Too good to be true?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Practicing law v. Flying

It isn't that bad, but it certainly isn't flying.

There are some extremely interesting (to me) areas of law where you really can help people and perform a public service. For example, Workers' Comp law. Workers' Compensation is a very difficult system through which to navigate. Trying to obtain justice through W.C. is something like preparing your own tax return.

Employment law is another good area. People are hosed by employers all the time, from not getting unemployment benefits because the employer lied about why the worker was terminated to retaliatory discharge to slander during reference checks.

Don't forget about aviation law. Having a good aviation attorney available is nice when the FAA approaches you, tells you it's here to help you, and demands to see your logbook.

P.I. law has its rewards in terms of public service. Our firm had a case where a well-known insurance company belittled our client's claim of permanent injuries after her auto accident. We took it to court and got her justice, in terms of a $1.5 meg judgment. This case was unusual; most of our cases are very small in comparison. But, you need the muscle of an attorney, to get insurance companies to deal with you fairly in this day and age.

Just the same, it certainly isn't flying.

Lawers

What's brown and black and looks good on a lawer?

Ans: A doberman pinscher.

I know, I know...there's a million lawer jokes out there. I just couldn't resist. Cheers.

TXflyer said:
Yeah "funny"...you know what else is "funny"? Making $125000 a year at age 26 and buying my own plane while you cash in your food stamps.

You know what else is funny? YOU. Grow up. Take some of the imaginary $$$ and go buy yourself some maturity. With an attitude like your's, we'll see you and your twin Cessna on the next A&E special.

CaptBuzzard,

Sorry to hear about your new "job" offer. Changing jobs in this industry is a gamble, particularly when you're in the early stages of your career. I've never been involved in any other industry where H.R. promises so much during the interview, then delivers so little after you've committed.

Although I don't know the details of your present situation, I would suggest holding out a bit for something better. After making every sacrifice you can justify (giving up cable t.v., resigning yourself to eat biscuits and ramen noodles for another year, living with three or four other people in a crashpad, etc.) you should still expect to earn enough to pay your bills. Notice I didn't add your marriage to the list of things to sacrifice.

It appears some segments of the industry, particularly the regionals, are starting to experience some growth again. This will help to open up a few more 135 jobs and decrease the leverage management has over pilot wages/quality of life issues a little. It's unfortunate some managers don't understand or care that if they expect you to be on call 24/7, you have to earn enough to live on.

Have you considered talking to your potential employer and explaining your situation? Tell them what you need from them in order to accept the position. Consider volunteering to help out in other areas of the company (working line service, helping the maintenance dept., washing airplanes, etc) to make up the difference in salary until you're able to get a better schedule.

Make certain every time you get in the airplane you find ways to "earn" your salary. Single-pilot IFR operations, particularly scheduled freight, present many opportunities for a good pilot to (safely and legally) shave a few minutes here and there from each flight. Document these opportunities and share your accomplishments with management. You'll be on your way to more flying quickly if you can operate more efficiently than someone else. Don't be like some pilots I've worked with who'd regularly fly instrument approaches in VFR conditions for no reason other than to "pad" their logbooks.

Remember that sometimes the best move is no move.

Best Wishes

Paralegal work

I think it depends on the office. Where I am now, I prepare a lot of forms and materials. I spend a lot of time managing deadlines, filing, reviewing and analyzing medical records and writing demand letters to insurance companies. I do all my own support work. Of course, my attorney reviews all my work and revises as necessary. I draft a few pleadings for the court from time to time, all of which, of course, are reviewed before filing. He spends a great deal of time seeing clients, negotiating, strategizing and working up more complex materials. I spend a great deal of time scheduling various events, such as conferences, trials and hearings. That can be a real pain in the a$$, sometimes, trying to get several attorneys' calendars to conform. I cannot give legal advice. For trials, my attorney prefers to do most of the trial prep, including scheduling testimony and lining up experts; not that he doesn't think I can't do it but because it helps him bone up on every little fact; and, if something is missed, it's on him and not me. I am paid fairly where I work now according to the market and my experience, but it is not what the attorneys make.

In my last office, I was indeed doing the bulk of the work. Mostly, the main shareholder saw clients and approved work. I spent a lot of time dealing with clients and nearly all of the written product. Also, getting clients to replenish their retainers, i.e. collecting bills, which, I believe, violates the ethical rules. I did a lot of work that she said was first-year associate work. A lot of that work was extremely difficult and, I am sure, would have been easier had I been a lawyer. I can assure you that I wasn't paid first-year associate's wages at that firm. :rolleyes:

It depends on the office. Some paralegals do attorneys' work. Others are nothing more than glorified secretaries.

Last edited:
Bobby,

I should have made it clear that my prior comment was not directed at you, lest you think it was. It was more at those who think money will buy them satisfaction in life. It doesn't.

"Yeah "funny"...you know what else is "funny"? Making $125000 a year at age 26 and buying my own plane while you cash in your food stamps."

Yea but, you're still a lawyer and I can always get a better job

;)

Captbuzzard,

I'll second staying with what you have. Does your ramp job provide medical for you and your family also? That's a BIG consideration. More than likely, what's to happen is you'll hang out 90% percent of the time making someone else happy that you are there to back up any unforseen interruptions in the schedule. In the mean time, you're getting paid squat and maybe logging 20 hrs a month. I've heard too many of my buddies complaining that are in the exact same spot. Just my opinion.

TXflyer said:
Yes the claimed 8000 hours is obviously BS, I was just kiddin when I wrote that...I voluntarily washed out of 737 school to go to law school and am now making more money that I know what to do with. Buying my own plane next month, a twin Cessna.

I think everything you say is BS. I think you're just some 14 yr-old kid playing on the computer before the good cartoons come on. At least that's how your posts sound. Like others have suggested..get some maturity. Until then, go bother someone else. You have nothing to contribute to this board.

Buzzard,

Are you talking about a job with Airnet? If so then they will pay you full salary to sit on reserve. If not I would still take the job and flight instruct on the side as much as possible. If you want to be a pilot then be a pilot. If you want to be a ground guy then be a ground guy. Being married myself I know that isnt always that simple but you want to position yourself for the next wave in hiring.

What do you call 1000 dead lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start!!!

Latest resources

Back