front appreciate that.

Gup

Entirely depends on who is up there. Ever fly with anyone who had no business on a flight deck?

I think you have it wrong.

Gup

I don't think anyone would consider MW a fellow brother or pilot. You do not know of what you speak. Reread the article, he is not a line pilot but the DO and a member of the TS holdings management.

Gup

I would normally agree with you, but this was a very much disliked management pilot.

Latest resources

Back