• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trading "down" from a C340 to a Malibu

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Piper is trying to extract too much energy from the TSIO-520, with two turbo's and two intercoolers pumping up the pressures.

gfvalvo said:
Too much power.

Yes, that's been our feeling about the Malibus. They have the exact same engine as our Saratoga, only as mentioned earlier it has twin turbochargers. Trying to squeeze every ounce of energy out of a power plant.

One hitch with the Bonanza is lack of pressurization.

20 years ago, I flew a P210 quite a bit. It had its quirks, but still a pretty impressive airplane. A Turbo 210 is still tough to beat when it comes to all around value. You'll have several good types to choose from.

'Sled

Funny. I know of three guys who traded up to twins after dead-sticking their malibus/mirages in. I would rather fly a Skylane or a Saratoga. I would quit flying before I would fly one of those things regularly.

Look at a Meridian. Same airframe as a Mirage. Different wing and a PT6 make the thing a hot rod. Flew one yesterday and it was a blast.

chriskcmo said:
Look at a Meridian. Same airframe as a Mirage. Different wing and a PT6 make the thing a hot rod. Flew one yesterday and it was a blast.
What an excellent idea! The guy wants to cut costs by trading down from a quarter million dollar C340 to a million dollar + turbine. Makes perfect sense to me.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
What an excellent idea! The guy wants to cut costs by trading down from a quarter million dollar C340 to a million dollar + turbine. Makes perfect sense to me.

'Sled
... great useful load too, with full fuel you can carry two people and a brown-bag lunch.

Lead Sled said:

'Sled

LOL...

As long as we're dreaming....would a TBM700 be considered a trade down?

I'd much rather fly one of those than an Meridian....

Someone posted the downside of the Bonanza is no pressurization....

That's the only reason I thought of the Malibu, and why I bought this 340 over a 310 that was available at the same time.

They were both about the same price, but I went with the comfort of not having a tube up my nose anymore.

Otherwise, the Bonanza fits almost everything we want.

Pressurized piston singles have never seemed like a good deal to me. If you really need to be pressurized, I'd be more inclined to bite the bullet and stick with the 340.

Latest resources

Back