• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Training Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you sign the contract, end your signature with s.u.d. (signed under duress), essentially saying that you didn't want to sign it but were left no other option. That will tell a judge that you entered the agreement forcibily. Might hold up, might not. Either way it will cost you to breach it.

Also, if you are head of household for tax filing purposes, your wages cannot be garnished.

Just as general advice you should have any training contract reviewed by a lawyer prior to signing it. I realize it is a couple $100 but it is money well spent. If you decide to a break a contract you should speak to a lawyer prior to breaking it, not after.

If you sign the contract, end your signature with s.u.d. (signed under duress), essentially saying that you didn't want to sign it but were left no other option. That will tell a judge that you entered the agreement forcibily. Might hold up, might not. Either way it will cost you to breach it.

Also, if you are head of household for tax filing purposes, your wages cannot be garnished.

Good to know, I will keep that in mind and use it next time I sign something I don't really want to sign.

As for wage garnishment, that is not true in IL. I helped with the payroll awhile back and every now and then we would get notices from the state to start garnishing X employee's wages (divorced, living on his own, definetly head of household). Usually was a child support issue. As soon as we started doing this we knew it would not be long before these employees would quit. It really doesn't matter, if they get a judgement against you, you will always have to worry about them coming after assets until they are paid.

Forced to violate regs?

Are you putting me on?

Please give some specific examples, because what it sounds like is you are trying to justify your inability to keep your word by complaining about how they didn't keep theirs, all the while searching for some loophole to discharge you from your responsibilities. (That you were more than happy to accept to get the job!)

My suggestion is to join adulthood and pay up. are you asserting that you somehow grew a backbone and quit after five whole months of willingly disregarding procedural and regulatory guidance?

I'm sorry you're out the money. I certainly wish we worked in an industry where such documents were not required, but you gave your word, you went to training and you took the job.

Here's a suggestion: Sit down with your ex-employer, outline their broken promises, discuss why you left because of that, and make them an offer. Maybe give them a check for 10K if they are willing to sign a letter of recommendation for you first. Tell them their other option is to take you to court. This way you fulfill your obligation, and you have a good reference. This is at the heart of your problem. While it's possible to succeed in aviation without it, the goodwill of your former employers make a huge difference when you're representing yourself to a potential employer. Being able to walk in to the interview with letters from each of your former employers is a big deal.

Anyways, that's my worthless opinion.

Does your word mean anything to you? (That's not rhetorical, does it?)

Money & Ex-employers

Forced to violate regs?

Are you putting me on?

Please give some specific examples, because what it sounds like is you are trying to justify your inability to keep your word by complaining about how they didn't keep theirs, all the while searching for some loophole to discharge you from your responsibilities. (That you were more than happy to accept to get the job!)

My suggestion is to join adulthood and pay up. are you asserting that you somehow grew a backbone and quit after five whole months of willingly disregarding procedural and regulatory guidance?

I'm sorry you're out the money. I certainly wish we worked in an industry where such documents were not required, but you gave your word, you went to training and you took the job.

Here's a suggestion: Sit down with your ex-employer, outline their broken promises, discuss why you left because of that, and make them an offer. Maybe give them a check for 10K if they are willing to sign a letter of recommendation for you first. Tell them their other option is to take you to court. This way you fulfill your obligation, and you have a good reference. This is at the heart of your problem. While it's possible to succeed in aviation without it, the goodwill of your former employers make a huge difference when you're representing yourself to a potential employer. Being able to walk in to the interview with letters from each of your former employers is a big deal.

Anyways, that's my worthless opinion.

Does your word mean anything to you? (That's not rhetorical, does it?)

One would not EVER want to offer money to an ex-employer!!!!!

One would not EVER want to offer money to an ex-employer!!!!!

Even when one gave one's word?

Is your word and reputation worth more than the cost of a training contract? Mine is.

I believe you hwt. I have been TOLD to fly, not asked to fly with alot of sh##t broke. And wake up LJDRVR no company in the interview will tell you the truth about the company. There MANAGEMENT and they got there by kissing ass. No company I have every seen cares about your ticket. I say screw the company if they didnt hold there end up. Then don't hold your end. and someone smells like management. somewhere I smell the stench.

I believe you hwt. I have been TOLD to fly, not asked to fly with alot of sh##t broke.

Wow, so you're not even the PIC on your airplane, the company is? You need to grow a pair and start doing the right thing. 4000 hours of flying time is a little bit late in your career to be foolishly breaking rules at your employer's behest.

And wake up LJDRVR no company in the interview will tell you the truth about the company.

So, what's that got to do with anything? Are you saying your word doesn't mean anything if you've been lied to? Are you asserting it's alright to practice integrity on a sliding scale based solely on what's convenient and "fair" to you at the given moment? That's what it sounds like to me.

Here's a thought: Dishonest folks like you are one of the reasons training contracts exist. Child-pilots willing to violate procedural and regulatory guidance simply because they were "told to" is one reason why we continue to have so many bottom feeder companies.

Here's two questions for you guys:

• Is it O.K. to make a written promise in order to obtain employment, then renege on your word?
  • Who is the PIC on your airplane, CAP-E-TON?
The only stench I smell here is flimsy rationalization of dishonesty, mixed with the pungent aroma of poor airmanship.

Flame away, bring on the poor spelling and grammar, you guys know I'm right.

ya my word means sh*t if your going to abuse me when you said that it wasnt going to happen. second being a young aviator who wants to keep his first job or first turbine job will do anything to keep it, even if it means no back talk and flying piece of crap airplanes with everything broke to keep the company happy with you. Ive put my foot down before just to see a sh*tty pilot get a type over me because he knows how to kiss ass and take the flight. Guess you've never flown freight or for a crappy management company( which is the only way to get your first hours of turbine). Getting 500 hours in the military and going to sling gear right seat in a rj would teach you nothing about what I'm talking about.

This is a waste of bandwidth debating the issue with somebody possessing your poor communication skills and lack of ability to see who your audience is, but what the heck...I'm bored. And I'll now remove all nasty snide comments and tone in an effort to get a real dialogue going here.

I have worked my way up through this industry and was never handed anything on a silver platter. It took me over eleven years to go from 300 hour CFI to major airline new hire. During that time I worked as an Instructor, Freight Dog, Charter Pilot, Director of Safety and Regional Pilot. (Both seats) Before you accuse me of not having walked a mile in your shoes, please take a closer look at my profile. (Enlisted dudes don't fly.)

You contend that crappy outfits somehow "force" pilots to operate in an unsafe manner out of fear for their jobs. I believe what really happens is lazy, undisciplined aviators take the easy way out when faced with a difficult decision. Most of us have been there and done that, myself included. But most of us learned early on to draw a line in the sand, even if it means walking away from a job.

What truly bothers me about your post is the assertion that you were somehow forced against your will to do something unsafe. YOU are the Pilot In Command. YOU are responsible for not taking any unnecessary risks. YOU are the one responsible for the lives of your passengers and/or the innocent people on the ground under your flight path.

You then use this victim mentality to justify your poor airmanship and your lack of ability to honor an agreement you made. (A promise, in other words.)

"I'll get fired if I don't fly this broken (Illegal) airplane!"

How do you know? If you don't take a stand and attempt to do the right thing, you're just assuming and rationalizing. I worked for a 135 operation that played fast and loose with the rules. Although my anal retentive safety first attitude sometimes angered the dispatcher, management and owner, that same reputation kept me from having to say no, because they already knew the answer and stopped asking me. In the end, I walked away with the respect of the people I worked for, one of whom's recommendation recently won favorable comments during an interview. We all did stupid stuff when we were young and had our first jobs. (My Mother-in-Law drove my Wife and Son home from the hospital because I didn't have the balls to tell my employer no.) What I'm saying is that with four thousand hours, you should no longer be making excuses. You should know better is all I'm saying.

As to your belief that your word doesn't mean anything when you've lied to first? Sad. All I can say is I hope most people in society don't feel the same way you do. My kids will certainly be taught otherwise.

The original poster signed a contract. He gave his word. A man would pay up.

Latest resources

Back