Trading "down" from a C340 to a Malibu

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JimG

Due to various reasons ($4/gal gas being one), I'm contemplating trading my C-340 down to a Piper Malibu, or B36TC.

Things have changed in my business and the C340 is now more airplane than I need and want to pay for, since I'm not traveling the distances I have been, or the wx in the process.....thank God.

The extra engine and 10 ktas isn't worth the price anymore.

The values of a mid-80's Malibu is about equal to my 340, but the owning/operating costs from what I can tell are probably half.

Am I nuts in considering a Malibu?

Or would you go with a tried and true Bonanza (I have over 1000 hours (M35) in) and put up with an oxygen tube up your nose?

I've got a couple thousand hours in a C340, but only a few in a Malibu. Personally, I'd never be able to get comfortable in the Malibu or Mirage with their history of engine issues. The Bonanza or (if you didn't need the 5th and 6th seat) even a Mooney 251 or Bravo would get you close to C340 speeds at about 1/3 the overall cost and give you nearly the same capabilities that you have now.

I'd think long and hard about buying a Malibu. If the Bonanza fits your mission, I'd buy that over a Malibu in a heartbeat. The Malibu drinks less than your 340, but it might very well make up for that in MX costs. I've known several Malibu pilots, and they all say the plane doesn't do anything well except spend the owner's money.

Also take a look at the Malibu's useful load and make sure it'll carry the number of people you'd like at a distance you'd like. I remember looking at the W&B for a Malibu and thinking that it was a very nice two person airplane. :)

bigD said:
I remember looking at the W&B for a Malibu and thinking that it was a very nice two person airplane. :)

Yep. Super Turdmobile, unless you're mission is either really short (why you'd want a turbocharged, pressurized plane is beyond me) or really light.

Unless you need known ice or 6 seats, Mooney makes the most efficient singles. Lots of choices in your price range. You could have all the fancy whizz bang avionics and air conditioning for the price of your 340. Normally aspirated will always be cheaper to operate if you don't need to go high.

Thanks guys

MauleSkinner said:
I know 3 guys who have had to dead-stick a Malibu...are your glider skills current? ;)

Not since I dead sticked a 172 (to an airport fortunately) about 18 years ago.

The engine problems in the Malibu have been a concern, as well as general mx problems that I read about, but every airplane has that risk. I just got the 340 in top condition after a year of replacing and rebuilding (new engines, props, avionics, alternators, vacuum pump) and it hasn't cost me a dime in mx since.

It's just more aiplane (hangar, insurance, fuel) than Il need anymore.

As far as Mooneys and normally aspirated....I've got 3 kids (9-17y/o) and fly out of high altitude airports and cross over alot of high terrain. MEA's of 12000 are common around here, and a few that I use are higher than that.

JimG said:
As far as Mooneys and normally aspirated....I've got 3 kids (9-17y/o) and fly out of high altitude airports and cross over alot of high terrain. MEA's of 12000 are common around here, and a few that I use are higher than that.

Turbo Saratoga. More plane than a Mooney, less than a Malibu. Good reliable engine and simple systems. T-206 is good, but speed challenged.

MauleSkinner said:
I know 3 guys who have had to dead-stick a Malibu...are your glider skills current? ;)
David

What's the deal with the Malibu and engine problems? It has the same basic engine as a Cessna 414 or Beech V35, (Continental TSIO-520). Those aircraft don't seem to have as many engine problems? Or do they?

Latest resources

Back