• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Traffic Pattern Anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Especially when you take an active runway with an aircraft on short final.

Where will you take that runway? You won't take posession of it. You won't take control. It isn't yours. You can't take it home. Where will you take it?

You can certainly enter the runway environment.

Is a control tower in use, authorizing that runway and designating it as active? No? Then it's not the active runway. It's just the runway. Rather than say "taking the active," you might say "taxiing and holding on runway 22."

You're more precise in your transmission, the runway to which you're referring is specifically named, and your reporting is correct.

Remember that at an uncontrolled field, there is no "active." Merely because you're using that runway doesn't mean someone else won't be using another. By thinking in terms of an "active" runway, you're thinking in terms of what you expect...don't expect. Look everywhere. The runway you happen to be using, or that others happen to be using, isn't necessarily the only one "active" or in use...expand your thinking to all possibilities, don't narrow it to the one runway on which you're operating.

Ya all be careful out there, deal with it!

UndauntedFlyer said:
However, the recommended calls are important if they can be made. Taxiing out for takeoff to runway xx, taking off on runway xx, downwind, on base and on final runway xx are always important if you can get them in.

UF,

Dont' get me wrong, I definitely believe in making the standard radio calls you mentioned, including something like "small town traffic, Skyhawk 4MW departing rwy 5". I also think making a quick call when you are clear of the rwy is good too.

I'm just talking about overdoing it, which I used to do. For example, I'd say I was departing so and so FBO to whatever rwy. It was a quick call, but eventually I just didn't see it was necessary. I think everyone on the ground is perfectly capable of seeing each other, and nobody is going to be landing on the taxiway (you'd hope so anyway).

I think we all agree people asking for traffic to advise them is counterproductive - what if everybody answers at once? - and it's selfish/annoying.

avbug said:
Remember that at an uncontrolled field, there is no "active." Merely because you're using that runway doesn't mean someone else won't be using another. By thinking in terms of an "active" runway, you're thinking in terms of what you expect...don't expect. Look everywhere. The runway you happen to be using, or that others happen to be using, isn't necessarily the only one "active" or in use...expand your thinking to all possibilities, don't narrow it to the one runway on which you're operating.
That's a great peace of advice!

New Traffic Pattern Question?

How about this? A non-towered airport has two runways, a 18-36 and a 9-27. Wx is 700 OVC & 2 on the visibility. You're making the ILS-LOC approach to Rwy 36 which has a NOTAM that it is a closed runway today for construction. Standard traffic to all runways. Wind is 090/15 so it's runway 9 for the planned circle to land. The question is can the pilot make right traffic and land runway 9 or does he have to come all the way over the field to make a left turn to runway 9? What would you do? What are the rules?

I think he has to come over the field and enter left traffic for runway 9. Can anybody show me contrary to any rules or AC on this subject?

What do you think?

Last edited:
Heyas,

Hmmm, I feel an "Uncontrolled Airport Horror Story" thread comming on...

Just to get it started, I'll add two to the pot...

Flying for a dink commuter out of East Butthole, Nebraska. Airport has a number of long runways, and an old closed runway that runs infront of the terminal ramp that is now a taxiway, and has been for years. We're taxiing out at o'dark thirty. CTAF is completely silent.

We're getting ready to pull out off the terminal ramp onto the taxiway when I get this creepy feeling...I look out AND up to see a Baron that had just departed the taxiway. I jam on the brakes, everyone in the back does a head thump, and this guy just toodles off into the sunrise without saying a word.

Moral of the story? Airplanes can come at from where you least expect them.

Story number two. Working for a dink flight school in in the South. Nice little uncontrolled field, and the FBO/school is the only thing going on.

The runway crowns a hill, so that you can't see one end of the runway from the other.

We're on final in the PA-44, with a number of other AC in the pattern. Transient in a Baron (seeing a pattern here?) pulls out into position as we pass over the numbers. Student lands, and just after we touch down Baron dude transmits he's rolling. I tell him to just hold on a bit (in a nice way), as we are still on the runway. We pass over the crown and slow to turn left off the runway...another creepy feeling...I look over past my student to see a Baron cresting the hill. It took a little extra power, but we get out of this guys way.

Moral of the story: Some people are just tools (yours truley included<G>).

When most (9 out 10) people goof at an uncontrolled field, they feel worse about it that you do, and brerating them in person or on the radio isn't really going to help. If it was particularly egregious, a little friendly chat about "the local deal" is usually more than enough over a soda or cup of coffee, and you'd probably earn a new buddy.

The 10th person will be a complete anti-authority, I'm always right tool that will probably either yell at you, tell you it was your fault or threaten you with physical violence. Yelling at them doesn't do any good either.

In short, yelling at anyone never does any good...

Let's hear your stories!

Nu

UndauntedFlyer said:
How about this? A non-towered airport has two runways, a 18-36 and a 9-27. Wx is 700 OVC & 2 on the visibility. You're making the ILS-LOC approach to Rwy 36 which has a NOTAM that it is a closed runway today for construction. Standard traffic to all runways. Wind is 090/15 so it's runway 9 for the planned circle to land. The question is can the pilot make right traffic and land runway 9 or does he have to come all the way over the field to make a left turn to runway 9? What would you do? What are the rules?

I think he has to come over the field and enter left traffic for runway 9. Can anybody show me contrary to any rules or AC on this subject?

What do you think?
Wow, you really filled out your profile.

UndauntedFlyer said:

Well, yah -- left traffic. Who likes circle-to-land right traffic anyway?

OK. So lets try something a little different on another day when the wind changes to let's say 270/15 at the same airport with the same situation, ILS-LOC approaoch to Runway 36, circle to runway 27. This time you see the field a little late and you're in too close to enter a left downwind. Can you come over the field and enter a right down wind to 27?

I think not. What do you all think?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back