• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Traffic pattern question at uncontrolled airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahh I see. But could you explain how that could be unsafe...?? Kind of confusing because traffic is traffic...on the ground or in the air....a collision can happen aloft or on the ground. Also most uncontrolled airports don't have a FSS. (Most i've flown to) I know you didn't write this but can i get an explanation please...Thanks.

Last edited:
AMISH, I think that portion of the AIM is for classic examples like this....
Guy at an uncontrolled airport jumps in his plane, taxis out to the runway and says "Any traffic in the area please advise" He heard no one transmit and then proceeds to "kick the tires and light the fires"
THAT it is a BIG NO NO.......

Last edited:
It adds to congestion on the radios and we all know how much some airports have with that. Every now and then I hear someone's life story on the radio.

and in Canada at untowered FM fields reports are mandatory

Ahh I see. But could you explain how that could be unsafe...?? Kind of confusing because traffic is traffic...on the ground or in the air....a collision can happen aloft or on the ground. Also most uncontrolled airports don't have a FSS. (Most i've flown to) I know you didn't write this but can i get an explanation please...Thanks.

Here's one scenario where it's unsafe. A pilot in an aircraft not required to have comm radios doesn't hear your transmission which leads to a false sense of security that no one is hovering around the pattern.

It also adds to radio congestion if other pilots begin frantically announcing their position all at once. Radio congestion is a problem especially when several airports share a common frequency, which is usually the case. It's best to pay attention and visualize other position calls rather than asking every pilot in the pattern to transmit. You also create confusion for airports on the same frequency who aren't affected. I've seen pilots get chewed up on the ground by other pilots for making these calls. It really adds nothing to the safety of the flight and generally inconveniences all.

The best way to look at this is to keep your head on a swivel at uncontrolled airports. You should make the appropriate radio calls for each leg and listen up to other aircraft in the terminal area/pattern. This is more effective and efficient than having every plane in the pattern asking for traffic.

Can you imagine if every pilot broadcast his pattern leg and continued to say "any traffic, please advise" at the end of their calls. This would create a maddening situation. Having to listen to this call and every pilot chiming in where they are would create lots of confusion and distractions.

Over the top 500ft above TPA tear drop around and enter the 45. Make standard call outs and explain what your going to be doing. Lastly keep your head on a swivel.

Many people think this is the way (a teardrop) to enter a traffic pattern. I'm surprised that even some college programs teach that method; because clearly, it is against the FAR's. As AVBUG (and the regs) say, make all turns to the left. The teardrop has the pilot making a 225 degree turn to the right so as to position for the 45 degree entry to downwind. That 225 degree turn is contrary to the "make all turns to the left" regulation.

Personally, I like to fly a crosswind at TPA (which is low enough to see the sock) and then turn left to a downwind leg while constantly scanning for traffic.

Many people think this is the way (a teardrop) to enter a traffic pattern. I'm surprised that even some college programs teach that method; because clearly, it is against the FAR's. As AVBUG (and the regs) say, make all turns to the left.

Make all turns to the left when approaching to land (or in other words in the traffic pattern). If I am landing on 27 and coming in from the south west then I am going to enter the traffic pattern on the 45 and make a right turn into the down wind for 27.

Are you saying you are going to fly across the airport left turn onto the upwind then come all the around for 27?

Many people think this is the way (a teardrop) to enter a traffic pattern. I'm surprised that even some college programs teach that method; because clearly, it is against the FAR's. As AVBUG (and the regs) say, make all turns to the left. The teardrop has the pilot making a 225 degree turn to the right so as to position for the 45 degree entry to downwind. That 225 degree turn is contrary to the "make all turns to the left" regulation.

Personally, I like to fly a crosswind at TPA (which is low enough to see the sock) and then turn left to a downwind leg while constantly scanning for traffic.

Please reference the FAR you are saying people are breaking.

AC-90-66A suggests making all turns to the left unless otherwise indicated, however, advisory circulars are not regulatory but advisory in nature.

Latest resources

Back