• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Freebrd

ap.gif
Associated Press
Update 1: Independence Air Retools Amid Struggles
10.27.2004, 06:05 PM

Just four months after its launch, Independence Air is right up there with some of the largest U.S. carriers - in survival mode.

Its planes less than half full despite dirt-cheap fares, Independence Air said Wednesday it will overhaul its ticket distribution system, cut capacity in some markets and negotiate with lenders in order to preserve cash necessary to avoid bankruptcy.

The airline's parent company, FLYi, Inc., announced third-quarter losses Wednesday of $83 million, or $1.82 a share. A year ago the carrier, then known as Atlantic Coast Airlines, turned a $23 million third-quarter profit. It operated at the time as a regional carrier for UAL Corp.'s United Airlines, which is in Chapter 11, and Delta Air Lines Inc., which is struggling to avoid it.

This summer the company embarked on a risky transformation, remaking itself into a low-fare carrier based at Dulles International Airport. The airline is unique among low-fare carriers, with a fleet comprised largely of small, 50-seat regional jets, which generally cost more to operate on a per-person basis.

The airline's stock dropped more than 50 percent last week after UBS Securities analyst Robert Ashcroft warned that the company might have to file for bankruptcy as soon as January and said "it's clear to us that FLYi's business plan isn't working." On Wednesday the airline's stock fell 24 cents, or 15 percent, to $1.40 a share on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

The airline believed that round-trip fares as low as $58 would generate sufficient demand to fill 600 daily departures to 39 East Coast cities, including many smaller airports like Lansing, Mich., Portland, Maine, Charleston, W.V. and Dayton, Ohio.

Company chief executive Kerry Skeen acknowledged on Wednesday, though, that the airline simply hasn't drawn as many travelers as it expected.

The airline's load factor, a measurement of how its planes are, dropped from 45.5 percent in August to 44.4 percent in September. The average airline load factor is about 72 percent, according to government statistics.

As a result, Skeen said Wednesday the airline will abandon its plan to sell tickets only through its Web site and its 1-800 number. The airline will now make its tickets available through the Galileo system, which is used by travel agents, and hopes to make deals with other distribution networks.

The airline had thought it could cut costs by several dollars per ticket by bypassing the distribution networks. But Skeen said Wednesday that corporations and business travelers - the key demographic in many of its markets - still book flights traditionally.

Skeen acknowledged in a telephone interview Wednesday that the use of such distribution systems is a major strategy change, but said it was necessary "to help get our product on the shelf."

Skeen also said the airline was cutting capacity in underperforming markets, reducing daily departures from 16 to 10 in Newark, 16 to 12 in Boston, 17 to 13 at New York's JFK airport, and 14 to nine in Raleigh.

Again, the airline had initially touted its frequency of flights as a key to making its hub-and-spoke system work, by offering frequent connections and getting a better utilization rate out of its aircraft.

Skeen pointed out that the reductions are in the airline's larger markets, and said the company has been most successful in some of the smaller markets that have never had a low-fare airline, and that Independence Air is indeed generating additional demand in those markets with low prices.

Soaring fuel prices have exacerbated the airline's woes, as has competition from other airlines that have matched its fares.

In fact, other airlines have criticized Independence Air for recklessly implementing an unsustainable business plan that is hurting all airlines that operate on the East Coast, including bankrupt US Airways Group Inc.

AirTran Holdings Inc. chief executive Joe Leonard said Wednesday that Independence Air's pricing strategy cost Air Tran $5 million to $6 million in the third quarter because they were forced to match its prices.

"We do think Independence Air's strategy is not sustainable, so hopefully that will correct itself early next year," Leonard said. "To be flying an RJ (regional jet) at $59 fares I think is one of the silliest things I think I've ever seen. An RJ is a very high-cost airplane."

But Skeen said he is as confident in the airline's business plan as he was before the airline's launch. He noted that the airline has only been flying in half of its markets for only a few months.

"We are operating in a very difficult environment. Fuel costs and the overall industry outlook is a lot worse than when we announced our plan," Skeen said. "But in terms of our business plan, we're still very confident."

Still, the company's chief financial officer, Richard Surratt, acknowedged Wednesday that the airline would at least listen to proposals from traditional carriers who might seek FLYi as a regional partner, like its former relationship with United.

"If somebody did call, we would be remiss not to consider that," Surratt said.

In its conference call with analysts Wednesday, Independence Air declined to give analysts guidance on its cash projections for the coming months, saying the company was meeting with creditors to see if it can reduce upcoming payments, particularly as a large aircraft payment looms in January.

Skeen refused to speculate Wednesday on the possibility of bankruptcy.

"Our focus is working real hard on strengthening our liquidity, and hopefully we'll be able to do that" in the coming months, he said.

At least I can stop worrying now and begin to panic.

Do you fly a CRJ for USAir, Delta or United? I would rather fly for a Legacy that is CH 11 or losing 650 mils in a quarter....... ahahhaahahahahahahaha

i thought i read somewhere the business plan was based on worst case 30/barrel oil? If so, no wonder it needs an overhaul.

why not partner up with somebody like spirit? at least ch11 would give them relief from creditors and allow it time to try something else.

How much lower will they have to reduce fares to boost average load factor above 50%? I guess $58 isn't low enough... Difficult to spread costs over 50 seats on the CRJ in this low fare environment. Startin' to sound a lot like Midway's problems.

Wow. That's funny. No where did the article say anything about the two Airbus planes that start flying next month or the 25 Airbus planes that are on their way.

For some reason the assumption is that we are a sitting target only flying CRJ's until the end of the world.

They failed to mention that the press release from the company stated that we have jumped 7% in capacity in the first two weeks of Oct. The company has been in existence for three solid months.

Here - let's make an example that all pilots will understand. Let's say I decide to create a new line of condom's called Hercules brand. I sell it cheaper, have more colors and you can buy direct off the internet. OK, how many of you are going to switch? Still going to go buy the brand with the "other" warrior on it - aren't you?

So in both these industries based on phallus shaped objects, it takes time to create a brand name and attract customer loyalty.

Indy may die. By my view, on the East Coast, we are oversupplied by about 300-400 aircraft and about 4000-9000 pilots. We (Indy) only have 1600 pilots and 85 CRJ's (oh and two Airbi) - we don't solve everybody else's overcapacity problem. So we may be the ones to die but somebody else still has to go with us.

Airtran may throw rocks at us for introducing low fares on their market, but Indy had to enter the market with low fares to beat off bankrupt US Airways who found a novel way to offer low fares - just don't pay your bills.

We pilots are just whores hanging out on the street corner. Professionally we nod to the other whores - we are all going through the same thing. Under the surface, if we could just get one of the other whores to get run over by a Mack truck, we could make more money. I don't wish the other whores any ill will (per se), I just wish one or two of them would leave MY corner.

When I read these boards, I am completely reminded of the competitive nature of man and business. I've already been through a "Black Friday" (when everyone gets their pink slip) with another bankrupt company not in aviation. I already know what it feels like to wake up one morning and realize you don't have a job until you go shopping for another one. I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone.

Good luck to all of us - we're going to need it.

(PS. I hope I didn't offend any rules by introducing some humor to you guys - you can get way too serious and threatening on these boards.)

tarp said:
Wow. That's funny. No where did the article say anything about the two Airbus planes that start flying next month or the 25 Airbus planes that are on their way.
We can only hope that the busses start flying next month. Reliable sources indicate that the FAA put a hold on the proving runs due to MX issues. The only problem is that we sold seats on those aircraft starting next Tuesday.

We're in different economic times but consider the fact that Southwest didn't make a profit for 2 years after starting up. Look where they are now!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back