• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tonight: airline executives sky-high compensation on PBS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sawmill, what do you say to a guy who is 55 years with a mortage and a couple of kids in highschool? Go start a pressure washing business and be your own boss?

Sawmill:

I think the reason for pilots' concerns are that they have everything tied up in seniority and longevity. Pilots dream of retiring from their jobs.

Some managers recently have taken a much shorter term view. It mantra seems to be "get in, get yours and get out" before it collapses. Smash and grab management does rob employees of the sweat equity they have in their professions.

Of the legacy carriers, Delta's current management has avoided pillage and has been rewarded with the highest overall morale in their peer group. Delta's better performance numbers seem to reflect that value. Lets hope it translates into profits this next quarter.

Last edited:
Sawmill--Great that you got out and got something better. Most of us here WANT to fly (not want to AVOID flying like managment) AND we want to improve our working conditions.

I don't believe it's an "either/or" situation. TC

Agreed!!

agree 100%. the govt has no desire, but it is a problem forcing our hand today. RLA reform should be at the top of everyone's list.

RLA reform? Then that means ALPA-PAC contributions!

RLA reform? Then that means ALPA-PAC contributions!

no it doesn't. i also believe that all soft money should disappear from out of our legislative process. i would donate to specific congressmen who espouse an agenda of RLA reform.

Ummm, correct me if im wrong but if you are a pilot and want to make more money, quit being a pilot and go work for management...or somewhere else that pays higher. And if you are management, and want to make less money, but have more freedom from behind the desk, then quit and go be a pilot, or some other job that pays less.
But what do I know, I only lasted as a low-life regional pilot for 6 months before I quit the circus and decided to make more money then most mainline pilots. (Oh, and I spend about 4 hours a week behind a desk)
Its just my .02 that everyone needs to take responsibility for themselves...unless you are incapable...but then again, its easier to btich.

Sounds like you are pitching a MLM campaign. What do you do sell, Mary Kay?:laugh:

Sawmill--Great that you got out and got something better. Most of us here WANT to fly (not want to AVOID flying like managment) AND we want to improve our working conditions.

I don't believe it's an "either/or" situation. TC

I support all you guys who are trying to improve your working conditions...I saw it first hand also. But b1cthin on a website will do absolutely nothing. But why do you want to improve the working conditions? To have a better QOL? Well, being an employee of an airline will never give you a stable, good QOL. Just ask all the Delta pilots about all the concessions they have given up over the past 5 years. Work 30-40 years expecting a pension and now look what they have. And for the record, I want to fly...which is why I quit. Flying a cherokee (or bonanza soon) is a whole lot more like flying than the button pushing I was doing...that is just my opinion. Not meant to be a cut on airline pilots.

Sounds like you are pitching a MLM campaign. What do you do sell, Mary Kay?:laugh:

Nope...but that is funny. Last deal: Bought house for 113K, put in $65, sold for $247K. Do that 3 or 4 times a year easily. I try to work only M-Th...dosent always happen though. Take one week vacation per qtr also. (Last week, some nice US Airways pilots flew me to FL...thanks guys)

By the way, whats wrong with selling Mary Kay?

Last edited:
Sawmill, what do you say to a guy who is 55 years with a mortage and a couple of kids in highschool? Go start a pressure washing business and be your own boss?

ABSOLUTLY! Or a painting business...or a Handyman business...or a Home cleaning business...etc. Ive started 3 businesses. The first was the scariest. Only one failed...my fault totally. Learning experience and moved on. (By the way, my first airline job was at age 41)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back