Training Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reciprocal Contracts

OK, I am sure this has been discussed many times and yes I did do a search and found some good info. But....

Does anyone have any ideas for a defense or how to get out of not paying for a training contract after leaving early.

My previous employer (yes I was employed and now quite), is suing me for $21K. I only stayed for 5 months not 12 months. I planned on staying but I was lied to about days off, pay, working conditions, forced to violate regs, changed perdiem, and changed call out times. So I found another job. My attorney says that the conditions of employement doesn't matter seeing how it was not included in the contract. Any loopholes? Any ideas? Can they really collect? How bad will it hurt my credit? and can they ever force me to pay the debt.

Thanks.

Tell the prospective employer that you will sign their contract only under certain conditions.These conditions need to be spelled-out in writing,such as
1.if you die your next of kin is not liable.
2.if the aircraft(s) are sold, that you are free to leave.
3.that you will be paid what you are promised to be paid.
4.that you will be treated professionally.
5.that at no time will the pilot be ordered to violate FAR's,not even implied threats can be used.

Put these conditions in a contract form,offer it to the employer when they offer you their PFT contract.If they refuse to sign your contract,then do not sign theirs.Consider the reaction you get.It will tell you all you need to KNOW!!!!!

BTW...in any case where you "give your word" and the employer does not hold up thier end of the deal, "your word" is no longer in question.

Be careful when signing an agreement that you know what the costs are, they may not be specific, and if so they could hit you up for travel, lodging, expenses, as well as training costs from Simuflite/FSI. They may even charge you for replacing you with a contract pilot. Quitting before the training agtreement expires is just executing the options spelled out in the contract, which is to say you'll be paying them back. Always assume the worst possible scenario when taking a job, and think about how you'll deal with it. Be able to pay or don't sign. A lot of the contracts I've seen lately don't even give you an out if you get fired for cause.

HWT - What state are you in? If Calif I've heard training contracts aren't legal, kind of the same reason that Calif residents can't be asked to pay an application fee or be asked to pay for their own training.

If your lawyer says you're hosed - get another attorney!

Good luck!!

Baja.

In PA, if you accept a job in your field of employment at a higher pay, the contract will not stand. No job can keep you from improving your life style, regardless of what you sign.

A word of warning to pilots looking for jobs - don't sign a training contract. There is a reason these companies require them - and usually it is because their pay, working conditions and equipment is so bad that there is no way most people want to stay. If people stopped signing these contracts, maybe these companies would be forced to improve the working environment.

This is good advice.

I used to be marginally on the side of people who say: "If you sign the paper, do the time (or pay)."

I don't agree with that anymore, for exactly the reasons NEDude states: Those operators are the scum of the air and should be treated as such by every pilot who uses them to build time. After all, your career and probably your life are in danger the entire time of your employment. They aren't paying you enough for that.

Now, if a reputable operator asks me to give my word I will work at least a year after getting my type, without signing a contract, I'm all in favor of that.

I also agree that if you don't like what your attorney told you, get another. I can't imagine the contract is without loopholes.

C

Heywatchthis...

You allege that the company was making you violate regs. Do you have documentation? If so... you SHOULD be home free.

If you can PROVE your allegations, then you should be OK, hell you might be able to sue them. If not.... well, depends on the state.

But most importantly, get an aviation attorney.

Good luck, man. For what it's worth, I've only heard of a few guys getting really slammed with training contracts. So, unless you're in a lousy state with a lousy attorney, you should be able to swing something. At least get it down from 21k.

Any loopholes? Any ideas? Can they really collect? How bad will it hurt my credit? and can they ever force me to pay the debt.

Thanks.

1) Probably 2)Maybe 3) Yes, if you don't fight back 4) If they get a judgement against you, real bad. 5) Yes! Wage garnishment will follow you around no matter where you go. It will take some time, but they will find you.

What state are you located? Agreed, find another attorney. Do you have AOPA legal? The legal plan will not fight this for you, but they will give you some good advice. As someone asked, is there documentation and/or other company (ex)pilots that would testify on your behalf? Did you speak to management to try to improve the situation before leaving? Did you get a substantial pay raise at your new job? The last two speak for character and motivation. Lastly, do you have $12,250 to pay for 7/12 of the training contract? If so, offer it up and make this go away. If this goes to court and you have not counter sued, then you can probably ask for arbitration and have another chance to pay the $12,250. So what state are you located?

How about telling us who this operator is that you use to work for. Save others from falling into the same trap.

Latest resources

Back