Training Contracts!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skeptic

Has anyone ever heard of training contracts actually being enforced (ie. if you leave before the contract is up) or is this just another scare tactic? Any thoughts??

I had friend, Colgan, left after 5 months. Got a letter 8 months latter saying they will go to court to get the money. He moved and a year later no word. They don't know the new address either.........not losing sleep over it.

I told my previous company to shove it because they were making my life miserable. They called me twice an sent me a certified letter demanding $4500. I ignored them and never heard from them again. It's been almost three years now.

It cost a LOT of dough to drag you to court. Filing fees, attorney's fees, court costs and in the end they would probably lose. If you are in another state an entire new set of rules may apply and even more expenses. That's why most companies don't bother. I paid a contact attorney $75 to look at my contract and he told me it would hold up as well as toilet paper in a hurricane.

IHF

Regions Air took some pilot's to court and won. If you do break a contract, make sure you are breaking it to go somewhere that you plan on staying at.

man up

Be a man you signed a contract, and by know you know that regionals suck. If you can't be held to your word or even a contract you have no business calling yourself a man. i swear everyone here is looking for the easy way out. In truth you will never succeed unless you are willing to commit to hard work, and honor all commitments. If something you agreed to do sucks go cry to mommy.

Be a man you signed a contract, and by know you know that regionals suck. If you can't be held to your word or even a contract you have no business calling yourself a man. i swear everyone here is looking for the easy way out. In truth you will never succeed unless you are willing to commit to hard work, and honor all commitments. If something you agreed to do sucks go cry to mommy.

Gee, I thought a man was a man because of the "equipment" he was born with.

By your reasoning, what kind of men are the airline managers that sign a labor contract with a labor group, then turn around, blatantly violate the agreement, and order the pilot to fly the trip saying "fly now, grieve later"? They do seem to be pretty successful, wouldn't you say? Shall they go whine to their mommies?

It would seem to me that any company which must resort to this pitiful form of indenture [training contract] clearly is a terrible company to work for and has such a problem with employee turnover that they are forced to intimidate employees into sticking around with threats of legal action, and b.s. about how "it costs so much money to train pilots". Notice that any decent company in this industry or any other doesn't resort to such absurd measures.

The only question you need to ask yourself when making airline career decisions is "which option is best for me and my family."

This is the only question any management track employees ever ask themselves. Managers will not ever hesitate to sacrifice an employee if it will lead to bigger bonuses and other payouts for themselves.

All you need to do is write a short letter: "Please accept this letter as notice of my resignation, effective .......". Do not go out of your way to stick it to them or be insulting. That would be a pointless risk.

Gee, I thought a man was a man because of the "equipment" he was born with.

By your reasoning, what kind of men are the airline managers that sign a labor contract with a labor group, then turn around, blatantly violate the agreement, and order the pilot to fly the trip saying "fly now, grieve later"? They do seem to be pretty successful, wouldn't you say? Shall they go whine to their mommies?

So by your reasoning, pilots who break a training contract are cut from the same mold as airline managers.

I'm with the other guy on this one. If you sign a training contract, be prepared to pay up if you leave early. If you're apprehensive about signing one, then don't do it.

yes they hold up, i had to pay. If you leave its more of a matter if they come after you. screw these people telling you your not a man of your word. You do what ever it takes to keep food on the table. You don't have to be happy with the industry, but you should be at least at company your happy with. If your not happy with either, what the hell are you doing then. Move on to something better.

Latest resources

Back