Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
60 sucked.

65 sucks.

They both suck..Because they are arbitrary numbers based on nothing realistic.

We all know those Alzheimer types flying today at 55 or so, as well as some really sharp sticks that were kicked out in their prime at age 60.

There should be no set age limit ( okay 100, if you have to have one )...instead we should have realistic, scientifically based medicals that test cognitive function as well as true full physicals semi-annually.

What we have now is a perfunctory medical that is nothing more than a "dog and pony show" and a number for retirement age that may as well have been picked out of a hat randomly.

FAA Medicals and retirement age are ridiculous and unrealistic based on arbitrary bureaucratic nonsense, with no common sense applied.

Much like Rest and Duty rules... among many others.

YKW

Last edited:
Hey stop that!

60 sucked.

65 sucks.

They both suck..Because they are arbitrary numbers based on nothing realistic.

We all know those Alzheimer types flying today at 55 or so, as well as some really sharp sticks that were kicked out in their prime at age 60.

There should be no set age limit ( okay 100, if you have to have one )...instead we should have realistic, scientifically based medicals that test cognitive function as well as true full physicals semi-annually.

What we have now is a perfunctory medical that is nothing more than a "dog and pony show" and a number for retirement age that may as well have been picked out of a hat randomly.

FAA Medicals and retirement age are ridiculous and unrealistic based on arbitrary bureaucratic nonsense, with no common sense applied.

Much like Rest and Duty rules... among many others.

YKW
You are dealing with reality on FI, That is not fair to all those have invested so much into the non-realty of being a pilot.

No, let's NOT put someone who makes $100k reduced to $80k after deductions in the highest tax bracket because... news flash... at that income they're NOT in the highest tax bracket.

You're not ONLY writing off interest in the example of taking a loan out on a property to invest in other things (other rental property, etc), but you're ALSO making money on that investment capital.

You failed to realize we're NOT ONLY talking about a 6-7% reduction of taxes on $160,000 income but ALSO the INVESTMENT INCOME from that money you took the loan out for to begin with because the homes were PAID OFF to begin with, that means the loans he takes out on those properties is PURE INVESTMENT CAPITAL for OTHER INCOME GENERATION.

Don't quit your day job, Mr. Chairman...

Do you not understand how tax brackets work? That's unfortunate. For example, if the 28% bracket was from $100,000-$149,999 and the 35% bracket was from $150,000-$200,000 did you REALLY think the guy making $150,000 is paying more than $0.35 worth a taxes more than the $149,999 guy? They're PROGRESSIVE. You pay 35% on what you make after $150, etc. So "getting into the next bracket" is really kinda irrelevant, ok, it drops your overall tax burden a bit, but you suddenly aren't paying 28% on all your monies instead of 35%.

You fly planes? Scary scary.

Has anyone noticed how the original poster replied to this thread once on the same day, yet we continue to keep this alive?

Man, we like chum.

Entertaining thread. I got into the airline biz because it pays (paid) pretty good coin and I could retire ealier than the rest of the working slobs. Now I'm going to work at least as long as they are until the gummers change the number upward again.

Why anyone would want to do this J O B one second longer then they have to is beyond me. Mechanical, mind numbing, unfulfilling work that does one thing, put food on the table. Yeah, the instant I can get out, I'm gone. I can't wait for my company's manglers to go after my B plan now that I'm "permitted" to work until 65. Should be a good time dragging my bag around in my 60's. :rolleyes:

I think ALPA should have lobied for pilots to be able to collect full social security at 60 due to manditory retirement. This would have been the best of both worlds for everybody.

Why anyone would want to do this J O B one second longer then they have to is beyond me.

You or anyone else can quit at any age, at any time. :smash:

Yeah, the instant I can get out, I'm gone.

Haha we'll see. Come back when you're in your 60s and tell us that!

Should be a good time dragging my bag around in my 60's. :rolleyes:

Get your FO to lug it for you. With all that extra $$$ you could afford to pay him/her! :laugh:

Just like any other job

Why anyone would want to do this J O B one second longer then they have to is beyond me. Mechanical, mind numbing, unfulfilling work that does one thing, put food on the table. :rolleyes:
And of course this is not true of any other jobs that people have to work in to put food on the table.

I'm glad Pres Bush signed this bill into law.
You do realize that it was the Democrat controlled Congress that wrote the changes to the law, right? The President only signs the bill, vetos it, or ignores it for 10 days, in which case it would become law.

You need to take off the politically polarized glasses.

Hey Uncle Bunkle...

RETIRE you old jerks!

You knew the age limit was 60 your entire careers, so step down and get the hell outta here!

....I find it ironic that you post something like this when you avatar lists as A/C flown "Wright Flyer and Memphis Belle". Sounds like you should be the one to retire. You are either way old or just an old-fart-wannabe. Which is it?

"Licensed to Ill" You be illin' right now.... or should I say Wright now? , to match your Flyer?

Current position: "preparing to poo"??? Whether you're wearing Pampers or Depends, trust me they are full. Just like you are full of it.

I have been of furlough for over 7 years with a major and I don't whine about it on here like do. Sounds like your SJS is wearing off and you are tired of the regional you fly for or are missing the money you spent on a PFT operation to butt in line.

We are our own worst enemies in this industry.

Latest resources

Back