• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tough Times for Independence

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For the record... as a pilot near the bottom of the Indy list...a twenty-something prepared to give up flying should this endeavor fail...I would like to say that if it does fail, I have NO regrets nor do I blame out mgmt for the risk they have taken. It's been said before...I would rather lose my job as an Indy pilot, then be bent over JOs knee or ever be a part of anything JO or MESA. (Not directed towards the good MESA pilots) This sentiment is echoed in all Indy pilots.
The end.

DirkkDiggler said:
I disagree with you. Southwest "declared war" directly on American Airlines which had a virtual monopoly on all flying through Texas. There were countless legal battles, some of which still affect Southwest's ability to operate freely out of certain airports inside of Texas (Dallas Love Field especially). Southwest also had extremely low fares and went so far as to offer passengers 750ml bottles of booze with each ticket purchase in order to entice them away from American.
I think you mean Braniff and Trans-Texas, right?

aa73

No, I mean American and Frank Lorenzo. It's because of Lorenzo that Southwest has limits on where it can fly nonstop out of Dallas Love Field.

Always deferred said:
For the record... as a pilot near the bottom of the Indy list...a twenty-something prepared to give up flying should this endeavor fail...I would like to say that if it does fail, I have NO regrets nor do I blame out mgmt for the risk they have taken. It's been said before...I would rather lose my job as an Indy pilot, then be bent over JOs knee or ever be a part of anything JO or MESA. (Not directed towards the good MESA pilots) This sentiment is echoed in all Indy pilots.The end.
Well put. I've got nothing but respect for Indy guys. I'd rather work at Best Buy then work for Mesa. I've even got the letter to prove it......

jetdriven said:
Indy is done for. Writing on the wall.

Too high of a cost structure, not established in markets, decalring war on virtually ever other carrier, oil over 50$ a barrell.....

JO told us at Mesa if ACA didnt take our offer they were done for. Sadly, I think he called it.
Ya know, I agreed with you till the last sentance. Yeah time are really tough for us, if we could have predicted $50+ oil prices we should have invested there instead of an airline. Nevertheless, 99.9% of Indy pilots would rather go down with the ship than have worked along side the likes of JO's beatches.

Freebrd said:
Just four months after its launch, Independence Air is right up there with some of the largest U.S. carriers - in survival mode.

Dear ACA,

Thank you for furloughing me last year. Good luck with that new airline.

Billy

FLB717 said:
rptrain,
I've heard of both of them. However most people have not because they don't exist anymore. The idea is to be someone, someone knows of, and not someone no person has ever heard of. Anyone remember Air Florida? Look up the old routes they flew, it was real cool. Untill I did I had know idea they had 737 and DC10's. I would like to see Indy make a good future, but FBC was right in his view. You can't use an RJ as a lowcost aircraft with this climate. even thier own Bis Plan was for fuel at $30 a barrel. At this point in time I would not give anyone but SWA but a ok chance at keep a arm let alone a head in the market.
You think that maybe part of the reason these airlines aren't around anymore might have something to do with Southwest? Look, I'm not saying FLYi and SWA are two peas in a pod. But I'm also not making grossly inaccurate comparisons about their beginnings like your esteemed colleague did.

Frankly, I'm really disappointed in many of the reactions from pilots on this board. Of course, the response from some of the spineless MESA folks is predictable. They'd rather be proven "right" even if it means being JO's house bytch. However, hearing it from the AirTran guys is surprising. Do any of these sound familiar?

"They'll never survive against Delta in Atlanta."

"They're just the rebranded ValuJet."

It must be nice and comfortable to be at a place like the AirTran of today in these turbulent times. Sadly, we can't all be so lucky, but it sure is disappointing to see those who are lucky enough (and that's all it is, ace: luck) to be in a good spot take a dump on those who aren't. Especially when they crawled out of the exact same hole.

3 months do not indicate future performance. Give us all a chance, we still do not even have the 319's operating yet so how can people say the buisness plan does not work. Thats right, nobody hear has even read the buisness plan, the one stating RJ's feeding the 319's. But if the 319's are not operating as of today how can you make a judgemnet on the buisness plan??? YOU CANNOT!

Kerry Skeen has NEVER I repeat NEVER said that he could operate a LCC with RJ's only. He always said he needs the RJ's to feed the 319's and the combined product will compete as a LCC. I wish all the people would just engage the little brain and read the buisness plan before you open our mouths. It absoultly amazes me the mind numbing atmoshpere that is prevelent in this industry. I know this job takes away brain cells as it is repetitive but try to engage the remaining cells before you spout off.

BTW, last time I checked MESA is not a financially healthy company, look at your own balnace sheat before you pass judgments on others. For all the AT people bad mouthing us, just 3 short years ago you were hanging on by a thread, if not for Boeing giving you guys a sweet deal on the 717's you would all be out of a job. 9/11 helped you dramatically as it weakend DAL. If DAL files for BNK I see you guys in a whole lot of hurt as DAL will be able to pound you with a better product at a competitive price.

If, and I repeat if we go out I hope we cause enough harm throughout the industry to take down several other airlines along the way. I did not feel that way at first but now after seeing the hatered scattered throughout the industry we might as well go down and take others along with us. I pitty the soles in the AT behind me IAD, can you say GO AROUND!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back