• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Traffic in sight"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When we all use ATN or whichever CPDLC based NEXGEN comm, someone will bitch that it is too quiet and my fingers hurt from text messaging.

We tried to warn them this was going to happen when they first started putting radios in airplanes and eroding Captain's Authority. :angryfire

Settle down, Francis/Mach 80

Now I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that you are a guard monitoring hawk as well. You got your finger on the trigger just waiting for that errant chatter on 121.5 so you can jump in with an assertive, "On Guard!"

I love you guys... keep up the good work. Ten four. Over and out.

Negative. The Guard Nazi Award goes to an airline headquartered in ATL. M.80 is AA afaik.

I am doing the best I can to keep up with the best. Before every flight I rinse to readjust my vocal chords and retune my voice to 440Hz just in case I need to scream: GUARD!!!

Generally, I never call traffic in sight, as it alleviates the controller from his responsibility, which is to keep me from hitting any other guys around me that he can see. Besides, there's a chance I'm looking at different traffic from the one he's referring to.

The exception is if it's traffic to follow on the visual and there's no question whom we've been following.

Last edited:
Generally, I never call traffic in sight, as it alleviates the controller from his responsibility, which is to keep me from hitting any other guys around me that he can see. Besides, there's a chance I'm looking at different traffic from the one he's referring to.

The exception is if it's traffic to follow on the visual and there's no question whom we've been following.

Whoa, here's a guy with great SA. The thread was about calling traffic in sight in the flight levels, partner.

You've heard of see and avoid right? And the pilot's responsibility. It's in the AIM, might wanna take a peak. Traffic advisories is time permitting for controllers if that traffic is VFR. They're responsible for separation of IFR first.

Latest resources

Back