To the AirNet Puke who stole my seat...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UEJ500,

I didn't take it as a knock on Comair. I knew that the name of the company involved was just incidental to your story. I only mentioned Comair in my reply to make the point that regardless of the company I still felt that the lady in question was well within her right to claim the seat ahead of an offline jumpseater.

Caveman said:
What's with some of you and the idea that you are entitled to a JS because you are commuting? Seniority, first come first served, or off-line vs. company personnel are the rules. The fact that you are coming or going to work is irrelevant. Other people 'need' to be where they are going just as badly as you do. Most folks will do what ever is necessary to get as many on board as possible, whether it be writing a pass or riding the actual JS to let an off-line pilot have the last cabin seat. BUT, when there is only one seat left and my seniority, company affiliation or the time I showed up gets me on ahead of you...I'm going unless you can show me some extenuating circumstances, like a death in the family. I just don't see where you commuting to work has any bearing on the situation. The JS is a courtesy, not a right and nobody forced you to commute.

BTW, ACATERRY, this comment isn't directed at you because, frankly, I don't quite understand your whole situation. Apparantly he snaked you somehow, but just how escapes me. If he worked the system to bump you, then I agree it was a low blow.

BINGO!!!

not to bash eagle (love you guys for getting me home so much) but...

Trying to commute from DFW-SPS on Eagle post 9-11. Some guy wanted to do an observation ride in the jumpseat on an SF-340. Believe he was a new-hire cuz he wasnt in uniform. Long story short he took the flight which was wide open so I couldnt jumpseat. The last flight to SPS was overbooked so went to my alternate LAW. Little out of the way (from 10 min drive home to 1 hour drive home. DFW-SPS is much shorter by air). Probably just picked the wrong day to j/s on eagle but the dude doing the obs ride was able to get back on the last flight out of SPS that night. Yeah I know i'm crying but dude had no love lost for a guy that commutes.

Rook

I think the point has been lost.

It seems Mr. A$$face may have given acaTerry the impression, that he was aware of the consequences of his actions (changing his mind pass/js). I would speculate Mr. A$$face was just as oblivious to acaTerry as he was to the boredom form the chic he was hoping to bone.

I don't know him personally, but I have corresponded over time and acaTerry is a stand up guy. We weren't there to know if he is blowing it out of proportion or if Mr. A$$face needs a brotherly blanket party (denied boarding for effect).

Overall, I think this is a 'situational awareness' issue. AirNet lost it and maybe even was attempting to impress someone with his 'status' (pass/js). Sounds like it turned out in the wash where acaTerry came out a few bucks lighter, in any case. Bum deal. It is obvious aca has a grasp of the process with WN while A$$face ( is their a limit to how many times I can say that?) had no clue nor did he apparently care to as reflected by acaTerry's perceptions.

All carriers policies vary in priority in pass and js privilages, this should be a lesson or refresher to know the system and process for the carrier you intend to use and always have a plan B or verify bookings of intended flights.

It also sounds like the ground staff failed to recognize the impact of the events and maybe tell Mr. A$$face his actions were unnecessary and would inadvertently cost another rider some bling. Possibly a professional approach and discussion with Mr. A$$face regarding the procedures and policies he may not be aware of would have yielded a better solution. If Mr. A$$face continues his course then it seems a ritual killing or at a minimum, maming in some form is seriously on order.

This goes right in line with the junior flight crew bumping a js due to 'weight restrictions' on the last flight out of the night when that guy is trying to get home for a day or two.

JS/Passes are privilages and not rights. They can be revoked or ammended at any time. We saw this on 9-14-01. If I were in this situation, I would view it like this:

I am driving down the road and I see a set of shoulder boards and pilot uniform hitchhiking, broke down or changing a tire. I don't stop and ask whether he is mainline or express, WN or AA. I help him out, take him where he is going and trust one day the favor will be returned.

I also truly believe, what goes around comes around, and Mr. A$$face might be due if acaTerry's assessment is accurate.

100-1/2

p.s. -Terry, been in the sandbox lately?

Again, I'm sorry for your inconvenience. I also commute, two legs each way, and I understand how frustrating it can be. I worked for AirNet up until a year ago. At that time, we had an unlimited jumpseat agreement with WN. Many of their pilots traveled with us, late at night, in order to make a commute home or to work. I traveled on them several times, and never had a problem. I'm not sure exactly what transpired this particular day, but perhaps this person simply needed to be educated on the finer points of getting your fellow pilot to work. Sometimes the A$$face isn't trying to be just that. Perhaps sometimes it's simple ignorance that rules the day.

box

P.S. You can find my many fine philosophical works at your local bookstore, or Amazon.com .:p

I am confused about a few thinbgs and would appreciate it if someone could clear it up. First, what is unlimited jumpseat vs. not unlimited jumpseat? Second, what is a PASSWRITER? I have not heard this terminology. Thanks guys and if the Airnet guy was an a$$, I apologize on behalf of him and our company.

UEJ500 said:
I was bumped once after a long 4 day trip trying to get from RIC to STL. I was in CVG, a two leg commute is tough enough, but being stuck in between really bites. I was bumped by a wife of a Comair pilot who was going to the overnight with him! I was talking to her and she didn't seem to care that I had been gone for 4 days, two days off and had to use one of them to commute back!! She scurried on to the airplane pretty quick when her name was called.

And she should give up her seat so you can get home? Get real. If you can't hack the commute then move. Would you have wanted your wife/girlfriend or whatever to give up her seat if she was coming to see you on an overnight? Yeah, didn't think so.

In the past 6 months, I've given up the j/s to other pilots who were in more dire straights than I was. Twice I've had another pilot give up the jumpseat for me when I was in a bind. It's called professional courtesy. And yes, in regards to the pilot's wife scenario, if I were jumpseating out to my husband's RON and a pilot was trying to get to/from work, I would indeed give up that jumpseat. But that's just me.

Maybe she was ovulating and that was the only time they could have a kid... I dunno maybe freight pilot's think of everything! j/k

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back