tOP 5 rEGIONALS TO WORK FOR ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Remember the B-scale??....

Pay for the majors back in the late 80's was pitiful.
Piedmont (not the commuter) was less than $1000 per month for the new hire, Granted that was plumbing on the 727.

"Paying your dues" begging for the right seat in a 441, ya right
With your TT and "dues paid" UAL should put you in the LEFT seat of 777.

Top regionals

My comments are based on what were the top regionals from my time of ten years ago. Things change, but based on what I've read since joining the board the summer before last, things haven't changed that much.

I'll mention some of the regionals that were popular during my era.

Horizon.

WestAir/United Express - quite popular.

SkyWest.

Comair.

Air Wisc.

Eagle and its subsidiaries, i.e. Wings West, Simmons, etc.

ASA.

Note that some of the ones that were popular back then are still popular.

Now, among my group, Mesa was popular. Mesa picked up quite a few of our instructors. I think it had more to do with our part of the country and because Mesa was hiring a lot of ERAU grads. Having said that and after working at MAPD for a short stint, I would say, Mesa, in the top five? You must be kidding......

Of course, the Gulfstream comment is intended as a joke (?).

Congratulations, because you must be flying with the highest-paid Conquest pilot in the country!

Sounds to me, though, like you're dumping the lav and loading the bags for the Highest Paid Conquest Pilot in the Country, which explains a lot about why you are frequenting a Regional Pilot message board, looking for some way to feel better about yourself.

One thing you might want to be concerned with, though- You're riding in an airplane, as far as the FAA is concerned, unless you are on a 135 certificate. What's that, you say? You're trading legs with the Highest Paid Conquest Pilot in the Country, and therefore logging your time under part 91? Hope you're filing your own flight plans and that you got a high-altitude endorsement- that way, you can at least log half of it.

You don't seem to know too much about airline pay, though. It's extremely rare to get paid guarantee- think training, or reserve. Most pilots are paid much more than that.

Block time is what you fly (door closed to door open) but credit time is what you get paid for- which, in my case, comes out to over 1000 hrs per year, and my per diem averages over $400./month on top of that.

Hey, have fun in that 441. And tell the highest-paid Conquest pilot that we all said "Hi", will ya?

Last edited:
My Top 5

My top 5 picks in a good economy:

#1. Comair
#2. Continental Express
#3. Atlantic Southeast Airlines
#4. Atlantic Coast Airlines
#5. Skywest

My top 5 picks in today's economy:
#1. Anyone who will hire me
#2. Anyone who will hire me
#3. Anyone who will hire me
#4. Anyone who will hire me
#5. Anyone who will hire me

"How about crummy pay, poor work rules, poor management, crummy bases..........."

Since you do not list the 1900 as an airplane you have flown, I will assume you have never worked for CommutAir.

We have the highest guarenteed pay for any 1900 operator. We are guarenteed 12 days off PER BID, which averages 13 days per month. We get $1.25 per diem from report to release for every trip (there are at least a few which only pay you for over nights). Two hour call outs for reserve. Company pays for family medical insurance, no cost to us, which is worth a couple of thousand dollars per year.

We have management that takes our opinions into consideration. For example the recent deletion of the four day trips because almost nobody liked them and they were hard to commute for.

Albany and Rochester are far from terrible bases, both are decent sized cities and are an easy commute for most of us. Plattsburgh is very senior and very small. Most based there live there and want that base. Most 1900 operators base you at out stations in EAS cities and give you only 9-10 days off per month.

MX is also outstanding here as well. It is very rare to fly with a even one MEL. The last time I had an MEL was three months ago and we had it for one leg, it was fixed right away.

I have been with another BE-1900 operator, one that was an ALPA airline. And I have shared a crashpad with guys from other 1900 operators. There is a night and day difference between us and them. The ALPA airline pay/compensation, work rules and quality of equipment could not tough what we have here. This is not a bash at ALPA, it just shows that we have it relatively good here.

Please be more informed next time you choose to bash an airline. We may only fly the lowly BE-1900, but we are not in the category of other 1900 operators. And most guys here would agree.

Well everyonedoa360 let's see with your profile. You claim to have 10K+ hours. Yet you are still at a regional and not flying a jet. How are those turboprops. Why aren't you in a left seat of a 777? So you are one of those that are stuck at the regional level because of your age? Still flying turbprops. Are you still paying your dues?

Tywebb- yes I have a 135 letter and a high altitude endorsement. We do swap legs and no I don't empty any crappers. I know enough about airline pay that is sucks to start. So while you are living in a box or with mommy and daddy for the first 3 or 4 years at the regional. Then maybe after that you can actually buy a car to sleep in. Becasue there is no way that you can afford to rent or buy any kind of housing on this salary. Unless you have someone footing your bills.

I am not all about pay. I just want to be able to live on what I am getting paid. It's a disgrace that the flunky behind the counter at McDonalds is making more than 1st or 2nd year at a regional.

Someone's emptying the crapper

Spoken like a true idiot. Someone's emptying the crapper, and it sure isn't the "Highest-paid Conquest Captain" either.

I'll let a regional guy correct you on the pay thing, but it isn't as bad as you make it out to be. I was lucky enough to be hired at a National, but they wouldn't have hired me out of a single-pilot airplane, which is what you are flying.

I did take a $20K pay cut my first year going from Westwind Captain to B717 FO, but second year pay will be in the mid $50's, and by Captain upgrade, I'll be over 6 figures, while you're still holding down the couch in the FBO.

Life is about choices. Obviously, you are trying to convince yourself you made the right one, otherwise you wouldn't be on this board. If you are truly happy with your choice, then go away, you won;t be missed here.

Last edited:
DEP 676--

You sound like a guy I know. Cocky, arrogant, tells everyone that he's flying "corporate" -- but sure seems to spend a lot of time in his dads Cheorkee 140. . . Its obvious that you enjoy flying two pilot ops in an airplane certified single pilot. Fine. But guess what. . . nobody cares! Good luck with your career, and if you can upgrade in the Cheyanne and make six figures like you say you can, go for it! In the mean time, flying left seat in a 777 is not everyones priority. If that's what you want, and you can get there from where you are now, great! But be careful putting down a fellow aviator for flying a turboprop even though he has over 10,000 hours. You'd probably be wise to sit back and try and LEARN from him, and RESPECT him. I'm sure he has paid his dues, and is happy where he is now. Dude, get some self-esteem, do what you do, and don't worry about everyone else.

Well I just turned his remarks and put downs toward me back to him. If you or him can't handle that you need to get thicker skin. I call them as I see them.

My daddy didn't foot any of my bill for my career in aviation. I payed the whole thing myself.

Latest resources

Back