• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tough Times for Independence

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The difference between SWA and Indi is that SWA didn't startup by declaring a war on all of its neighbors.

Indi took on USAir, Delta, United, SWA, and AirTran by undercutting even the lowest fares set by LCCs at a loss to themselves. This "we'll show them" type attitude might work for Delta, but not for an upstart with limited cash reserves.

Fly-By-Cable said:
The difference between SWA and Indi is that SWA didn't startup by declaring a war on all of its neighbors.

Indi took on USAir, Delta, United, SWA, and AirTran by undercutting even the lowest fares set by LCCs at a loss to themselves. This "we'll show them" type attitude might work for Delta, but not for an upstart with limited cash reserves.
I disagree with you. Southwest "declared war" directly on American Airlines which had a virtual monopoly on all flying through Texas. There were countless legal battles, some of which still affect Southwest's ability to operate freely out of certain airports inside of Texas (Dallas Love Field especially). Southwest also had extremely low fares and went so far as to offer passengers 750ml bottles of booze with each ticket purchase in order to entice them away from American.

Fly-By-Cable said:
Have you ever even heard of Braniff and Trans-Texas airlines, or are you really as young and ignorant as you seem?

TWheat61 said:
I'm sure glad I don't work for Indy Air!

Thank you. We are just as glad as you are (that you don't work for us).

May I ask why you feel this way? Did we do something to upset you?

w4mch said:
Thank you. We are just as glad as you are (that you don't work for us).

May I ask why you feel this way? Did we do something to upset you?
Seems bitter about something. I wonder if he got turned down for a job here a few years back.

Indy is done for. Writing on the wall.

Too high of a cost structure, not established in markets, decalring war on virtually ever other carrier, oil over 50$ a barrell.....

JO told us at Mesa if ACA didnt take our offer they were done for. Sadly, I think he called it.

Jo probably also told you that you would:

make money when you upgrade

not have to worry about that freedom certificate

have job security from expansion

be hated by every other pilot group

ruin the profession with your shi$$y contract and work rules.

make him rich

yeah, go get em mesa you tell us indy boys how we screwed up by not bending over for JO.

go F-yerself.

rptrain said:
Have you ever even heard of Braniff and Trans-Texas airlines, or are you really as young and ignorant as you seem?
Man, you Indi guys are some fighsy people. I'm sorry for being so young and ignorant, Sir. Truth is, I'm only eleventeen...I'm gonna go play with my pokemon now.

Last edited:
rptrain,
I've heard of both of them. However most people have not because they don't exist anymore. The idea is to be someone, someone knows of, and not someone no person has ever heard of. Anyone remember Air Florida? Look up the old routes they flew, it was real cool. Untill I did I had know idea they had 737 and DC10's. I would like to see Indy make a good future, but FBC was right in his view. You can't use an RJ as a lowcost aircraft with this climate. even thier own Bis Plan was for fuel at $30 a barrel. At this point in time I would not give anyone but SWA but a ok chance at keep a arm let alone a head in the market.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back