• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Training Contract Woes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To add to this on a related rant I can understand people getting pissed if there was time and effort wasted to train someone and they immediately take that experience to get a different job. I can also understand a company getting pissed for sending someone for a type-rating or any Simu-flight like training and having them quit right afterwards. Had any of those been the case with me I would not have been so quick to jump ship. As it is they gave me no real training and just had me ride along trips that would havev gone anyway. They told me flat out after I signed that new FOs couldn't handle real training (i.e flight safety, etc) so that was out of the question. I'm not really taking any of it with me. It didn't get me my new job. I'll be flying Caravans in a far off place for a place that didn't have any multi or 135 rerquirements. I was told this agreement was just to keep FOs from leaving.

I've never been so much as late on a library book so breaking any contract is not in my nature. In this case I am walking away from an agreement that had already been broken by the company long before I took a new job. They promised me training I didn't receive. The problem is now it looks like I'm going to have to fight it due to them wanting to be a pain-in-the-a## about it. That to me is aggravating. Outside of this forum I have a lawyer (I talked to one this afternoon) and friends telling me if anything I should be the one suing him after he threatened me to go to my new company and cause problems. I just don't want to stoop to that level if I don't have to. I just want to be out of here and done with it without looking back.

I would demand a copy of the training agreement. If they lost it, than you are in luck. If they DO have it, read it thoroughly and carefully. Don't pay a dime until you absolutely have to.IB

I agree with Batman but would try to keep it calm and civil.

I suggest writing a letter to the President of the company and send it Certified, Return-receipt-requested. I would politely ask them to provide you with copies of any and all ground and flight training records, checkride forms, evaluations, job descriptions, training agreements and/or contracts and employment agreements and/or contracts. Tell them you need this information to properly "process their request for payment." Do not say you have no intention of paying but do not indicate you do have any intention of paying either.

This will put the ball in their court requiring them to put up or shut up. If they comply, you have some concrete evidence to take to an attorney to properly evaluate your case and recommend a course of action. More than likely, based on your description of events, they won't have the records and your letter will cause them to recognize the weakness of their case and put them on notice you won't be bullied into rolling over.

It sounds like you were very lucky to avoid having to explain to all your future employers why you busted an FAA checkride. Almost every airport has a fly-by-night operator like this. When I was younger, hungrier and stupider, I almost let a shyster like this kill me and my passengers(pencil-whipped maintenance.)

Don't expect any help from the FAA. Feel free to report anything you know but I suggest you do it anonymously. I think there is a tipline. You never know who is or was in bed with these guys. The FAA is like a traffic cop. Report someone who runs red lights all you want but if the cop doesn't see it with his own eyes he isn't going to do anything about it. He also isn't likely to do anything then if he's on his way to a shift change or a coffee break.

Make all your communications with this company in writing. Nothing verbal or via email. Keep it civil and build a paper trail.

Good luck.

Thanks, i've requested a copy of the contract to no avail. As for reporting anyone to the FAA. That I will not do, but if I have to fight this in court it will be hard to avoid it coming out. Anyway, I'm working with a lawyer now and we'll what happens. Thank you all for your advice.

Been hurt in a Car Wreck?

HAVE YOU BEEN HURT IN A CAR WRECK?

DIAL 1-800-ASQUARED

ASQUARED CAN GET YOU THE MONEY YOU DESERVE!
"One, night, I was driving home from a crackhouse and the police chased my car into a brick wall. ASquared got me paid, yo. I got way more than I thought. I partied like a rock star and now I'm broke again. Thanks, ASquared!" --Actual Client

SO IF YOU'VE BEEN HURT, OR NOT, OR JUST WANT UNSOLICITED LEGAL ADVICE CALL 1-800-ASQUARED NOW!!!Not certified by anyone.

pilotmiketx said:
HAVE YOU BEEN HURT IN A CAR WRECK?..........Not certified by anyone.

That was actually pretty funny, I'll give you that. But you gotta ask yourself punk, why would you continue to draw attention to the fact that you still haven't got anything intelligent to say on the issue?

You obviously have enough intelligence for EVERYONE here. Stop picking on me. My mom says I'm special, but I know I'm a retard.

why would anyone sign a contract in the first place? The companies get away with it because there are people who will sign the contract. Imagine if nobody would sign a contract, you might get hired for your qualifications.

Latest resources

Back