• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Too much fuel?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AirTran has been doing this for a few years. I agree that it is more expensive in the long run to tanker gas than to deal with the occasional diversion.

"No, that's not going to happen," saidUS Airways Capt. James Ray, who is also a spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Association, the largest pilots union in the U.S. "But it is an inconvenience if a flight is diverted."

Huh? How can a USAPA pilot be a spokesman for ALPA?

I seem to recall an AA captain coming up with more ways to reduce the planes weight, like chaffing the mags, stuff like that. Wonder if this is one of his babies.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/ct-biz-0627-pilots-fuel-20100626,0,2516875,full.story

There is nothing unsafe about being efficient. Landing with an hour and a half of gas remaining is a waste, especially when it's severe clear or at an outstation. Those who claim otherwise simply choose to ignorantly overlook the negative consequences of not caring about efficiency.

There is nothing unsafe about being efficient. Landing with an hour and a half of gas remaining is a waste, especially when it's severe clear or at an outstation. Those who claim otherwise simply choose to ignorantly overlook the negative consequences of not caring about efficiency.

Depends where you fly bro!

So it's Ok to have the low fuel lights come on on every leg, requiring a trip into the QRH?
Does 45 minutes of fuel uncover the hydraulic fluid cooling in the main tanks?

Just some more muck to throw into the decison making process ;)

We have a guy at WN that I call "Mr. 5.0" because you'll either land at the destination on the very first try with 5,000 lbs. of fuel or you'll have to divert IMMEDIATELY and arrive at the alternate with 5,000 lbs. of fuel - or less.

In his world there is no holding, no delay vectors, no EDCT's and you always climb unrestricted to your filed altitude.

Works....... almost all of the time - until it doesn't.

Gup

he cited two recent cases involving pilots flying for regional airlines — american eagle airlines and trans states airlines — who taxied their planes from the gate to runways with only one engine activated — a common fuel-conservation initiative practiced by most airlines. But the commuter pilots, who typically had less flight experience than their counterparts at major airlines, forgot to start the second engine before takeoff. The pilots aborted the takeoffs when cockpit warning systems notified them of a problem and the planes exited the runways without flying, according to faa investigations.

wtf??

I don't get it. My company instituted this three years ago. I pretty much order flight plan fuel every time. If I make my redispatch fine, if I make my destination fine. If things look bad I divert. Not my problem. I've diverted twice due to bad enroute wx forcing a longer route. I thought it would be a huge hassle, CP just shrugged it off. He said the bean counters analyzed that there was an acceptable number of diversions per year that were far over weighed by the savings. My policy is to make darn sure the regs are complied with and operate the a/c safely and prudently. Not my job to save or make money for my company. This isn't the military where someones life may depend on you completing your mission.

"Reserve fuel should not be touched," he said. "It is there for reserve."

Huh?

Latest resources

Back