Total time/instrument ratio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"...but ya need to be in the clouds to be logging instrument time."

I disagree. There's no guarantee that the boundries of the layers above or below you are absolutely level and if you add in some visibilty restriction such as haze, night, or precip there is no way you can fly without relying on the instruments

My actual time is around 10% of my TT. I don't log actual unless I'm the PF. I know I can, but I choose not to.

Last edited:
Matt,

Instrument time is instrument time. The FAA doesn't care if it's "actual" or "simulated," and makes no differentiation between the two with respect to obtaining an certificate or rating, or recency of instrument experience (currency).

Weather you're in the cloud, flying under a hood or view limiting device, or skipping around in the dark over the ocean on a moonless night while it rains black ink, it's all instrument flight time.

Simulator time isn't flight time and should be left out of the equation.

mattpilot said:
So how does simulated Instrument factor into the 10% rule? Is it included or are you guys only talking about actual time ?

I got 200 hours & 5 actual + 33 simulated (hood) + (some simulator time, not relevant).

So do i have 2.5% or 19% ?
There should be two columns in your book for each type plus several "fill in" columns in case you feel inclined to do something like Tired Soul has done. If you meant "does my hood time count towards this magical %10", I believe the number most people are referring to is actual only. Again, this percentage is just a baseline. Some people may have much more or less. If you exceed %10 by a good bit, come employment time, some employers might be suspicious. If you fall short, your resume' may be tossed in the circular file due to lack of experience or failing to meet insurance requirements.

Uncle Sparky said:
If you meant "does my hood time count towards this magical %10", I believe the number most people are referring to is actual only.
That was the question. Thanks. I understand the entire concept - i just wasn't sure if you all counted hood time in your calculations or not :).

"Hood" time counts. It's all instrument time. Refer to my previous post. There is no difference between "actual" or "simulated" instrument flight time, and the FAA doesn't make the distinction for the purposes of recency of experience or experience toward any certificate or rating.

ya i know that - The question arose because i doubt you folks flying 121/135 put on your hood and let the pilot-not-flying be the safety pilot. Therefore all your 'recent' instrument experience would of been actual time. So i was wondering if you guys with 1000+ hours included the hood time you gained during training in your calculations.

avbug said:
"Hood" time counts. It's all instrument time. Refer to my previous post. There is no difference between "actual" or "simulated" instrument flight time, and the FAA doesn't make the distinction for the purposes of recency of experience or experience toward any certificate or rating.

I have a little under 13% of my TT as actual. That number about 20% years ago when flying single pilot night freight(with no autopilot) throughout the midwest and east coast in a turboprop. About FL210 was as high as I ever went(beyond that the cabin was getting pretty high), and there were many nights I spent 4 hours IMC out of a 4.5hr block time. It's been going down steadily ever since I started flying jets 6 years ago.

Nobody freakin' cares what your instrument time is once you get your first 135/121 job. You people are putting way to much time and energy into this. I remember when Eagle put the 10% on the application and it was nothing more than another descrimator for the day. Sure, I would not hire a guy who has been doing ditch tours and has no instument skills but I have never had the question of how much instrument time come up during an interview and the only instrument time I care about is enought to stay legal.

I've worked for a number of certificate holders, and every one has cared about my experience. Perhaps you simply work for employers who lack the rats posterior to give. Even certain government contracts that have no IFR flying in them have taken a hard look at my instrument time, to say nothing of every FAA certificate holder. I wouldn't exactly say nobody cares.

avbug said:
I've worked for a number of certificate holders, and every one has cared about my experience. Perhaps you simply work for employers who lack the rats posterior to give. Even certain government contracts that have no IFR flying in them have taken a hard look at my instrument time, to say nothing of every FAA certificate holder. I wouldn't exactly say nobody cares.
Re-read the above post

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back