• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trans States DO in Hot Water

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilots fly so impaired from fatigue that someone attempting a takeoff without an engine running is bound to happen at some point.

How many times has a first officer started running or a captain called for a before takeoff check only to realize that just one engine is running.

Impairment from fatigue should be just as much a focus as steril cockpit.

That's awesome. I have real respect for fellow pilots who are willing to sell out their brothers. I'm sure the guys up front appreciate that.

What happened to "I was sleeping and didn't see anything?"

Gup

I appreciate the buddy system to a degree, but it has got to have limits. I have never written another pilot up, but when the feds come asking, and that guy is obviously lying to cover up his mistake, you are under no buddy-buddy obligation to participate in the conspiracy.

I hope you feel the same, after your next routine surgery, when the doc slips up, leaving you paralyzed.

We wouldn't want the other surgeon ratting him out, now would we?

Pilots fly so impaired from fatigue that someone attempting a takeoff without an engine running is bound to happen at some point.

How many times has a first officer started running or a captain called for a before takeoff check only to realize that just one engine is running.

Impairment from fatigue should be just as much a focus as steril cockpit.

I guess the fastest way to address the fatigue issue would to require that a pilot be in base 24 hours before duty................

I guess the fastest way to address the fatigue issue would to require that a pilot be in base 24 hours before duty................

in a padded room, within a building where everyone wears a muzzle and therefore can't make enough noise to disturb anyone's rest.

:-D

That's awesome. I have real respect for fellow pilots who are willing to sell out their brothers. I'm sure the guys up front appreciate that.

Gup

Just out of curiosity if a policeman beat you in front of other officers would you expect and encourage his union brothers to toe the blue line? I generally find your posts informative and well balanced, above is unconscionable to me though.

Gup

We all make mistakes, but some people make mistakes at a rate significantly higher than the norm. As professionals, we have an ethical imperative to cull the "meatballs" from our flight decks.

To that end, I don't advocate on snitching on guys who make an honest mistake. However, when there's a pattern of incompetence and disregard its better to send them to pasture than let them smear plane load of passengers a quarter-inch thick and a half mile long.

I'm curious as to how many of the posters here with the "supportive statements" for the pilots involved have actually read the article before opening up their trap-hole with their fingers.

As far as the "I was sleeping and didn't hear anything statement, when Safety of Flight is involved, that goes out the window. Your wife or kids could have been on that flight.

Latest resources

Back