Touch-down vs communicating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

macdu

Is there a "rule" or "policy" on atc communications with aircraft landing and rolling out to refrain from trying to communicate until it is obvious the aircraft is at taxi speed or exiting the runway? If there is could I have the reference location. Thanks

Nope.

Shouldn't have to be. Should be common courtesy/common sense. Tower shouldn't be making any calls (that require a readback) to decelerating aircraft until that aircraft is at a safe taxi speed or has initiated exit.

I once had an 'eager-to-get-ahead-of-things' tower controller...late at night...initiate a set of long, complex taxi instructions almost immediately after touchdown in the CRJ. F/O was flying...i ignored the calls (which she repeated 3 times ..awaiting readback..during our rollout) and made my company REQUIRED (safety of flight) deceleration speed reference calls, assumed controls, then had the F/O readback the clearance. On the way in, I had the F/O get the tower tel # and called to chat with the lady. She seemed VERY apologetic and sort of 'forgot' that the landing/rollout is one of the most critical phases of flight. I also reminded her that we are still required to make call-outs to each other until nearing taxi speed.

Moral of the story-- from a pilots perspective...controllers can make all the calls they want during the rollout; and we will do our best to comply..just don't expect a verbal response until we are at a safe taxi speed.

I once had an 'eager-to-get-ahead-of-things' tower controller...late at night...initiate a set of long, complex taxi instructions almost immediately after touchdown in the CRJ. F/O was flying...i ignored the calls (which she repeated 3 times ..awaiting readback..during our rollout) and made my company REQUIRED (safety of flight) deceleration speed reference calls, assumed controls, then had the F/O readback the clearance. On the way in, I had the F/O get the tower tel # and called to chat with the lady. She seemed VERY apologetic and sort of 'forgot' that the landing/rollout is one of the most critical phases of flight. I also reminded her that we are still required to make call-outs to each other until nearing taxi speed.

Tower gave you "long, complex taxi instructions" 3 times during a landing roll out? How long did you roll that RJ out anyway?

I call shenanigans. I think maybe once you got a call earlier than you wanted and blew that up to this stupid story. Sorry, your story makes no sense. I'm all for the motto that the facts should never get in the way of a good story...but that's the point. It needs to be a good story. This one is obviously false.

I'm more annoyed when they try to chit chat when you go missed, tellin you about the weather, what its been doing, what it looks like out the window, blah blah...shut up I'm busy

Yep, nothing like being subject to a long speech about missed procedures including climbing 1000 ft abv published missed, complaining we didn't go up for a microsecond to 1000 ft abv missed mins and go back down when your at the fix - no other traffic and were already at the hold return fix.

We are freaking busy, flying the airplane, running checks, and setting up the Nav system to get us back down - all the while a controller is chatting us up/complaining we didn't do what he wanted for no reason.

Can't we all just get along!

To the tower crew in Albany awhile ago, I was pic in 750 flying right seat, bored, missed the landing clearance while going from approach to tower. Switching to ground realized never heard cleared to land. Thanks, it happens

from 7110 65

3-10-9. RUNWAY EXITING
a. Instruct aircraft where to turn‐off the runway
after landing, when appropriate, and advise the
aircraft to hold short of a runway or taxiway if
required for traffic.
PHRASEOLOGYTURN LEFT/RIGHT (taxiway/runway),
 or
IF ABLE, TURN LEFT/RIGHT (taxiway/runway)
and if required
HOLD SHORT OF (runway).
NOTE-Runway exiting or taxi instructions should not normally be
issued to an aircraft prior to, or immediately after,
touchdown.

Thanks. Is that from a FAA guide or ICAO? Never mind, found it. Thanks for the link. Now I can go armed with facts.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back