• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To those pilots who own a house

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Obama isn't the one paying you and why the crap would you buy something that costs 1700 dollars a month which requires you to fly 90 hours a month?

You absolutely deserve whatever comes when making financial decisions like that...

If a pilot were to live within their means, they shouldn't ever buy a house- the industry is just too shaky, and too unstable.............everyone's neck is on the chopping block at some point in time.Way to go off the deep end. You can't alway get the house you want. Just because some bank says you can afford it, doesn't mean you can. However, keeping expectations reasonable in case you find yourself back in the right seat(or worse) is the responsible thing to do.

Here's a thought for the tools that think they are paying for someone other pilot's mortgage- maybe they are collecting what they've paid in, through taxes, themselves. I've paid enough tax that when it's time to dip into the pot, I'm gonna do it. I paid for it, so I'm gettin' my money's worth- especially since I've worked for it to collect it, where as some clown is getting it from laying on her back makin' babies..........

By the number of "I"'s in your post it's clear, you just don't get it. How much of your tax money, over the years, are you claiming you deserve back? I want a refund because there's a pot hole in my street, after all I paid for a nice street, right? If you find yourself in this situation, will your tax entitlement take the place of your unemployment check?

Last edited:
By the number of "I"'s in your post it's clear, you just don't get it. How much of your tax money, over the years, are you claiming you deserve back? I want a refund because there's a pot hole in my street, after all I paid for a nice street, right? If you find yourself in this situation, will your tax entitlement take the place of your unemployment check?

Enough to get back on my feet, and become productive again. Do you honestly think you are going to go through your airline career without any sort of setbacks? I'd suggest prepping for the worst, but continuing to hope for the best. In regard to affording a house as a first officer- what sort of house are you going to set yourself up with while making 27k per year? I'd be willing to bet it isn't going to be one your wife will continue to live in with you...........

Hey, it's a government program that is out there. Either you take advantage of it, or someone that doesn't deserve it will, that's all that I am saying.......

Enough to get back on my feet, and become productive again. Do you honestly think you are going to go through your airline career without any sort of setbacks? I'd suggest prepping for the worst, but continuing to hope for the best. In regard to affording a house as a first officer- what sort of house are you going to set yourself up with while making 27k per year? I'd be willing to bet it isn't going to be one your wife will continue to live in with you...........

Hey, it's a government program that is out there. Either you take advantage of it, or someone that doesn't deserve it will, that's all that I am saying.......Someone who doesn't deserve it will STILL be taking advantage of it. Great way to put a financial burden on the program, especially when the gov't decides to cut it. Then what?

You did read my original post about being furloughed after 9/11, right? Even so, I NEVER missed a mortgage payment or any other payment. When I went to a Legacy, I took a 30k per year pay cut, yet I had no problems paying my debts. Now, I'm making more than ever, yet still live well within my means. SAVING MONEY is how I prepare for the worst.

A house on 27k/year? Yep, I did it. If your wife doesn't like it then tell her to get a job. Hopefully couples can make at least 40 to 50k, enough to buy a modest starter home(they're called starter homes for a reason). BTW, with the crappy housing market a little research can find you a very nice house that's affordable, if you're willing to do some work to find it(and maybe fix it too). There is no reason to buy an unaffordable house!

My problem is with the original post. This guy will be saving $855/month for 60 months. That's $51,300! Do you think if his income is restored he'll call the bank and say, "I want to pay my full monthly payment now"? I doubt it, although I bet he'll SAY otherwise. Does the bank require any type of periodic income verification and credit check to show you still need a reduced payment?

I'm all for helping someone when they're down, until the system is abused.

Last edited:
In the time you spent ranting your self righteous BS you could of written to you local state representative. To the guy who posted this thank you. Thank you for trying to help your fellow pilots. This is a legal got approved method to help families in need. Yes there will always be people who abuse the system. That does not justify screwing people who truly need help. You people make me sick.
PS I'm a capt but my house is budgeted of 75 hours of FO pay.

You did read my original post about being furloughed after 9/11, right? Even so, I NEVER missed a mortgage payment or any other payment. When I went to a Legacy, I took a 30k per year pay cut, yet I had no problems paying my debts. Now, I'm making more than ever, yet still live well within my means. SAVING MONEY is how I prepare for the worst.

A house on 27k/year? Yep, I did it. If your wife doesn't like it then tell her to get a job. Hopefully couples can make at least 40 to 50k, enough to buy a modest starter home(they're called starter homes for a reason). BTW, with the crappy housing market a little research can find you a very nice house that's affordable, if you're willing to do some work to find it(and maybe fix it too). There is no reason to buy an unaffordable house!

My problem is with the original post. This guy will be saving $855/month for 60 months. That's $51,300! Do you think if his income is restored he'll call the bank and say, "I want to pay my full monthly payment now"? I doubt it, although I bet he'll SAY otherwise. Does the bank require any type of periodic income verification and credit check to show you still need a reduced payment?

I'm all for helping someone when they're down, until the system is abused.

All about helping someone when they're down- who you kiddin'???? Typical "Me,me,me,me"........Your way is always the right way, correct? Also, you're so quick to jump the gun it's rediculous- automatically ASSuming I'm in the "bought more than I can afford" catergory. If you tell me you didn't receive any help after your furlough in the form of COBRA payments by alpa, or unemployment, I call your bluff. As for the tax argument- you ever cheat on your taxes or stretch the truth about it???? Uh, huh............ How bout letting those that are affected by economic situations beyond their control that genuinely need help utilize the information at hand, and keep your finger out of their face with a moral lecture on something you know nothing about- somone else's personal financial life/burden/situation.

All about helping someone when they're down- who you kiddin'???? Typical "Me,me,me,me"........Your way is always the right way, correct? Also, you're so quick to jump the gun it's rediculous- automatically ASSuming I'm in the "bought more than I can afford" catergory. If you tell me you didn't receive any help after your furlough in the form of COBRA payments by alpa, or unemployment, I call your bluff. As for the tax argument- you ever cheat on your taxes or stretch the truth about it???? Uh, huh............ How bout letting those that are affected by economic situations beyond their control that genuinely need help utilize the information at hand, and keep your finger out of their face with a moral lecture on something you know nothing about- somone else's personal financial life/burden/situation.

That's funny, Where did I ASSume you were in this situation...As I recall I said "if you find yourself in this situation" which is a direct quote from my post.

Show me how this was "typical me,me,me" just because because I live within my means and don't think responsible people should pay for those who live above theirs?

As for unemployment while furloughed...you bet, all $850(gross) for the 4 months I needed it. Not nearly enough to pay my mortgage and utilities. As you claim, something in order to get over the hump while I looked for a job.

As to your other suggestion about tax cheating...never do my own taxes. I pay a professional to know the laws and follow them, however it is my responsibility to check his work before I sign the return.

About your claim of people who actually need help because of situations beyond their control...I guess you misread my last several posts, because that's what I think these programs are for. They are NOT for people who bought a house they could never afford based off earnings that could easily change.

I'm sorry, but your last sentence is about as righteous as they come. According to HIS post, the original poster is NOT in this situation. He got in over his head and now wants the bank to get him out. Worse yet, he is suggesting others follow his lead. I don't claim to know about his(or others) personal situation except for what they post. I'm not wagging my finger in their face, just posting MY OPINION about the info THEY divulged. I have every right to do that, since this type of accepted behavior seems to be the normal attitude these days. The people that are hurt are those who PAY their own bills, don't look for a handout due to irresponsibility(you seem to confuse irresponsibility with unfortunate life circumstances) and speak up about abusing the system.

Last edited:
In the time you spent ranting your self righteous BS you could of written to you local state representative. To the guy who posted this thank you. Thank you for trying to help your fellow pilots. This is a legal got approved method to help families in need. Yes there will always be people who abuse the system. That does not justify screwing people who truly need help. You people make me sick.
PS I'm a capt but my house is budgeted of 75 hours of FO pay.

Self righteous BS? If that's what you think about OTHERS being responsible, then so be it. Again...The bold above is exactly what I want. Help people who TRUELY NEED HELP, not those who got in over their head and now look for a handout. As for writing Congressmen...I absolutely did write them about mortgages bailouts. This original post is exactly the same situation. I live in a part of the country that has one of the highest forclosure rates in the U.S., DAMN right I wrote to our fearless leaders about it!

Latest resources

Back