Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To the Skywest Crew with "Severe Icing" in DEN today...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad ice.... so what be safe and over block then cold and six feet under. Man some people think the world just revolves around them and managment. Go hold you wuss and wait it out for a bit.

Ha ha....the old Monday morning quarterbacks. If the crew crashed, some of you would be all over them for being "inexperienced" and not being able to recognize severe icing yada yada yada. All of you guys criticizing the crew for erring on the side of caution should be in airline managment.

The name calling and management comments are a great addition to this debate. Keep it up.

Again, perhaps those who were actually there and experienced the conditions in question can offer more to the discussion.

If I encountered severe, maybe I'd consider immediately turning around/climb/descend/declare emergency if necessary.

I don't know the SKW details, but did they just continue and land? Oh yeah, by the way we have severe ice.

The layer is only a couple thousand feet thick. Maybe some common sense would help.

Only my opinions, I wasn't in their cockpit, but I did fly around in that stuff all day...

If I encountered severe, maybe I'd consider immediately turning around/climb/descend/declare emergency if necessary.

I don't know the SKW details, but did they just continue and land? Oh yeah, by the way we have severe ice.

Hmm, meatwallet, I guess I don't understand. Wouldn't following the ILS and landing constitute descending? Your statements are contradictory.

In my opinion, though the SKW flight may have encountered some severe icing, the report was unnecessary and created excessive delays...

...If I encountered severe, maybe I'd consider immediately turning around/climb/descend/declare emergency if necessary.

I'm not following you meatwallet. First you say the report was unnecessary then you say that you would declare an emergency...go figure.

Last edited:
Icing can be very localized, and I did not personally experience anything severe (nor have I ever in my career).

In my opinion, though the SKW flight may have encountered some severe icing, the report was unnecessary and created excessive delays. No one cares about the cost of fuel here, but I do not enjoy holding and using up my extra fuel when I don't have to.

What is severe icing on a hot wing anyway (I only have flown with boots)? I would guess anything that adheres to it since the "anti-ice equipment cannot eliminate the icing risk."

Yes, who made this famous quote which is so true: "ICE is where you find it."?

Do you realize what you've written sir? 'They may have been in severe icing but the report wasn't necessary'? I believe the AIM and the regs REQUIRE that pilots report severe icing to ATC. And you're complaining about using extra fuel.

Denver can be a strange bird, you should know that if you are based there. Most of the time it's nice and sunny, but there are days with unforecast RVR600 FZFG, microbursts, tornados, and yes, severe ice. UAL 737's have taxiied in at DEN with an INCH of ice on their HOT WINGS before.

Very sarcastic, however, very informative debate. IMOO the guy knew what "severe" would do to the system. He said it for a reason and may have saved lives that night.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

snort

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

snort

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I don't consider continuing an approach in "severe" icing conditions a way to exit those conditions.

Again, I wasn't in their cockpit; I question whether the conditions were actually severe based on my standards--highly subjective obviously.

The conditions covered a very small part of the atmosphere, very difficult for me to see how severe icing could have occurred. Maybe the CL65 ices up differently from a 1900 though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back