• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Traffic Pattern Anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of course every time a discussion about traffic patterns comes up, everybody should really review this NTSB ruling.

http://www.ntsb.gov/alj/O_n_O/docs/aviation/4236.PDF

A little trivia, who do you think is going to get their license revoked. The 20,000 hour CFI flying a standard pattern, or the jet that is doing a straight in to the same airport? The answer may surprise you.

Bottom line, Straight ins are legal, and traffic on final has the right-of-way:eek: .

Great Answer - Best I've Ever Read on Traffic Pattern

Avbug, this is the only way to deal with traffic at a non-towered airport. Your post here is right on.

Avbug wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I landed at an uncontrolled field, with several aircraft in area. I arrived IFR and cancelled on arrival at the field. After announcing a downwind, base, and final, I observed a small twin sitting on the opposite end of the runway, while I was on very short final. I went around. As I went over the top of him, I enquired on the radio if the twin sitting on the end of the runway were listening.

He immediately came back and said yes, he was, and he was departing.

Foolish on his part? Yes. He had been sitting down there, he knew I was there. I didn't see him on the runway. The terrain, layout of the runway, and another distraction lead to my failure to see him (and possibly some eyesight that isn't what it once was...though I'm not ready to concede on that point, yet)...yet he was fully aware of me, and my intentions.

End result? I went around, stayed in the pattern, and landed. He departed, and didn't return.

Not a big deal. See and avoid, deal with traffic as you see it.

If the aircraft doing the straight in is a Hawker 800XP, then so be it. Deal with it. If the aircraft doing the straight in is a Cessna 172, then so be it. Deal with it. If the aircraft doing the straight in is a Cirrus, then so be it. Deal with it.

Perhaps the other guy will do the right thing, perhaps he won't. Your problem is taking whatever action is necessary to address the situation. If that means going around extending, leaving the pattern until the other guy figures it out, making an extra announcement, directly querying the other guy, adjusting your speed and/or spacing, or any other action necessary to ensure safe operation, then that's what you do.

And you don't worry about it after the fact.

Don't get wrapped up in what the other guy does or doesn't do, or who was "courteous" to you and who was not. Deal with what you can control, act accordingly, and leave the rest of the baggage behind you in your wake.

You'll live longer.

And happier

UndauntedFlyer said:
Avbug, this is the only way to deal with traffic at a non-towered airport. Your post here is right on.

Avbug wrote:

Don't you think he could have called you up and told you where he was at? What's the difference between a MULTICOM and UNICOM? I know what they're for, but what's the difference. Also, sometimes I see that an airport has a CTAF and UNICOM, correct me if I'm wrong, but should you make your callouts on the CTAF, then talk to the FBO or whatever on the UNICOM?

Both Multicom (122.9) or the designated Unicom at a non-towered field are primarily used for CTAF. Which means that pilots should announce their positions and intentions as they approach the airport and in the pattern. Active participation is very important, but all the same this is not mandatory and it may be that some of the other airplanes don't participate because they may not even have a radio. Others may be inbound and talking to the IFR center or outbound doing the same. Even if they are IFR they should switch to CTAF at some point but often times they don't. Except for the no radio airplanes they SHOULD all participate but not all do. But just as Avbug has so correctly stated, "Just Deal with It." This is the way it is. As they say in Atlanta, "Ya all be careful out there."

Now to go on about your questions, with Unicom vrs. Multicom, its the same but with Unicom it is recommended that a pilot initiate a call inbound about 15 miles out to ask for general advisory information, ie, runway in use, wind, etc. Maybe the Unicom (FBO) people will ask if you need a taxi or fuel or something else. Then monitor that freq (which is CTAF) and continually update your position. I believe that it is a good ideal to be proactive and solicit positions of other traffic in the pattern or the area if there don't seem to be any airplanes reporting anything. I might say, "Fox River traffic, this is Decathlon 297AC, 10-miles SE, inbound for landing, any traffic in the area or in the pattern at Fox River please advise." This technique is not specifically recommended by the FAA in the AIM or anywhere else, but it works well. Sometimes, by being proactive, I wake up people to use their mic and they then announce that they are taxiing out for takeoff, or that they will be departing runway 19 shortly. When pilots complain of others and their non-participation those pilots could oftentimes look at themselves too and say, "Was I as proactive as I could have been?" In any case, just as Avbug has said, "Deal with it." And as they say in Atlanta, "Ya all be careful out there."

Now regarding the question of when you see both a CTAF frequency and a Unicom frequency. I have only ever seen that at a tower controlled airport when the tower is closed for the evening. The unused tower freq is the CTAF freq. In that case you could call the Unicom 15 miles out but they probably won't have much to say about any advisories of any kind because it's the night shift people and they are not used to such calls. So then, in any case, just go to CTAF (the tower freq) and start soliciting reports from any other airplanes in the area or who may be in the pattern. Also, continue to announce your own position reports.

The best advice that can be given about the traffic pattern at a non-towered airport or even at a towered field is always maintain vigilance. In other wards, as Avbug has so correctly stated, "Just deal with it."

"Ya all be careful out there."

Questions/comments are welcome…….

Last edited:
100-1/2 said:
While we are on the subject. STOP BROADCASTING YOUR TAXI PROGRESS TO/FROM the RAMP. On many Freqs, it is not only annoying as he<<, it often blocks out more pertinant info being transmitted.

my $.02.

100-1/2

I understand what you're saying about people transmitting too much, particularly on the ground. I do make a habit of announcing when I'm crossing a rwy though. Something really quick like "small town traffic, Skyhawk 45W crossing 9/27 on the ground".

Can't STAND it when somebody calls up to a busy field and says "small town traffic, advise active runway or traffic in the pattern please advise". Shut up for 15 secs and listen, and you'll know exactly which rwy is being used and where everybody is.

Last edited:
What's truly amazing here is that bright, knowing, intelligent "real" pilots managed to screw it up without a crop duster in the pattern to blame. Go figurure.

avbug said:
What's truly amazing here is that bright, knowing, intelligent "real" pilots managed to screw it up without a crop duster in the pattern to blame. Go figurure.

Duuude, all dem traffic pattern should look like Pac-Man Patterns! Dat would be like Freaking Awesome!!!!!!!!!

To WRXPILOT: You are correct about people making too many calls in the blind when the freq is very busy. In that case, if pilots just keep quite they might get all the information they need about active runway and what traffic is in the pattern. In such a situation it may not be a problem because hopefully everyone is really on their toes looking everywhere for everyone, as they really should be all the time anyway. However, the recommended calls are important if they can be made. Taxiing out for takeoff to runway xx, taking off on runway xx, downwind, on base and on final runway xx are always important if you can get them in. Of course don't over do it. Flying the airplane and looking for traffic is always first priority. Non-required calls can be skipped if workload makes them impractical.

Many times it is quiet on CTAF and then it is most important to make the recommended calls, still workload permitting. Making a call on downwind, base and final is always a good idea but it may be too distracting sometimes in order to safely fly the airplane. So it’s your decision to make. Certainly completing your landing checklist and remembering to lower the gear is far more important than announcing your position in the pattern more than once. A quite frequency sometimes gives pilots a false sense of security. The farther out (15 miles) you start being proactive and announcing your position the better. The 15 mile call gives everyone a heads up that an airplane is inbound. Such a call brings all the pilots in the area to life.

The procedures shown in the AIM for CTAF are important and are well thought out. From what you have written you and others might disagree somewhat with the one about announcing your intentions when taxiing out for takeoff, but that is actually one of the most important reports to make, just as is the one about when your position at 15 miles out for landing. It gives everyone a heads-up.

With that in mind I want to tell of a pilot who was departing early in the morning from an airport. This was before the tower was even open and it was still dark. The WX was 1X1/4SM in snow. The pilot got his IFR clearance on the remote center freq and began to taxi for takeoff. He never did announce on the local tower freq that he was taxiing for takeoff. After all, who would think that that would be necessary? He was released for IFR departure and he moved out onto the runway. Although he though it shouldn’t be necessary, just before he applied full power for takeoff, he changed to the tower freq and announced his intentions. Unknown to the pilot because of the visibility, a snow plow was on the runway. The plow didn't have a radio transmitter but he did have a receiver set to the tower freq. The plow truck operator heard the transmission and hurried down and off the runway as fast as possible. The pilot narrowly missed the plow and would have had a sure collision if he hadn't made that takeoff transmission.

These procedures are good ones and should be followed to the extent possible if workload permits. Did the pilot in this post have time to announce he was taxiing out or takeoff? Certainly he did. He just didn't think it was important. So I say again, workload permitting, make all the calls that are recommended.

Last edited:
On Friday I was returning to the field after doing some ground-ref practice. The wind (only 5 kts) favored rwy 7. Another guy in a Cessna entered downwind, and I crossed mid-field to enter behind him. A third guy was taxiing to take off on 7, and a Citation was just pulling out of the avionics shop. I enter downwind, and notice the Citation is holding short of 25. The guy in front of me lands, takes his sweet time getting off the runway. About that time, the guy waiting to take off of 7 calls the Citation guy (apparantly they were together) and tells him he forgot something at the avionics shop and was going back. The Citation guy says that he'll go back too to wait on him. No problem. Then as I'm 400' from touchdown, the Citation takes the runway. My posterior got a good grip on most of the seat cushion. After at least 3 hours (probably more like 3 seconds...), he decides to let us know that he's "just turning around".

It is a very good idea to 1, follow the flow of traffic, and 2, make your intentions clear BEFORE you do them. Especially when you take an active runway with an aircraft on short final.

Latest resources

Back