• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Top 10 List

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
also, when guys check on and don't restate instructions they've received from a previous controller.

if you've had a speed assigned for the past 100 miles, ok, you don't have to say it per se, but if a controller gave you a heading or turn and then shipped you, make sure to tell the next guy you check on with because it'll save him from having to ask if you're in the turn.

lately I've also heard a lot of pilot/co-pilot dual replies on the frequency, both will answer, one right after the other, readback the same clearance and answer the same call sign...what about a little CRM and paying attention to what the guy to our right or left is doing and not giving atc a readback in stereo!

also, when guys check on and don't restate instructions they've received from a previous controller.

if you've had a speed assigned for the past 100 miles, ok, you don't have to say it per se, but if a controller gave you a heading or turn and then shipped you, make sure to tell the next guy you check on with because it'll save him from having to ask if you're in the turn.

lately I've also heard a lot of pilot/co-pilot dual replies on the frequency, both will answer, one right after the other, readback the same clearance and answer the same call sign...what about a little CRM and paying attention to what the guy to our right or left is doing and not giving atc a readback in stereo!

I always tell them my previously assigned instructions. I have found more times then not if I was given a speed 100 miles before getting switched, the next controller will give me normal speed.

As a pilot, I grit my teeth when I hear the f/o check in with "fourteen thousand" or "twenty-three thousand." I wonder to myself if they ever read the AIM or got adequate instruction.

Mexico

I'm sure there are a thousand Mexico stories out there. A couple of things I've noticed and can't stand in Mexico are
1) Whenever transmissions are blocked in busy airspace, it's the Mexican pilots who immediately chime in (usually all together) to check in or ask a question making the problem worse. While in the US, when there are multiple transmissions, we shut up and wait for the controller to talk and sort out the confusion. Why can't the Mexicans see this as counter-productive?

2) You can never get an "expect FLxxx" from Mexican controllers. "Maintain xxx until further advised" is the norm down there. The problem occurs when the rain I'm flying through craps out my radios and I can't hear the hand off or next climb instruction to get out of the soup. Makes me nervous. Ground based wx radar would be nice.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just had to vent. Seems you get second rate service if you don't speak Spanish. Practically NEVER do I have an issue with US controllers.

Can I get a Hell Yeah?!

Last edited:
Um, hell yeah.

1. Pilots stepping on each other
2. Improper read back instruction, Ex. Hold Short Rwy 24 at G read back hold short 24.
3. ayyyy's during read backs. Ex. ayyyy this is XHUEW ayyy request ayyyyyy ifr clearance ayyyyyy

Well, sometimes sepping on each other just happens. Now if they come on freq and just start talking, well, that's another matter. And I have actually done the thing where the Capt and FO both answer. It's not a CRM thing, it's usually the case where one of them was off frequency, he heard you call and then answered, right after the other one answered. It happens because you have no time to ask the other guy if he answered, since you are trying to answer too.

My favorite is when a pilot asks for his clearance by saying, Cessna 123X, instruments to Louisville. Doesn't the controller know what flight plans are IFR? That seems pretty silly to me. I occasionally hear airlines saying that, too. Don't they always go IFR?

I have a question for our ORD controller...

A. I love you guys...

Is the "double back" term in the AIM anywhere? I honestly believe the only place I hear it is ORD ground control. I'm not dogging you guys, I have heard some taxi furballs where its take a breath, issue 4 or 5 clearances, then take another breath. You guys seriously are THE shiznits.

Then Mexicana lands and has less than no clue. I once heard an ORD G/C say "everyone stop - we have Mexicana on the freq!"

I jumpseat/commute out of ORD all the time, and the taxi clearance is always "this double back taxi xxx" and so on, and I was just curious.

What about "Pos and hold" don't be lazy and just say the whole word!

I hate it when the radio call starts with, "Aaannnnnnddddd". Had a student start this several years ago. I'd slap his shoulder every time he did that. Didn't take long to break that habit. He's an airline pilot now--hope he gets a chuckle everytime he hears, "AAAAAnnnnnnndddddd Delta's 1234 is with you FL340."

Latest resources

Back