• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trans State

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just from an FA's perspective, TSA is going through contract negotiations right now and that brings all gripes to the forefront of everyone's minds. It's not the best regional, it's definitely not the worst. With the sister company bs going on right now, things are a little more heated than usual. Go where you want to go, as far as people go, I've been here a long time for an FA and find it hard to leave because I like so many of the people I work with. As a general group online, it's an awesome place to work. If only management would follow suit. Don't listen to the hype, some people, with reason, are bitter. Wherever you go, there's going to be good and bad things about every company.

TSA might not be greatest company. Be that as it may... they'll hire you when other regionals won't (I was recently hired with 1000TT and 29ME), and lets face it: It sure beats flying right seat on a 172 (even if it is less pay than CFI'ing). And once you get in with one 121 carrier, it does seem to open a great many doors. Gotta start somewhere, right?

When I rolled into that hole, I was sending out resumes left and right. It was all I could find at the time, so it had to barely do until I could reposition myself from that terrible operation. 7 of us lived in a house in St.Ann.....out of that, 5 never flew for a commuter and asked me why I was desperate to get out of there even though I was just starting. I said the same to them....ask me that same exact question in about 2 months from now and lets see if you can answer your own question. 2 months went by, and they hated it there.....as I thought that they would. 850 smackers take home a month...no contract, flyin a piece of $hit Brasilia. I liked most of the guys there, but the company itself was one violation waiting to happen. Just happy I didnt get a letter in the mail after having worked at that dump. If you absolutely HAVE no where else to go, might as well get a little time there but work on getting out ASAP.

When I rolled into that hole, I was sending out resumes left and right. It was all I could find at the time, so it had to barely do until I could reposition myself from that terrible operation. 7 of us lived in a house in St.Ann.....out of that, 5 never flew for a commuter and asked me why I was desperate to get out of there even though I was just starting. I said the same to them....ask me that same exact question in about 2 months from now and lets see if you can answer your own question. 2 months went by, and they hated it there.....as I thought that they would. 850 smackers take home a month...no contract, flyin a piece of $hit Brasilia. I liked most of the guys there, but the company itself was one violation waiting to happen. Just happy I didnt get a letter in the mail after having worked at that dump. If you absolutely HAVE no where else to go, might as well get a little time there but work on getting out ASAP.

Thats kinda the plan. I don't aim to stay there forever. The thing is, in the last year CFI'ing I haven't gotten any multi... so I figured this might be the only opportunity I'll get for a while (nobody else is calling me). Either that, or flight instruct forever. And who in their right mind would want to do that? Seriously though... its easy to say "wait for a better carrier", but if your in my shoes (not able to get any multi, i.e. no ME students, and can't afford to buy it), it may be a very long wait. It can't be worse than doing steep turns and slow flight all day.

Thats kinda the plan. I don't aim to stay there forever. The thing is, in the last year CFI'ing I haven't gotten any multi... so I figured this might be the only opportunity I'll get for a while (nobody else is calling me). Either that, or flight instruct forever. And who in their right mind would want to do that? Seriously though... its easy to say "wait for a better carrier", but if your in my shoes (not able to get any multi, i.e. no ME students, and can't afford to buy it), it may be a very long wait. It can't be worse than doing steep turns and slow flight all day.

Yah, get just enough time to get the hell outta there and move on. If yah can, make em get yah a type of some sort and then move on....that would be better yet. Soory, dude, but TSA was probably theeee worst place I ever worked at, besides waiting tables.....actually, waiting tables was better than TSA.

...BG still there? If you are, I havent forgotten about how unprofessional anyone could be in the sim as an instructor. Shame on you...

Speaking of training, is it true the training in general is pretty lousy?

Training at TSA was actually pretty good. Since leaving and having to redo the program at another airline, i would say I knew more than they were covering... (more thorough training at TSA). Not to say that it was all necessary, but its definitly not a slouch program. Instructors were good and knowledge was good. The rest of the company and management is where the trouble lies....

Don't stay longer than six months, bad places eat your soul and take the joy out of life. Life is short be happy, get the hell out.

There are still better palces to go then TSA. Forget the whole SJS and try and get in anywhere irrespective of it being jet or turboprop. Heck I would even go to Colgan before going to TSA. At least the upgrade would be quick.

It's not the equipment its the QOL and Upgrade to PIC.

I will admit, the training at TSA was good. Instructors were helpful and more importantly, the Captain upgrades in the class always helped out the newbies..
Here's the problem. The classes going through now do not have Captain upgrades in them. Being short of FO's, they don't seem/can't allow FO's to upgrade thereby further depleting the FO ranks. At the same time, we are also bleeding Captains... the fun continues online.

Therefor, a newbie going through training had better be up to the challenge of training... Alot of material with little time.
Studying and learn your Memory Items and limitations. Flows are important too... if you don't have them down pretty good going into the sim, it also makes it that more difficult. Not to mention, 2 FO's in the sim together...

That being said, there are mentors within the union that will be willing to help also. Good luck...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back