• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Training Contract Woes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Depends on the wording in the contract, but if they terminate you than you aren't liable for the training contract. But I would talk to an attorney and not on some aviation message board.

A Squared said:
I know exatly what you said. Like I said, it's a statement which comments only only on your ignorance of the issue......"I haven't heard......". The fact that you haven't heard of a contract being enforcable is completly irrelevant and adds nothing intelligent to the discussion. It really doen't matter what you think you've heard from your buddies who have skated on thier contracts. You apparently don't even grasp that even if they did skate on a contract and *didn't* get pursued in court, that doens't shed any light on whether such a contract is legally enfocable. That's why your "I've haven't heard" comment is pointless and inane. Now if you had *heard* of a case in which a training contract was thrown out in court, now *that* would be relevant. It would be even more relevant if you could provide a link to the transcript.

You apparently mistake burying your head in the sand for relevant knowledge.

Read this:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/nebraskastatecases/sc/dec14/s00-221.pdf

Now you've heard of a training contract being enforcable.

A bitter, angry, old man. Sorry life hasn't treated you any better. Have a blessed day.

pilotmiketx said:
A bitter, angry, old man. Sorry life hasn't treated you any better. Have a blessed day.

Ahhh, yes, when you don't have anything relevant to say, respond with personal insults which have nothing to do with the subject. (and apparently need to be edited by a moderator)

i'mbatman said:
I would demand a copy of the training agreement. If they lost it, than you are in luck. If they DO have it, read it thoroughly and carefully. Don't pay a dime until you absolutely have to.IB

Careful, man, A Squared is off the Lithium and has been watching Judge Judy...

What I don't know is why you guys sign these things. I have signed three and when I took those jobs, it was a no brainer that I was going to stay for at least a year without the contract anyway.

Next time you're at a job interview and they say, "you're hired!" When they slide that puppy across the table and ask you to sign the form, put it in your attache case and tell them you don't sign contracts untill someone who knows what the hell the legalities are splains something to you.

If they don't like it, walk.

KeroseneSnorter said:
Spend a few bucks to consult with an attorny, but gut feeling is they terminated you so you are off the hook.

Depends. I think many training contracts require you to pay if you were terminated "for cause". Otherwise training contracts would be ridiculously easy to get out of. Just don't show up for work. they fire you. you're out of the contract. So now it becomes a question of whether he was terminated for cause which opens the door for a lot of mud slinging. Unless he has a termination notice in his hand which says "Dear Wiggsfly, we are terminating you due to a reduction in workforce due to no fault of your own" it may be a pretty rocky road.

pilotmiketx, still nothing intelligent to say on the issue, I see

wiggsfly said:
Well, for some reason I signed at my old company. They changed their mind with me and decided to make it 3 years at 6000 dollars and right after I signed I was told new FOs are too dumb for any real training and the training contract was just because he was sick of new FOs quitting for the airlines. The agreement I signed said they were giving me a $6000 grant on July 1. After July 1 I flew along on 1 pt91 trip which was billed to the customer and I took my checkride (which I was specifically told did not count to the agreement). To show how much training I had on the checkride I had no idea of stall procedures and as it was only my first time flying an actual pattern it was less than pretty to say the least.

Exactly what kind of training in what kind of a/c did you receive? Was it the equivilant of what you would expect to pay if you got the training from a flight training facility? Reading between the lines, it almost sounds like this company just wanted to scare you into not leaving, but really didn't provide any training. What kind of checkride did you take? Was there a sign-off in your logbook, or on some company training file? Were you paid a salary, or was this a 'warm body in the seat getting experience, and maybe some money too' deal? Is this a 135 operation, or strictly 91. 135, and 121, etc, have strict standards regarding what kind of training, and when it is performed. Initial training on a 'live' flight is prohibited. Were you qualified to be PIC, and did you act as one after training? Were you a required SIC, or a walking talking gear and flap actuator? My point is if you didn't GET trained then you don't really OWE them a training contract 'grant'. Frankly, they sound like a crap outfit, but you should keep an eye on your credit rating at the very least in case they but something in there. Good luck!
Brian

Thats exactly what they told me. They have people sign them so they won't quit. It was for Citation ISP and IISPs (although they have since added a five). Training consisted of a company training record and a "checkride" with the owner of the company. For my "time" I was paid a daily rate. Training was "just ride along and watch" on part 91 flights with passengers (most were owner trips at least one was an illegal charter I later learned) and they billed the passengers for both the pilot and aircraft so there was NO money spent to train me.

AirBP said:
Exactly what kind of training in what kind of a/c did you receive? Was it the equivilant of what you would expect to pay if you got the training from a flight training facility? Reading between the lines, it almost sounds like this company just wanted to scare you into not leaving, but really didn't provide any training. What kind of checkride did you take? Was there a sign-off in your logbook, or on some company training file? Were you paid a salary, or was this a 'warm body in the seat getting experience, and maybe some money too' deal? Is this a 135 operation, or strictly 91. 135, and 121, etc, have strict standards regarding what kind of training, and when it is performed. Initial training on a 'live' flight is prohibited. Were you qualified to be PIC, and did you act as one after training? Were you a required SIC, or a walking talking gear and flap actuator? My point is if you didn't GET trained then you don't really OWE them a training contract 'grant'. Frankly, they sound like a crap outfit, but you should keep an eye on your credit rating at the very least in case they but something in there. Good luck!
Brian

Latest resources

Back